Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I know its been done B4 BUT Perth or Brisban?

I know its been done B4 BUT Perth or Brisban?

Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default I know its been done B4 BUT Perth or Brisban?

Just wondering whats best about these two states? Im drawn to Perth because jobs seen plentiful, however Im put off because everyone says its very remote, Im also drawn to Brisban because its very busy and has the Gold Coast etc, any thoughts? views? opinions?

thanks
Bluekipper
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all
Default Re: I know its been done B4 BUT Perth or Brisban?

Hi i lived in perth in the 1980s loved the place & was going to go back, my family did the wanted down under program for the bbc in brisbane, we got offered work so came to brisbane. Since then we have helped a few familys move interstate, the common problem was the cost of living. Although they had no problems with perth, both parents had to work. I would check out living cost & salary. GARY
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Just wondering whats best about these two states? Im drawn to Perth because jobs seen plentiful, however Im put off because everyone says its very remote, Im also drawn to Brisban because its very busy and has the Gold Coast etc, any thoughts? views? opinions?

thanks
Bluekipper
Well, neither Perth nor BrisbanE are states. Both are cities within a state. Perth is in Western Australia, the largest state and Brisbane is in Queensland. Both are very different cities and on opposite sides of a very large country.

All of Australia is remote, so I always wonder what exactly people mean by that comment. It's not like you can jump on a plane and be in another country in an hour or two. There is NOTHING really close by. It's a long and expensive trip to go anywhere outside the country.

I've never lived in Brisbane, but do live in the Perth area. We love it here despite the cost of living. Yes, both of us work, but mainly because both of us like working and our children are old enough that they don't need full time care.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

everyone says its very remote
Don't listen to what 'everyone says'. Come and find out for yourself.

For me, Perth beats Brisbane every time.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:57 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, neither Perth nor BrisbanE are states. Both are cities within a state. Perth is in Western Australia, the largest state and Brisbane is in Queensland. Both are very different cities and on opposite sides of a very large country.

All of Australia is remote, so I always wonder what exactly people mean by that comment. It's not like you can jump on a plane and be in another country in an hour or two. There is NOTHING really close by. It's a long and expensive trip to go anywhere outside the country.

I've never lived in Brisbane, but do live in the Perth area. We love it here despite the cost of living. Yes, both of us work, but mainly because both of us like working and our children are old enough that they don't need full time care.
Perth is seen as the most remote part of Australia because of the distances to other cities.
http://www.outback-australia-travel-...australia.html

Consider that the other major cities in Australia are Adelaide, Cairns, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney. The average drive distance from Perth is just over 4000km, from Brisbane just over 1600km.

This shows up in airfares too unfortunately... On the east coast you can get some reasonable deals and be in another city within a couple of hours. Whereas with Perth, flights are more expensive and take longer....Melbourne 4hrs, Sydney 5hrs, Brisbane 5 and 1/2 hrs.

This means that if you are earning average $$$, trips to other cities can be costly and time consuming....hence why people call Perth "remote".
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of those questions I've never understood, sorry. Everyone wants or expects different things and come from a different life in the UK. Just because a couple of posters say they prefer either one, doesn't mean jack **** to anyone else and presumably no one would settle somewhere because of a comment by a total stranger.

Also hate to be pedantic but Brisbane doesn't 'have' the Gold Coast

Research and visiting is the only way you can ever know. Mind you, a job offer is a huge incentive to settle somewhere
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:39 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
This is one of those questions I've never understood, sorry. Everyone wants or expects different things and come from a different life in the UK. Just because a couple of posters say they prefer either one, doesn't mean jack **** to anyone else and presumably no one would settle somewhere because of a comment by a total stranger.

Also hate to be pedantic but Brisbane doesn't 'have' the Gold Coast

Research and visiting is the only way you can ever know. Mind you, a job offer is a huge incentive to settle somewhere
heh heh !! we do have the gold coast !! you belong to us, we are your state capital overlords.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Everyone wants or expects different things and come from a different life in the UK. Just because a couple of posters say they prefer either one, doesn't mean jack **** to anyone else and presumably no one would settle somewhere because of a comment by a total stranger.
Tell it like it is, sister.

Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
heh heh !! we do have the gold coast !! you belong to us, we are your state capital overlords.
Dream on mate
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Im also drawn to Brisban because its very busy
Is it?

Could've fooled me!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:50 am
Account Open

in all fairness, you guys are completely right....

Bluekipper, brisbane isnt' really that busy, and the gold coast is an hour by car.

Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Hi,

Just wanted to share my opinion with you. I live in the bayside area of Brisbane, SE QLD and we visited Perth, WA in 2004.

It really depends on what you as a family are looking for. We have lived in Brisbane for , 12 weeks now, the area where we live is nice, but not quite what we were after, so when our rental ends at the end of Jan then we will have hopefully have found somewhere new to live that meets all our expectations. Where we live there are not many pavements and you have to walk over neighbours lawns to get about, as if it was designed for everyone to drive everywhere, areas are so huge that you'd be lost if you couldn't drive.
There are lots of places to go and things to see in Brisbane and its surrounding areas. From where we are the Gold Coast is about an hours drive south, there's a seaside suburb called Redcliffe about 45 mins North which is lovely for a day out, theres beach surrounding it and there is a lagoon for all ages.
About 2 hours drive North is the Sunshine Coast, with the best beaches.
There is so much more to do, but you have to drive.

We loved Perth when we went in 2004, it was the sort of Australia that you imagine, but that could be because we stayed in a very nice area, an area that we couldn't afford if we were to have moved there. It's all about the area within those areas that you choose to live in. If your dream of Oz was the beautiful beaches and surfing, then you need to find an area that you could afford to live in that has both of them.
As everyone has stated, Perth is definitly more isolated, but it does have everything that you need and could want.
I found the people in Perth were more friendly and helpful and that there were more choices of nice beaches and you didn't have to drive too far to get to them.
The reason that we chose Brisbane in the end was because hubbys sister and her family emigrated here 3 years ago and we chose the area we live i because it was close to them, but are realising that this isn't where we want to be, but will soon do something about that.
If you will want to be travelling to and from the other Australian states on a regular basis, then you'll find Brisbane a good cloice, because of it's closer to them than Perth.
I found that Perth city centre was less busy and far more chilled out and relaxed than brisbane city centre.
I also find the roads in Brisbane a lot busier than in Perth.
The desicion is yours and you need to think about what it is you really want, but you have to be realistic about it and don't go with rose tinted glasses on.
Hope this helped, Lisa
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:32 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Stuff it, go to Sydney.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for your replies,, I would never make my decison based on just comments by ppl I dont know! however to get a picture of somewhere in your head helps a little, I will obviously do more research and visit Perth asap to make a more informed decision!

Thanks lots

bluekipper
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:24 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit like asking which is best small or XL size nickers, depends on the size on your arse!

thanks
Bluekipper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.