Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I have come to the conclusion

I have come to the conclusion

Old May 2nd 2007, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default I have come to the conclusion

after spending hours on the internet, speaking to relocation agents and hearing horror stories about renting houses that it may be a good idea to buy a home soon after arriving in Sydney.
We could stay in a furnished apartment and spend 2-3 weeks looking at houses for sale. It would mean no more moving, unpacking etc. we could move in, rent a bit of furniture and wait for our container to arrive and get on with our lives, get the girls into school etc, Has anyone done this, found a home to purchase soon after arriving? Have spent hours looking at homes for sale on the internet and have found quite a few that would be perfect for us. Am I being unrealistic ? All comments welcome!
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have come to the conclusion

Originally Posted by Pisces
after spending hours on the internet, speaking to relocation agents and hearing horror stories about renting houses that it may be a good idea to buy a home soon after arriving in Sydney.
We could stay in a furnished apartment and spend 2-3 weeks looking at houses for sale. It would mean no more moving, unpacking etc. we could move in, rent a bit of furniture and wait for our container to arrive and get on with our lives, get the girls into school etc, Has anyone done this, found a home to purchase soon after arriving? Have spent hours looking at homes for sale on the internet and have found quite a few that would be perfect for us. Am I being unrealistic ? All comments welcome!
When we arrived in Australia, we found a rental close to my Aunt. She loves the neighbourhood, told us it had everything we needed etc etc, basically she sold us the area.

After living there for 8 months we came to the conclusion that although it was a nice area, it really wan't what WE liked, so just be careful that you chose your area well, if you don't like it for any reason it's not as easy to move when you've bought, as it is if you're renting.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:03 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
When we arrived in Australia, we found a rental close to my Aunt. She loves the neighbourhood, told us it had everything we needed etc etc, basically she sold us the area.

After living there for 8 months we came to the conclusion that although it was a nice area, it really wan't what WE liked, so just be careful that you chose your area well, if you don't like it for any reason it's not as easy to move when you've bought, as it is if you're renting.
good point Wendy,

we rented for a total of 18 months, as i wanted to be absolutley sure we were building our house in the right location etc
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Definitely a lot more to Sydney than meets the eye. Geographically it's one of the biggest cities in the world, 5th largest I think.

Many Sydnyites are time poor. While a commute of say 1hr is indicated that's not necessarily how long it takes from door to door.

Being close to where you work is a big advantage not only in time but cost. For example living in the west and commuting to central by car can cost you 2hrs each way and transport costs of up to $200/week.

The state govt is at least 10 yrs behind in infrastructure and the public transport system just gets worse every year. In my 8 yrs there it went from bearable to unbearable.

The NSW economy has stagnated over the last few years and the property market is drifting. The independent economists predict a continuing if not worsening in the State economy.

Stae taxes, fees and stamp duty are creeping up. I recently got a greenslip renewal for one of my vehicles that had increased from $800 last year to $1500 this year (commercial truck) - that's insane

Good luck
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

IMO it would be difficult to get a real good feel for all the areas in that time frame - but you could be lucky. Friends of ours bought a house soon after arriving - hated the area after a couple of months and then sold it after 9 months - cost them dearly, financially.
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a bad idea,,, it doesn't matter how much research you do on the net you can't get a real feel for a place until you've been there for a while.
Before we came we picked an area to live in based on internet research, price of houses, recommendations from friends etc,, now that we are here I wouldn't live there if you paid me!!
Renting is a pain but it gives you a good base to travel around and find somewhere you will be really happy

Last edited by Poppett44; May 2nd 2007 at 7:05 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

The one advantage of your problem is the property price wise is as one
agent quoted flat as a tack meaning not rising in outer suburbs ie with the exeption of
beaches and pockets of sydney CBD my advise is to rent Sydney is one of
the most diverse citys in the world And personally to purchase a property
a.s.a.p is financialy not to good an idea and things in small adverts by realtors
are shown in the best light thay dont show the white ants and bad neighbors
good luck

Last edited by stariston; May 2nd 2007 at 7:38 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

My advice as both a buyers agent and as someone who's previously moved around a lot in my history, DON'T DO IT!!!
2-3 weeks looking in a city that you don't know is simply insufficient to gain a feel for prices, let alone areas that you would be happy to put one's roots down. The cost of purchasing property is expensive enough, without realising a year or two down the track that you've made a mistake and wish to relocate to a different suburb.

