Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I hate Westpac bank thread

I hate Westpac bank thread

Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default I hate Westpac bank thread

Is it so difficult for this bank to offer the same information as their Internet banking, sitting & waiting at their branch cause they don't agree with the information which was given to us, bloody fed up with them.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate westpac bank theard

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Is it so difficult for this bank to offer the same information as their Internet banking, sitting & waiting at their branch cause they don't agree with the information which was given to us, bloody fed up with them.
Only problem we have had we Westpac is that when we opened the account from the UK and they said our cards etc would be waiting for us at the Oz branch, they were not. They re-ordered then and we had them in 10 days. they let us draw money from the branch using passports as i.d. no problem.

They gave me a credit card and mortgage on 457 visa no problem...actually never asked!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Re: I hate westpac bank theard

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Only problem we have had we Westpac is that when we opened the account from the UK and they said our cards etc would be waiting for us at the Oz branch, they were not. They re-ordered then and we had them in 10 days. they let us draw money from the branch using passports as i.d. no problem.

They gave me a credit card and mortgage on 457 visa no problem...actually never asked!
Same here, we had to wait 5 days which was a PITA when we arrived. Affected driving licenses, blockbuster application haha
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate Westpac bank thread

I hate them too. We opened an account linked to a mortgage- at a cost of 400 bucks a year.

We closed the account after a year paid $600 to bail out, but saved 5 years of annual fees. They struggled to close the account, transferred the remaining balance to our (non Westpac) account, then deducted charges and charged us for being negative balance.

They could not run an egg and spoon race. Well shot of them!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:58 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Just looking at opening bk account here (uk) for Australia when we get there, any one used HSBC?
Looks like westpac off my list lol

hSBC said they will give us credit (mortgage credit card) in Australia using our credit history from uk.... Food for thought !
Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
Just looking at opening bk account here (uk) for Australia when we get there, any one used HSBC?

hSBC said they will give us credit (mortgage credit card) in Australia using our credit history from uk.... Food for thought !
Why is Westpac off your list? Because 2 people on the internet had an unsatisfactory experiene with them? What about the other 3 who've had good experiences including me?

The only complaint I have about Westpac is that they kept sending me texts offering to raise my credit card limit. Although, as soon as I rang saying I wasn't interested they stopped and apologised for sending the text more than once.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Iv been recommended NAB...
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:15 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma_Par

Westpac have been one of the best most flexible banks I ave ever dealt with. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

got to say that westpac have never let me down here at all, walk in to branch and see staff without appointments , phone side ok, internet banking is very good and simple to use, they even pulled me into the branch to tell me that i might like to change my cc to a lower interest rate one to save me a few bucks a year. i havent dealt with any of the others so i cant comment on them.
one thing i have noticed is that credit is very easy to achieve here, and your credit history from the uk is not important at all, we were offered a morgage on 3 wage slips, loans for cars ect are the same, cc are given out like candy, not once has anyone asked about our uk history, and when we first arrived i had statments ect to show and all they wanted was a passport and drivers licence,

Last edited by johnknight001; Jan 7th 2012 at 1:12 am.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

ExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really nice

I have been with Westpac for 7 years. Never had a problem and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them either.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Have a look at this link,http://www.canstar.com.au/interest-r...oan-rates.html it may not get you away from westpac but its going to give you some alternatives.

Bob
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't want a loan, but tnx for the link some people might find it useful we have been with westpac 5 years, the customer service has gone done in the last 12 months.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:05 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why is Westpac off your list? Because 2 people on the internet had an unsatisfactory experiene with them? What about the other 3 who've had good experiences including me?

The only complaint I have about Westpac is that they kept sending me texts offering to raise my credit card limit. Although, as soon as I rang saying I wasn't interested they stopped and apologised for sending the text more than once.
I said it in jest, hence the lol.
Like a lot of things on here people have different views on everything, however it is good to hear them.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Westpac have been pretty good to us... Easy to deal with.... Kevin had an issue with them last week, they wouldnt let her pay an inland revenue cheque into her dads account, then charged $25 for HIM to do it...

Telstra are the REAL villains in australia imho.... Now if I was to hate any faceless coorporation it would be telstra
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Westpac have been spot on for me. Their customer service has been very friendly and helpful. I think I made the right decision to go with them and have built up a strong credit rating in the past 3 years. Can't speak for others but some of them have had their share of eff-ups last year and the year before with their systems going down and ATM's being unavailable.