Reload this Page >

I guess this is goodbye.

I guess this is goodbye.

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 10:20 am
Just Joined

dutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I guess this is goodbye.

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi everyone..Ive taken your advice and contacted Alan Colletts UK office and they are going to get him to ring me. I am not taking no for an answer...DIMIA get ready for a fight!
Hi Lucy.

Sorry to hear about your plight. A thought ocurred to me yesterday which may be of some use to you. Please check this out with Alan Collett before you get your hopes up.

My reading of your situation is as follows:

Occupation 50 points
Age 25 points
English 20 points
Experience 5 points
Bonus 5 points
Total 105 points i.e. 5 points short of SIR.

You have stated that you have an HND in travel and tourism management. I think this could be sufficient to get your skills assessed as an 'Office Manager-ASCO code 3291-11'. The reason I say this is that I have a friend who's in the very early stages (she's still thinking about it) of applying for a 139 Australian sponsored visa for which she has to get a positive skills assessment. She has an ONC in Business and Finance and asked the question on the following thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...81#post1667181. (Outcome - another forum member got assessed as an 'Office Manager' with an unnamed ONC). You could ask stevereed to ask his source for you - I'd ask Debs1234, but she's in Aus at the moment!.

Form 6 states that for 40 point occupations "You must have a qualification equivalent to an Australian Diploma (but it need not be specifically related to your nominated occupation)". If you can get a positive skills assessment with an ONC, I would assume an HND would be easier.

VETASSESS state that they will only assess your qualifications.

Therefore, to obtain 5 extra points for spouse skills, you need to be able to provide evidence that you pass the basic requirements of:

Age - I assume your under 45
English language ability.
Obtained a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority in their nominated occupation.
Recent work experience.

For a 40 point occupation the work experience requirement is that "you provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in a skilled occupation (any occupation listed on form 1121i) for 2 out of the last 3 years before applying".

If my memory is correct, the only evidence you need of this is a reference from your employer stating the 5 main tasks your job involves (although your employer may be contacted during the visa process).

I suppose the question is "Does your job involve any management/ supervisory activities which your boss would be willing to include on a reference?". You havn't said what your job invloves, but I'm guessing with your 8 years experience at Kuoni and your qualifications you should have something you could put on it.

Like I said, Please check the above with someone like Alan Collett.

I don't want to get your hopes up, if it turns out I'm talking complete twaddle, but after what I found out with debs1234 I thought it was worth passing on.

Here's really wishing you the best for the future.

Dave
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 12:11 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

From the research i've done the HND would 'almost certainly' get you a Vetassess positive assessment, actually against any 40 point occupation. Great so far. You then have the question of your work experience being in a SOL occupation. If you genuinely are an 'office manager' that would be ok, but I was warned that if ,when you apply, DIMIA can actually say "you're a ????? under a different ASCO code then it won't work. My example was that I considered trying to get promotion in the fire service to become an 'office manager' all the same duties as the ASCO duties for office manager etc. But I would actually be a 'senior fire officer' under a unique ASCO occupation. That was the problem.

Working as an office manager in travel agents would probably not be so clear cut though but you really would need 'sound' professional advice though.

Originally Posted by dutch
Hi Lucy.

Sorry to hear about your plight. A thought ocurred to me yesterday which may be of some use to you. Please check this out with Alan Collett before you get your hopes up.

Occupation 50 points
Age 25 points
English 20 points
Experience 5 points
Bonus 5 points

You have stated that you have an HND in travel and tourism management. I think this could be sufficient to get your skills assessed as an 'Office Manager-ASCO code 3291-11'. The reason I say this is that I have a friend who's in the very early stages (she's still thinking about it) of applying for a 139 Australian sponsored visa for which she has to get a positive skills assessment. She has an ONC in Business and Finance and asked the question on the following thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...81#post1667181. (Outcome - another forum member got assessed as an 'Office Manager' with an unnamed ONC). You could ask stevereed to ask his source for you - I'd ask Debs1234, but she's in Aus at the moment!.

Form 6 states that for 40 point occupations "You must have a qualification equivalent to an Australian Diploma (but it need not be specifically related to your nominated occupation)". If you can get a positive skills assessment with an ONC, I would assume an HND would be easier.

Therefore, to obtain 5 extra points for spouse skills, you need to be able to provide evidence that you pass the basic requirements of:

Obtained a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority in their nominated occupation.
Recent work experience.

For a 40 point occupation the work experience requirement is that "you provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in a skilled occupation (any occupation listed on form 1121i) for 2 out of the last 3 years before applying".

If my memory is correct, the only evidence you need of this is a reference from your employer stating the 5 main tasks your job involves (although your employer may be contacted during the visa process).

I suppose the question is "Does your job involve any management/ supervisory activities which your boss would be willing to include on a reference?". You havn't said what your job invloves, but I'm guessing with your 8 years experience at Kuoni and your qualifications you should have something you could put on it.

I don't want to get your hopes up, if it turns out I'm talking complete twaddle, but after what I found out with debs1234 I thought it was worth passing on.

Dave
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy I have just read your newsand I am so ,so sorry for you.
Just looking at how many replies you have had is fantastic the support on this site is absolutley brilliant.
Hang in there there must be another way round all this and although its all beyond me there are so many on this site that really are so knowledgable about the whole visa process.
I would get in touch with Alan Collett and see if there is is anything he can do.
Wishing you all the luck in the world.Dreamaway.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:20 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dutch
Hi Lucy.

Occupation 50 points
Age 25 points
English 20 points
Experience 5 points
Bonus 5 points

Recent work experience.

Dave

Hi Dave and thanks for the great post! You are thinkin along the same lines as me and my agent and we are indeed going down this road with my HND..Ill let you all know how it goes! EVERYTHING CROSSED PLEASE!

