Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I guess this is goodbye.

I guess this is goodbye.

Old Oct 12th 2004, 2:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess this is goodbye.

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi everyone..Ive taken your advice and contacted Alan Colletts UK office and they are going to get him to ring me. I am not taking no for an answer...DIMIA get ready for a fight!
Go for it Lucy - and I hope DIMIA realise that not only are they taking on you and Alan Collett, but also the whole Expats forum! We're behind you mate, fight them with all guns blazing!
Old Oct 12th 2004, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

"Go for it Lucy - and I hope DIMIA realise that not only are they taking on you and Alan Collett, but also the whole Expats forum! We're behind you mate, fight them with all guns blazing!"

Hear, Hear!!
Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:28 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

It sounds to me like you should be venting your anger at your agent and not at DIMIA or channel 7.

Howver now DIMIA are saying that they are two seperate visas (duh-as if we didnt know that) and we cannot transfer them, therefore they can only use the date of lodgment for the SIR visa and we are then 5 MEASLEY BLOODY POINTS SHORT and therefore REFUSED.
...your agent should have known this and acted accordingly.

If the agent has got it wrong, you should be entitled to a refund. The people we used gave us a guarantee or we could have our money back.

You've got to calm down and try some other way. If you definitely haven't got enough points, ask for your money back, get a trade or better qualifications and try later. Haydn still has 14 years!
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Originally Posted by marysidey
Good luck Lucy
You never know what changes may come is there any chance of either of you retraining for a 70 point occupation ?? takes a while I know but keeps sight of the dream
dont give up
Love MaryX

Are there 70 point occupations?

Lucy, what about spouse points? With your HND you should be able to get an assessment for a 40 point occupation with Vetassess and if travel agents aren't on the SOL (I think they aren't, but I'm not sure) then go through the SOL to see if there's anything you could do instead. I know it's not easy, but you have five years before you loose the next five age points - make as much use of them as you can!

And who knows: Points can rise, but they can also fall, the SOL changes all the time, so one day miraculously your occupation might be there and everything will fall into place by itself (But don't count on that too much - I guess Alan Collett is a more reliable option.)!

Lots of luck to all of you!!!

Lavinia
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:05 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
It sounds to me like you should be venting your anger at your agent and not at DIMIA or channel 7.

...your agent should have known this and acted accordingly.

If the agent has got it wrong, you should be entitled to a refund. The people we used gave us a guarantee or we could have our money back.

You've got to calm down and try some other way. If you definitely haven't got enough points, ask for your money back, get a trade or better qualifications and try later. Haydn still has 14 years!

Hi Steve

I hear what you are saying, I really do. It is so hard for me as I have forged quite a friendship with my agent and I think the world of her...I kind of feel like I dont want to give her a hard time as I know she has worked her balls off for me. On the other hand i also feel that they have misled me and I am so mad. I also have an email from DIMIA saying everything is fine too so I feel doubly buggered, if you can excuse the French! I just dont know where I stand and from where I am looking, Dimia have moved the goalposts and its just not on.

Lucy
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Go for it Lucy - and I hope DIMIA realise that not only are they taking on you and Alan Collett, but also the whole Expats forum! We're behind you mate, fight them with all guns blazing!
With respect to you Polly, fighting talk is all well and good but as far as DIMIA is concerned it will be about as effective as an airgun pellet on elephant hide.

As I've noted already, from the information Lucy has posted (which is not completely clear) it may well be that DIMIA are correct in their decision. And if they are, I cannot see them revising their decision.

On top of that, offshore SIR applicants have no right of appeal to the Migration Review Tribunal. Whether any other legal avenues exist is unlikely, but it would need an immigration *lawyer* (not an agent) to review the file and see if there are any options. Such options, if they existed, would be neither simple nor cheap.

Lucy has posted that they lodged a Skill Matching visa application in early July. If that's really what happened, this application still exists in the system (despite the SIR refusal) and there are two routes to get a visa:

- sponsorship by South Australia for a Skill Matching visa (criteria similar to STNI). Problem with this is that the occupation normally needs to be on the SA shortage list, but it might be worth seeing if there's any scope to be flexible in the light of the circumstances. DIMIA would also have to agree with this.
- sponsorship by a regional employer for the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
- if neither of the above happens within 2 years, the application will be refused.

If one gets into NZ then one can eventually come to Australia on an NZ passport, but NZ is planning to raise the citizenship residence requirement to 5 years (from three) with effect from January 2005.

The other potential option is Canada, although the selection criteria are different there (French is obviously an asset).

Jeremy
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy,

I think a deep breath is called for.

You did not meet the requirements to qualify for this particular visa.
Have DIMIA made a mistake ? Probably not.

