Reload this Page >

I have no clue about Oz..?

I have no clue about Oz..?

Old Apr 1st 2009, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

xcarlymeganx is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I have no clue about Oz..?

Hello,

Ive always dreamed of moving somewhere hot with great beaches and nice houses! Naturally Australia has been one of the places i have considered. Trouble is i have no idea about australia, and the good places to live.

What worries me is the spiders Hehe! Allthe dangerous creatures. Oz is beautiful and i dont want these things to put me off moving...but is there ANYWHERE in australia, where you dont have to always check your shoes, bedsheets, toilets etc for harmful spiders everyday? Or deadly snakes crawling up your toilet and stuff! Ive seen programmes on Oz, and they say you need to check so many things everyday, it sounds exhausting! Im just wondering if its like this in all of australia?

Any recommendations on where is nice to live? (I like to be close to a city, but not in the city, nice house with a decent bit of land, quiet, but not too quiet)

Help!! Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: I have no clue about Oz..?

Originally Posted by xcarlymeganx
Hello,

Ive always dreamed of moving somewhere hot with great beaches and nice houses! Naturally Australia has been one of the places i have considered. Trouble is i have no idea about australia, and the good places to live.

What worries me is the spiders Hehe! Allthe dangerous creatures. Oz is beautiful and i dont want these things to put me off moving...but is there ANYWHERE in australia, where you dont have to always check your shoes, bedsheets, toilets etc for harmful spiders everyday? Or deadly snakes crawling up your toilet and stuff! Ive seen programmes on Oz, and they say you need to check so many things everyday, it sounds exhausting! Im just wondering if its like this in all of australia?

Any recommendations on where is nice to live? (I like to be close to a city, but not in the city, nice house with a decent bit of land, quiet, but not too quiet)

Help!! Thanks
I think you need to come here on holiday!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I also think you should visit on holiday but even if you do this its not really a good indication of "real" life if that makes sense?Although you will get a pretty good idea of the place!I would gather as much information on this website as you possibly can regarding visa's,work,accomodation,medical matters ect before you even consider moving to Oz.Yes you certainly do have to be careful with spiders ect,not paranoid but definately careful and obviously aware of what to avoid ect.Not all spiders in Oz are deadly!!!Its nice to watch tv shows about Oz but better I feel to get the real stories ect as I said from this website and by talking to people.Good luck!xx
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
I think you need to come here on holiday!
I used to live near Mount Barker!Fancy that!!!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:04 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Hello,

Help!! Thanks
Spain perhaps?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
Spain perhaps?
South of France, Italy, USA Somewhere in South America?? The list goes on
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:10 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

or Australia

I don't think many locals put themselves through the gruelling nasties-checking you describe! I don't and I'm a little nervous of such things. The stats prove that your chances of being bitten or mauled are very rare. More likely to be stung by a bee and die.

If you can visit here first it might be for the best. There are plenty of places to live that offer what you describe but what is your area of work and what's your budget and what sort of lifestyle do you like?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I have to get up 10 minutes earlier than in the UK to check the whole house and all the family shoes everyday for nasty creatures......
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:02 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

Help!! Thanks
Yes l check my toilet everyday incase there a deadly Taipan snake in it and under by bedsheet everday incase theres a nest of deadly funnel web spiders and l don't dare wonder into my backyard incase l get eaten by a croc or a man eating koala.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 1st 2009 at 10:04 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:07 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by london52
Spain perhaps?
No too many deadly animals, people get gored and trampled to death by Bulls over there its too dangerous.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:12 pm
Banned

Hello,

Help!! Thanks
l think your heading " l have no clue about OZ" says it all, l think you should follow other peoples advice and come for a holiday and you will find there aren't deadly creatures crawling everywhere waiting to jump out and kill you, l think more people are killed by bee and wasp stings in the UK then snake and spider bites in OZ.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before and I'll say it again...We came here in 2006 with 5 children. In the past 2 1/2 years we've lost one to a man eating shark while we were sitting on the beach having a picnic. Bloody shark came right out of the water and took him. We lost another to a 6' spider wearing size 12 Adidas. I'm not sure what kind of spider it was, but I didn't bother to check under the toilet seat that morning and voila! One less child. The third was lost to a snake which was hiding in a shoe. Those brown snakes are really wily buggers, I'll tell ya. Though how anything could have survived in my kids' shoe is beyond me. It must have really been looking for someone to kill.

Now, I have 2 kids left and we're thinking we really should move somewhere that crocs are prevelant. Anyone know of nice places in Darwin?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:27 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

In 8 years I have not seen a redback, funnelweb, snake of any description or a shark in the wild. The only freaky thing I have seen is a huntsmen and that was sorted with a spray of mortein.

Nothig to worry about especially if you choose to pest spray your property.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Help!! Thanks
Vaucluse, Sydney.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 1:40 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
In 8 years I have not seen a redback, funnelweb, snake of any description or a shark in the wild. The only freaky thing I have seen is a huntsmen and that was sorted with a spray of mortein.

Nothig to worry about especially if you choose to pest spray your property.
agreed, if you live in one of the cities you will be lucky/unlucky to come across something deadly. The worst you have the most chances of encourtering in Brisbane is probably a redback which isn't likely to kill you.
I love the dangerous animals and it's really only if you go looking for them in bushland will you be likely to encounter something.

Not trying to put you off, but one of my ex-colleagues at my old job, near Brisbane airport (so fairly bushland, not overly developped) found 4 baby redbellied black snakes in her office one morning. Turns out the snake had come in during the winter to hibernate, laid its eggs and buggered off afterwards leaving the eggs to hatch some months later.

very rare though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.