Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I know this has been answered a 1000 times but please...

I know this has been answered a 1000 times but please...

Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:44 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default I know this has been answered a 1000 times but please...

Just need to know - Once receiving your medicare card can you use it straight away OR do you have to have made contributions/certain time period etc?
Also if you take private health insurance do you need to have made contributions for a set period before it coming into affect

I will be looking into this fully but for a start was hoping someone here could get me started.

Thanks

PS- I think this is my first real question
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:48 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: I know this has been answered a 1000 times but please...

Originally Posted by seang
Just need to know - Once receiving your medicare card can you use it straight away OR do you have to have made contributions/certain time period etc?
Hi seang

I can only help with this question [don't know answer to the second I'm afraid...sorry]

You can use your Medicare card straight away. They normally provide you with a temp [paper] card and send you a plastic version once it's been processed, hence the paper medicare card enables you to use immediatly.

Hope this makes sense

Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep you can use your medicare card immediately. Private health insurance usually has a waiting period of 3 to 6 months depending on which insurer you go with. I was lucky as my employer provides health insurance and the waiting periods were waived.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:15 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks All . Appriciate that.

Now off to suss out medicare site
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:19 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by seang
Thanks All . Appriciate that.

Now off to suss out medicare site

Like the others have said, straight away. Also you don't need to make contributions of any sort, I don't even think you need to be working to have one
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:32 am
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Like the others have said, straight away. Also you don't need to make contributions of any sort, I don't even think you need to be working to have one
Great stuff thanks.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

My Medibank private does not-kick in for 3 months and even then there is a scale of kick-in times for various types of treatments.
Up to a year before some things are covered.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:14 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
My Medibank private does not-kick in for 3 months and even then there is a scale of kick-in times for various types of treatments.
Up to a year before some things are covered.
Anyone know of a private company that is good and starts off straight away??? Has anyone managed to carry over UK insurance?

Kala
Old Jan 6th 2005, 2:23 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Anyone know of a private company that is good and starts off straight away??? Has anyone managed to carry over UK insurance?

Kala
I think Medibank may have a "super" plan type think which waves a lot of the delay...but costs more of course.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:16 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bix
I think Medibank may have a "super" plan type think which waves a lot of the delay...but costs more of course.

Cheers bix, I'll have a llok at that

Ta Kala
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:23 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Kala
Kala
I use MBF "overseas vistor cover" and that has no waiting period (provided you dont arrive with something!!)

Andrew
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:46 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Kala
With mine (HCF) the waiting periods were only for pre-existing conditions. The waiting periods were from 3 to 12 months but we got a special offer and they were all reduced to 2 months except pregnancy. Any new conditions were covered straight away.

Regards
Alistair