Your agent seems to have accepted the decision is correct which leads to the conclusion that it is indeed they who have failed you.

Why did you employ an agent ?
For the expertise and knowledge that would either take you through the difficult process of obtaining a visa or to advise you that it would not be possible.

Whichever way you look at it the agent has failed you. They are selling a professional service but have been found lacking.

They should have known your application would not succeed. The visa regulations change all the time but that is their full time business and they should be on top of it.

Whether you have recourse to them regarding fees or whether or not you wish to excercise any such right is your personal decision.

In all walks of life good businesses occassionally cock-up. It may be your agent is a well respected one with an excellent track record but in this case they have cocked-up.

After this debacle you have to decide if you can trust them to salvage your situation (which may entail going down a different visa route altogether) or whether you should employ the services of a different agent.

I'm sorry if this all sounds a bit hard Lucy but at the moment you are feeling very bitter toward DIMIA and I don't really think that will ultimately help you. Look at them as a challenge if you like, a hurdle to overcome but not as an enemy.

My own case may offer some hope to your plight.
The visa I was originally applying for was withdrawn just before my application was ready. A few months later another type of visa became possible but then the company I was joining let me down.
So twice I was dead and burried but I stuck at it and things eventually came together.

I really wish you the best of luck Lucy.
If it's meant to be it will happen.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 6:36 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
The other potential option is Canada, although the selection criteria are different there (French is obviously an asset).
Jeremy
This may also be a problem. Although Lucy keeps saying, "..pardon my French..", I don't think she is actually fluent in the language!
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:01 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: I guess this is goodbye.

Originally Posted by lucyb
My agent just called and she is as upset as I am. The caseworker has indeed refused our application. Basically we had to initially lodge under the skill matching scheme so that we had something lodged before Haydn turned 30 on July 13. In the meantime we applied for state nomination from SA and that came back very quickly. Great we thought...we can now apply for SIR. Haydn turned 30 and I believe we actually lodged our SA application around July 30. This was all ok, we were assured that there would be no problem as we had something lodged before his 30th. Howver now DIMIA are saying that they are two seperate visas (duh-as if we didnt know that) and we cannot transfer them, therefore they can only use the date of lodgment for the SIR visa and we are then 5 MEASLEY BLOODY POINTS SHORT and therefore REFUSED. Thats it. case closed. bloody bastards. These are peoples lives they are messing and toying with. How cruel is that after we spent all that money, the rest of our savings. flying out to Adelaide and falling in love with it. So now we have nothing. No savings and our dreams are ruined. I am devestated and heartbroken and cannot stob sobbing. My agent, bless her is trying to tempt us with NZ, but we have our hearts set on Adelaide. Life is so cruel.

And you know what else pisses me off? If Id known we had no chance, I would have not spent all our savings trying and therefore could have had a longer maternity leave with Toby.
That is awful news hun.
I am so sorry - have you thought about taking up your agents idea about NZ? If you can get in there, you could then come to Aus from NZ, which seems to be okay.........?
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
This may also be a problem. Although Lucy keeps saying, "..pardon my French..", I don't think she is actually fluent in the language!

Very good Steve! I am indeed fluent in French! Feeling a bit more rational and positive today and am going to explore any other avenues which may be open to me and also have a bit of a chat with my agent as to why they took our case on.

Thanks everyone

Lucy
x
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:34 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy,

been trying to think of silver lining in your cloud and I've come up with one. If (and that is an enormous if coz I'm sure Oz will work out for you) you go to NZ first just think, NO HUNTSMEN!!!

(can I come too )

D D
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:38 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Oh Lucy, gutted for you. Really hope something is done so you can realise your dream once again.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
That is awful news hun.
I am so sorry - have you thought about taking up your agents idea about NZ? If you can get in there, you could then come to Aus from NZ, which seems to be okay.........?
NZ permanent residents have no special rights in Australia.

NZ citizens have some rights in Australia (not full PR) but it's likely that from Jan 2005 you'll need to live in NZ for 5 years to get citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Oct 21st 2004, 3:00 pm
Grateful

yinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the roughyinwong is a jewel in the rough

A few things that I do not understand

- Why did she go for SIR when she was eligible for STNI (137)?

- What constitutes a relodgement?
switching from :
- Skill Matching -> SIR?
- Skilled Independent (136) -> STNI (137)?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by yinwong
A few things that I do not understand

- Why did she go for SIR when she was eligible for STNI (137)?

- What constitutes a relodgement?
switching from :
- Skill Matching -> SIR?
- Skilled Independent (136) -> STNI (137)?

We are not eligible for STNI as my husbands occupation is not on the list!

Lucy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.