Lucy
x
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:34 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave and thanks for the great post! You are thinkin along the same lines as me and my agent and we are indeed going down this road with my HND..Ill let you all know how it goes! EVERYTHING CROSSED PLEASE!

Lucy
x

hi Lucy

Its taken me ages to read this post with all your replies.....sounds like a good plan.

Good luck

Laura
x
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

dutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucy
x
Don't worry, everythings crossed for you!

Just check out the trap stevereed mentioned about your experience. In deb's case it doesn't matter as I think she only needs the assessment and in my case it was pretty clear cut (I hope! I havn't had anything back since my acknowledgement in Jan) as I'm an accountant (Booh! Hiss!).

However, it does say that if you've got a skill assessed at 40 points for the basic skills assessment (rather than for claiming the extra points for work experience) then "you provide evidence that you have been in paid employment in a skilled occupation (any occupation listed on form 1121i) for 2 out of the last 3 years before applying".

My reading of this, is that if DIMIA assess your work experience as different from that nominated in your skills assessment, it doesn't matter. But please check this!

Also, thanks to stevereed for the info. Sorry, I should have PM'd you to ask your permission first, but got a bit caught up in writing the original note.

Best of luck Lucy!

Dave

Last edited by dutch; Oct 22nd 2004 at 2:37 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:58 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy
x
good luck lucy...crossing everything for you!!

sue
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 2:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
good luck lucy...crossing everything for you!!

sue
Hi Lucy

Hang on in there.

Can't say much that has not already been said.

I was away when this cropped up so have just seen it.

Any developments?

Good luck

G
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Very good Steve! I am indeed fluent in French! Feeling a bit more rational and positive today and am going to explore any other avenues which may be open to me and also have a bit of a chat with my agent as to why they took our case on.

Thanks everyone

Lucy
x
goodluck and let us all know how you get on, were all rooting for you.

Trish
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:06 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Yes becuase now Haydn is 30 we are officially 5 points short and my occupation isnt worth anything nor are my qualifications ( I have an HND in Travel and Tourism Management and have worked for Kuoni for 8 years) Im on the DIMIA website desperately trying to find a way round this ! Jeremy HELP! I feel they are nit picking and being quite petty and also moving the goalposts.

I have a HND in Travel and Tourism Management and I had it assessed by Vetasses as an office manager and I got assessed on my Btec National Diploma in Travel and Tourism for this they did not take into account my HND or BA (Hons). It is surely worth a try!!!!!!!

PM me if you need to know anything else

Jo
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:14 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joh117
I have a HND in Travel and Tourism Management and I had it assessed by Vetasses as an office manager and I got assessed on my Btec National Diploma in Travel and Tourism for this they did not take into account my HND or BA (Hons). It is surely worth a try!!!!!!!

PM me if you need to know anything else

Jo

Also Lucy I worked as a Compensation Manager for Network Rail for 12 months prior to leaving the UK. Now had they (DIMIA) looked into my Job Description it would look nothing like that of an office manager.

Anyway fingers crossed for you.

Keep us all informed as to how you get on.

Good luck

Jo
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:23 am

Also Lucy I worked as a Compensation Manager for Network Rail for 12 months prior to leaving the UK. Now had they (DIMIA) looked into my Job Description it would look nothing like that of an office manager.

Anyway fingers crossed for you.

Keep us all informed as to how you get on.

Good luck

Jo
You're not saying you claimed SOL experience as an Office Manager when your job didn't fit the ASCO job description are you??? Surely not.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:01 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: I guess this is goodbye.

My agent just called and she is as upset as I am. The caseworker has indeed refused our application. Basically we had to initially lodge under the skill matching scheme so that we had something lodged before Haydn turned 30 on July 13. In the meantime we applied for state nomination from SA and that came back very quickly. Great we thought...we can now apply for SIR. Haydn turned 30 and I believe we actually lodged our SA application around July 30. This was all ok, we were assured that there would be no problem as we had something lodged before his 30th. Howver now DIMIA are saying that they are two seperate visas (duh-as if we didnt know that) and we cannot transfer them, therefore they can only use the date of lodgment for the SIR visa and we are then 5 MEASLEY BLOODY POINTS SHORT and therefore REFUSED. Thats it. case closed. bloody bastards. These are peoples lives they are messing and toying with. How cruel is that after we spent all that money, the rest of our savings. flying out to Adelaide and falling in love with it. So now we have nothing. No savings and our dreams are ruined. I am devestated and heartbroken and cannot stob sobbing. My agent, bless her is trying to tempt us with NZ, but we have our hearts set on Adelaide. Life is so cruel.

And you know what else pisses me off? If Id known we had no chance, I would have not spent all our savings trying and therefore could have had a longer maternity leave with Toby.
Oh my goodness, what terrible news! I am so sorry........
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:38 am
Pass The Post

Originally Posted by stevereed
You're not saying you claimed SOL experience as an Office Manager when your job didn't fit the ASCO job description are you??? Surely not.

Yes. Why???

Someone else has said to beware in case DIMIA ruled that your work experience did not match. I was just saying that I did and I am in Oz with a PR visa thats all.

Jo
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:55 am

Yes. Why???

Someone else has said to beware in case DIMIA ruled that your work experience did not match. I was just saying that I did and I am in Oz with a PR visa thats all.

Jo
If you gave truthful evidence of what your job entailed and it was accepted under office manager or whatever SOL occupation you used then fine.

If one makes fraudulent statements it could backfire and one's visa could be cancelled if it was discovered. Not suggesting for a minute that you did that but there have also been posts from reputable agents that DIMIA staff do look at this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.