Rent for 6 mths and take a little time to settle into your new surroundings. Everyone has diverse tastes, and so what you may be seeking in terms of neighbourhoods and facilities may well be contrary to that of well meaning advisors.

As well as this, RE agents will pick up "new arrivals" a mile off and use this to their great advantage Far better to be savvy 6-12 mths after you arrive, and conduct your due diligence on property in an area you definitely want to live, and are more familiar with true market values as well.

What area of Sydney were you considering, by the way?
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

You are right, I suppose it would make sense to wait 6 months. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but thinking about it we still have to get approval for a bond/morgage etc. and then wait for the occupants to move out which I suppose all takes time.
It just sounds like a bit of a nightmare having to rent a house and then having to rent furniture etc. when you have 2 young children and then move again in 6 months. My husband was in Sydney a month ago and liked the areas of Lane Cove, Wahroonga, and Frenchs Forest and visited the schools in those areas.
I have been an expat for about 15 years now and we have never owned our own home. I have moved about 7 times and absolutely hate it. I really have itchy feet and want to finally settle down. Thanks for the advice.
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

I feel your frustration and sense of impending tiredness already
Been there, done that....

When we moved from NZ back to Oz (ten yrs ago now) we rented a serviced apartment for about 8 weeks whilst finding a rental property and waiting for our effects to arrive. It wasn't that bad and gave us breathing space to at least locate a rental that suited us. We also knew that we'd be buying our own place within the year, but the 12 mths renting flew by so fast that it seems like weeks, looking back.

As for locating furnished rentals, it's difficult to locate furnished homes in Sydney as most furnished places tend to be serviced apartments in and close to the city. When we moved to NZ and had to find something furnished, we ended up negotiating a higher rent with a landlord to furnish the empty place he had up for rent. You may be able to do the same in Sydney, depending on how long you intend to rent for without furniture. However, I'd be trying to get your container over asap and simply rent furnished units (or stay with some kind relatives!) until you get your act together.

Best of luck with it all
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

You are right, I suppose it would make sense to wait 6 months. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but thinking about it we still have to get approval for a bond/morgage etc. and then wait for the occupants to move out which I suppose all takes time.
It just sounds like a bit of a nightmare having to rent a house and then having to rent furniture etc. when you have 2 young children and then move again in 6 months. My husband was in Sydney a month ago and liked the areas of Lane Cove, Wahroonga, and Frenchs Forest and visited the schools in those areas.
I have been an expat for about 15 years now and we have never owned our own home. I have moved about 7 times and absolutely hate it. I really have itchy feet and want to finally settle down. Thanks for the advice.
Go Frenches Forest, better central area than the other two by far. Good selection of schools in the area. Express bus routes into the city along Waringa Rd (main road), is just a hop skip and jump to the northern beaches, shopping and services etc
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jacque
I feel your frustration and sense of impending tiredness already
Been there, done that....

When we moved from NZ back to Oz (ten yrs ago now) we rented a serviced apartment for about 8 weeks whilst finding a rental property and waiting for our effects to arrive. It wasn't that bad and gave us breathing space to at least locate a rental that suited us. We also knew that we'd be buying our own place within the year, but the 12 mths renting flew by so fast that it seems like weeks, looking back.

As for locating furnished rentals, it's difficult to locate furnished homes in Sydney as most furnished places tend to be serviced apartments in and close to the city. When we moved to NZ and had to find something furnished, we ended up negotiating a higher rent with a landlord to furnish the empty place he had up for rent. You may be able to do the same in Sydney, depending on how long you intend to rent for without furniture. However, I'd be trying to get your container over asap and simply rent furnished units (or stay with some kind relatives!) until you get your act together.

Best of luck with it all
Get a place and rent your essential furniture on a month by month plan until your stuff arrives, Consider putting together an express shipping pack that will get there fast like linens etc
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchs Forest/Forestville- another area that I know well. Very green, close to beaches and not too far from city. Wide open spaces, lovely valley views from some housing and rents ok. For example:

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=5265501

And just when I said furnished places were hard to come by, this one has the goods!
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much. Will make enquiries about the furnished house, it does look perfect. You guys are great! Thanks for the info re Frenchs Forest. My hubbie loved the school so think I will concentrate on that area. If we caught the train into town from Frenchs Forest how long would the commute be?
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much. Will make enquiries about the furnished house, it does look perfect. You guys are great! Thanks for the info re Frenchs Forest. My hubbie loved the school so think I will concentrate on that area. If we caught the train into town from Frenchs Forest how long would the commute be?
No trains only buses.