Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i know B.E was a godsend to me coming out here...but..?

i know B.E was a godsend to me coming out here...but..?

Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B.E was a godsend to me coming out here....?

if you had your time over,would you use a company that would sort your rentals,cars ,airport pick ups,tours.etc,etc.

Last edited by aston; Feb 10th 2011 at 1:55 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:04 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B.E was a godsend to me coming out here....?

Originally Posted by aston
if you had your time over,would you use a company that would sort your rentals,cars ,airport pick ups,tours.etc,etc.
No because I can do all that stuff better myself.

BB
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:31 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

No - but we were lucky that Himself's employer had someone from HR and a taxi waiting for us at the airport, we had 6 weeks in a furnished apartment and Himself had a work Ute 2 days after we arrived.

Perhaps it would have been good to have someone sort out a rental - but I would have still wanted to have been involved in the process, I would have just wanted to go 'I'll have that one, make it so'.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB

I agree
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

All I had was a suitcase, cash and a 2 week hostel reservation. Now been here 4 years
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i know B.E was a godsend to me coming out here...but..?

No. It was no real hassle and all part of the 'adventure' imo.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i know B.E was a godsend to me coming out here...but..?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No. It was no real hassle and all part of the 'adventure' imo.
Agree - plus it made us find things out for ourselves asap
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:05 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markbhx
All I had was a suitcase, cash and a 2 week hostel reservation. Now been here 4 years
You over-planned.

I had a backpack.... and about $150 cash. It took me *almost* a week before I had a job, an apartment and everything I needed. That was 13 years ago and now hard as I try and just cant seem to manage to get back.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:45 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We've done the move twice now (once in 2005 and last year). The first time we did things on our own, as we'd just got the visas and we had no jobs etc. This time we made the move as Aussie citizens with a job lined up for Mr GG. Himself's employer arranged most things for us this time - flights, temporary accommodation and a relocation agent. So we have experience of going alone and having someone else take care of everything. On the whole, I preferred organising everything myself. You still have to OK decisions, which often involves lots of emails back and forth and is more time consuming than just sorting it yourself. I know a few people who've used relocation agents and all seem to be of the same opinion - they're a glorified taxi service. I'd have been annoyed at the cost if we'd paid for their services.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:39 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by markbhx
Lol.... We had 4 suitcases and two kids (aged 3 and 9 months) and no hotel reservations at all. We didn't even think to get money before hand so I had to exchange whatever Canadian money happened to be in my wallet when we arrived in the Sydney airport. Everything else was perfectly planned except our actual arrival! I figured a rental car and a credit card would sort everything out

So no... we wouldn't have bothered with a service that would do all those things. It was a bit of a pain with the kids in tow but other than that I think it's a good learning experience to do all that stuff. We learned a lot about our area by having to furnish an entire household and get kids in school, etc.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB
Originally Posted by The Crow
I agree
Agreed.

However if someone is footing the bill then I would accept the help like a furnished apartment.

I can't work out why people use migration agents for straight forward (non-medical?) cases. It's just a load of form-filling.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agreed.

However if someone is footing the bill then I would accept the help like a furnished apartment.

I can't work out why people use migration agents for straight forward (non-medical?) cases. It's just a load of form-filling.
Which you still have to do, you're just paying someone to tell you to fill in the forms, it's not like they do it for you.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:01 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
two things come to mind - not everyone is good with legalese and some people would rather someone else be responsible if it goes pearshaped. You can't imagine the questions popping up in the immi section every once in a while - what do I put in the age box (I am 33 years and 10 months old)? what country am I a resident of? I have done an online degree in cross-stitching what state can sponsor me? I applied for a visa 8 minutes ago, where is my Australian passport and why there is no limo taking me to a private jet to fly over? Supposedly, an agent could field most of these.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by newjersey
two things come to mind - not everyone is good with legalese and some people would rather someone else be responsible if it goes pearshaped. You can't imagine the questions popping up in the immi section every once in a while - what do I put in the age box (I am 33 years and 10 months old)? what country am I a resident of? I have done an online degree in cross-stitching what state can sponsor me? I applied for a visa 8 minutes ago, where is my Australian passport and why there is no limo taking me to a private jet to fly over? Supposedly, an agent could field most of these.
Unfortunately, it is generally those people who have agents who still ask those questions and then get huffy when it's suggested they ask the person they're paying. Sadly some people reading this will think you've made up those scenarios.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Which you still have to do, you're just paying someone to tell you to fill in the forms, it's not like they do it for you.
Gee..the money is better off in my pocket...

however I can see the need in borderline cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.