Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I Have Never Been! - But Going Out For Good Soon!

Wikiposts

I Have Never Been! - But Going Out For Good Soon!

Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:04 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: I Have Never Been! - But Going Out For Good Soon!

Originally Posted by andy & jayne
I had to read this a number of times!! Presumably you meant if 'your' family wanted to come out?? Not 'any' family??

I thought it a liitle generous

Jayne
Hehehehe

I really should check my waffle before I post it!!!!! :scared:

no only our immediate family, before everyone starts sending us pictures of their relatives!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:11 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Have Never Been! - But Going Out For Good Soon!

You are not alone in any sense of the imagination. We didnt take a reccie because we didnt think 2 weeks was any time to get a view of a country and we were worried we might not like it !!

It cant be that bad - lots of australians live here... we've been here 5 weeks and counting and feel like we've lived here forever... we're in brisbane and love it.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:51 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, we will be in Perth before Xmas

I went to the 'Emigration Show' at Sandown and sat in on one of the talks. The hosts were saying that you would be very foolish just to go out there without first doing a reccie and deciding whether its right for you!

Unfortunately, as probably like a lot of people, we own a business which does not allow us to take time off and plus the fact when there is 5 of you it tends to be quite expensive to purchase tickets plus accommodation & living expenses.

My husband was out there at the beginning of the 90's for about 2 years and said that he would one day end his days there, I am very excited about the move, I have no worries at all.

Is there anyone else in the same boat?? Going out without being before??

Surely I am not the only one

Jayne
Hi Jayne, me and my hubby are also moving next year without ever visitng, We have no children ourselve yet but we cant afford to visit beforehand as it is just too much money to take out of the money we are going to need when we get there to have our house built. I am very nervous about going and I am worried that I will become isolated because I plan on not working at first so we can have our house built, because we have no children I am worried that I will be alone and will find it harder to meet new people. it is a gamble but as they say "you only live once" The hardest thing for me is to leave my family as I am sure it is the same for most people.
Good Luck
Julie
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:52 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Expos, schmexpos, head for Earls Court and ask a barman! Get yerselves on the visa path and follow your dreams, you only live once!
Says it all really Mr meat...

They say that emigrating to a place cos you liked it when you were on holiday is not a good thing to do either.
I mean, I'm sure all those folks that emigrated on the £10 VISA (or what ever it was called )way back didnt do that!

BTW folks dont eat white bread it gives you arse-boils or was that brown bread, no its eggs or was that red meat?....
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:20 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Malc's been before so he's OK, but I've never been and we've decided not to do a rekkie, mainly because I'm worried that I'd get over there think and loose my bottle!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

I went to the 'Emigration Show' at Sandown and sat in on one of the talks. The hosts were saying that you would be very foolish just to go out there without first doing a reccie and deciding whether its right for you!

Unfortunately, as probably like a lot of people, we own a business which does not allow us to take time off and plus the fact when there is 5 of you it tends to be quite expensive to purchase tickets plus accommodation & living expenses.

My husband was out there at the beginning of the 90's for about 2 years and said that he would one day end his days there, I am very excited about the move, I have no worries at all.

Jayne
Hi Jayne,

Hubby and I have been having LOTS of discussions on this subject and no one can make this decision for you, but here are our views on it ......

At first we were going to go over to Adelaide in October and make it big a holiday & recce trip. HOWEVER, like you, there are 5 of us (three of us needing adult tickets!) and I guess we wouldnt see much change out of GB£8,000 :scared: That is A LOT of money out of our 'new life fund'!

How much are we going to gain from a recce trip??? We'd want to look at schools and areas to live but until we are actually living out there and experiencing day to day life, we wont know what an area or school is really like - being on holiday and living somewhere are so completely different.

At the end of the day, we have taken the mammoth decision to emigrate so we'll just sit on our hard earned cash and put it towards our massive MORTAGE FREE house with large pool

All the best with your decision.

Regards
Karen & Co
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:12 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine has just got back from a reccie to Adelaide and said two weeks just wasnt long enough.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Me and my girlfriend went this time last year and it is just as gorgeous as your imagination will let u dream. It is very warm so not for everyone.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

sudds is on a distinguished road

family of 5 ,3 teenagers and lunatic parents......no money for a recce only gut instinct.....adds to the adventure as does selling the house without a visa.
Bit like gambling but i dont gamble?
good luck to all
Sudds
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Thanks Alistair,

We find ourselves, whenever we have a spare moment, on the internet living the Aussie life - when they invent a computer that gives the affect of sunshine and the sounds of the waves, then there will be alot of happy people, i'm sure!!

Really excited about the whole thing, just wish they would pull their fingers out and request our meds/police checks!!

Jayne
Have to say that this is us as well. Everyday I am on this thing looking at house prices, schools, etc. I go onto The Age website to look at the current affairs in Oz. Oz is all I can think about. I love looking at all the things to do with the children. Our son has ADHD and the UK lifestyle simply does not suit him (being cooped up and all that) and having grown up in South Africa (even though I was born here in the UK) I am a bit of a fair weather child. We tried the UK for 8 years and knew after a trip to Oz simply to visit family that it was where we wanted to be. The kids are so excited about it and we just simply cannot wait.

Roll on visa time
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:31 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Jayne
Non of us have ever been ( x4 ) but really excited about the prospect as well as a little scared but what the hell you only live once
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,we re going to brisbane in just 8wks time,and we ve never been before either,we did think about going on a reccie trip,but we thought that the amount of money it would cost us for a couple of weeks holiday would pay the rent for around 6mths when we get there,and we wouldnt find much out from a hotel room in 2 wks anyway,so we decided to just go for it,we ve done lots of research though,and narrowed it down to a few areas we want to look at,but we can take our time when we get there to have a really good look around rather than trying to cram it all in just a couple of weeks

so dont worry your not on your own at all.tracey
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I think a good indication is the fact that so many people want to move there. I've been a couple of times where Karen has never been but i still think that until you get there and given it a bit of time then that is the only way you will know that it is for you.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:13 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

It is daunting taking the plunge to move half way around the world without having been there before, the smallest of things can make or break it, the experiences you have in the first few days will shape the way you think about your new home and it will take a long time to change those opinions.

Coming over on a rekkie is certainly the best thing to do, but with a family you would much rather spend the money on your new life, the cost of a rekkie for a family of 4 equates to a new car here in oz, perhaps more!

Have a look at this site www.movetoperth.com it will give you lots of helpful information and advise and gives you the oppertunity to have us do the rekkie for you, we can do as little or as much for you as you want. As good as being here yourself? Never, but not a bad second best. Sadly using our services will not allow you to sample the feel of the sun on your skin as you lie on the beach or lounge by the pool, we get to keep that to ourselves, at least until you get here.

Speaking from experience, nothing beats having someone on the ground to help you through things.

Good Luck to everyone with your new lives

Lynn
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We've now been here for 6 months plus. We hadn't been before either - too expensive to do a reccie with a family of 4. I realise now that a short trip of 2/3 weeks wouldn't have been enough to get the feel of the place at all. For the first few weeks I was really disorientated and didn't like the place that much (anticlimax after all the stress of moving), but I love it now. You look at things totally differently when you're here to live rather than here to be on holiday. We considered coming for 2 years then getting citizenship before returning if we didn't like the place, but I'm sure we'll stay as the place is growing on us all the time.
All the best
Larissa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.