British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   i know B.E was a godsend to me coming out here...but..? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/i-know-b-e-godsend-me-coming-out-here-but-704823/)

aston Feb 10th 2011 1:31 pm

B.E was a godsend to me coming out here....?

if you had your time over,would you use a company that would sort your rentals,cars ,airport pick ups,tours.etc,etc.

Buzzy--Bee Feb 10th 2011 7:04 pm

Re: B.E was a godsend to me coming out here....?

Originally Posted by aston (Post 9166842)
if you had your time over,would you use a company that would sort your rentals,cars ,airport pick ups,tours.etc,etc.

No because I can do all that stuff better myself.

BB

Dreamy Feb 10th 2011 7:31 pm

No - but we were lucky that Himself's employer had someone from HR and a taxi waiting for us at the airport, we had 6 weeks in a furnished apartment and Himself had a work Ute 2 days after we arrived.

Perhaps it would have been good to have someone sort out a rental - but I would have still wanted to have been involved in the process, I would have just wanted to go 'I'll have that one, make it so'.

The Crow Feb 10th 2011 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9167493)

BB

I agree :thumbup:

markbhx Feb 10th 2011 9:36 pm

All I had was a suitcase, cash and a 2 week hostel reservation. Now been here 4 years

moneypenny20 Feb 10th 2011 9:56 pm

Re: i know B.E was a godsend to me coming out here...but..?

No. It was no real hassle and all part of the 'adventure' imo.

Sandra Feb 10th 2011 10:05 pm

Re: i know B.E was a godsend to me coming out here...but..?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9167915)
No. It was no real hassle and all part of the 'adventure' imo.

Agree - plus it made us find things out for ourselves asap

DadAgain Feb 10th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9167877)
All I had was a suitcase, cash and a 2 week hostel reservation. Now been here 4 years

You over-planned. :D

I had a backpack.... and about $150 cash. It took me *almost* a week before I had a job, an apartment and everything I needed. That was 13 years ago and now hard as I try and just cant seem to manage to get back. :huh:

Geordie George Feb 10th 2011 11:45 pm

We've done the move twice now (once in 2005 and last year). The first time we did things on our own, as we'd just got the visas and we had no jobs etc. This time we made the move as Aussie citizens with a job lined up for Mr GG. Himself's employer arranged most things for us this time - flights, temporary accommodation and a relocation agent. So we have experience of going alone and having someone else take care of everything. On the whole, I preferred organising everything myself. You still have to OK decisions, which often involves lots of emails back and forth and is more time consuming than just sorting it yourself. I know a few people who've used relocation agents and all seem to be of the same opinion - they're a glorified taxi service. I'd have been annoyed at the cost if we'd paid for their services.

comet555 Feb 11th 2011 2:39 am

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9167877)

Lol.... We had 4 suitcases and two kids (aged 3 and 9 months) and no hotel reservations at all. We didn't even think to get money before hand so I had to exchange whatever Canadian money happened to be in my wallet when we arrived in the Sydney airport. Everything else was perfectly planned except our actual arrival! I figured a rental car and a credit card would sort everything out :rofl:

So no... we wouldn't have bothered with a service that would do all those things. It was a bit of a pain with the kids in tow but other than that I think it's a good learning experience to do all that stuff. We learned a lot about our area by having to furnish an entire household and get kids in school, etc.

BadgeIsBack Feb 11th 2011 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9167493)

BB

Originally Posted by The Crow (Post 9167863)
I agree :thumbup:

Agreed.

However if someone is footing the bill then I would accept the help like a furnished apartment.

I can't work out why people use migration agents for straight forward (non-medical?) cases. It's just a load of form-filling.

moneypenny20 Feb 11th 2011 5:54 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 9168680)
Agreed.

However if someone is footing the bill then I would accept the help like a furnished apartment.

I can't work out why people use migration agents for straight forward (non-medical?) cases. It's just a load of form-filling.

Which you still have to do, you're just paying someone to tell you to fill in the forms, it's not like they do it for you.

newjersey Feb 11th 2011 6:01 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 9168680)

two things come to mind - not everyone is good with legalese and some people would rather someone else be responsible if it goes pearshaped. You can't imagine the questions popping up in the immi section every once in a while - what do I put in the age box (I am 33 years and 10 months old)? what country am I a resident of? I have done an online degree in cross-stitching what state can sponsor me? I applied for a visa 8 minutes ago, where is my Australian passport and why there is no limo taking me to a private jet to fly over? Supposedly, an agent could field most of these.

moneypenny20 Feb 11th 2011 6:09 am

Originally Posted by newjersey (Post 9168758)
two things come to mind - not everyone is good with legalese and some people would rather someone else be responsible if it goes pearshaped. You can't imagine the questions popping up in the immi section every once in a while - what do I put in the age box (I am 33 years and 10 months old)? what country am I a resident of? I have done an online degree in cross-stitching what state can sponsor me? I applied for a visa 8 minutes ago, where is my Australian passport and why there is no limo taking me to a private jet to fly over? Supposedly, an agent could field most of these.

Unfortunately, it is generally those people who have agents who still ask those questions and then get huffy when it's suggested they ask the person they're paying. :blink::lol: Sadly some people reading this will think you've made up those scenarios. :sneaky:

BadgeIsBack Feb 11th 2011 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9168743)
Which you still have to do, you're just paying someone to tell you to fill in the forms, it's not like they do it for you.

Gee..the money is better off in my pocket...

however I can see the need in borderline cases.