Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i got my visa, i came, i dont like it, i am leaving :)

i got my visa, i came, i dont like it, i am leaving :)

Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i got my visa, i came, i dont like it, i am leaving :)

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
I can appreciate this is a public forum, and whatever i post is up for discussion, but some people have made this rather personal, and i dont like it.
I make no apologies for checking your posting history. You gave no explaination at all - and if you're so bothered about people poking around in your life, why did you bother making this thread in the first place? Surely if you were that bothered then you'd have just returned to the UK and none of us would have been any the wiser. I mean, I can't envisage us all sitting around in the Barbie in six months time going - 'Whatever happened to that venerable forum adict Toryglen-Boy - I wonder what he's up to'.

Anyway - I still think your post is hilarious. Yes mate - you should have gone on holiday before you went. You were 'uhming' and 'ahhing' in the most serious of ways right up to your departure. I mean, we're talking about something pretty drastic here - moving to another hemisphere - it's not like pointing at a Ben Sherman shirt in a trendy little boutique and saying 'I don't know if it'll fit me - but it looks greeeeeeeeeat - I'll take it'. Yes, someone with your doubts bloomin' well should have come on holiday first - you'd have saved yourself a lot of time, effort and money - and the odds are that you'd have had a cracking holiday into the bargain. Still - enjoy your life - hope you don't come to regret all this a few years down the line.

Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:32 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tucs
Shouldnt number 2 be, mind your own business and stop jumping to conclusions? Wanna be mod.

"not edited, no need to edit after i thought of somethng else to say"
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:33 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Are you an only child ? 'cos I have one who works for me and this is the type of ATTENTION SEEKING stunts that he pulls! Or are you missing dear old Toryglen, Govanhill, Rutherglen, Gorbals etc that badly? WHY? WHY? WHY?

Why go to all the bother of getting a Visa and ****** off in just over a week?

I grew up in Govanhill, went to school in Toryglen, and lived in the Gorbals for a couple of years and then lived in Rutherglen for 3 years before emigrating to Canberra last August. I cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would want to go back there (apart from the obvious reason of missing friends and family). Australia just has so much more to offer.....I certainly don't miss seeing junkies shooting up in stairways and doing their deals in broad daylight, nor do I miss seeing the local drunks gathering in the main street first thing in the morning waiting for the off sales to open. I love the fact that I can walk to the shops here and not be verbally abused by the local youths hanging around streets. I do miss my job and my family and friends but I have such a stress free life here and a great outdoors lifestyle that I don't see me going back to live in Glasgow anytime soon !!

I also got here on a Spouse Visa and althouhgh it may be easier to apply for -it is still a stressful process especially when you have to overcome medical problems too. I just cannot understand how anyone can go through the whole visa process and then give it all up after just one week. I personally think you have to work at most things in order to succeed. In my opinion a week is not long enough to base such an important decision on, but I also admire Toryglen Boy for having the guts to admit that he made a mistake......however it would be nice to know exactly what he dislikes so much about Australia.

Anyway wishing Toryglen Boy good luck with the future and remember we are all entitled to our opinions.

Wendy
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
I grew up in Govanhill, went to school in Toryglen, and lived in the Gorbals for a couple of years and then lived in Rutherglen for 3 years before emigrating to Canberra last August. I cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would want to go back there (apart from the obvious reason of missing friends and family). Australia just has so much more to offer.....I certainly don't miss seeing junkies shooting up in stairways and doing their deals in broad daylight, nor do I miss seeing the local drunks gathering in the main street first thing in the morning waiting for the off sales to open. I love the fact that I can walk to the shops here and not be verbally abused by the local youths hanging around streets. I do miss my job and my family and friends but I have such a stress free life here and a great outdoors lifestyle that I don't see me going back to live in Glasgow anytime soon !!

I also got here on a Spouse Visa and althouhgh it may be easier to apply for -it is still a stressful process especially when you have to overcome medical problems too. I just cannot understand how anyone can go through the whole visa process and then give it all up after just one week. I personally think you have to work at most things in order to succeed. In my opinion a week is not long enough to base such an important decision on, but I also admire Toryglen Boy for having the guts to admit that he made a mistake......however it would be nice to know exactly what he dislikes so much about Australia.

Anyway wishing Toryglen Boy good luck with the future and remember we are all entitled to our opinions.

Wendy
He's living in Southwest England at the moment - not Glasgow. But yea, point taken.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy
Nicely put. And anyway presumably if a couple of years down the track, he changes his mind he still has a valid visa.

I know when hubby first came back for a long visit and I joined him in Perth for a month, the moment we started driving from the airport I knew big time that I hated it, total gut reaction that was not going away. I would have turned round and flown home had he let me. Roll on 20+ years I came over to Brisbane to validate and this time, as soon as I left the airport I felt like I had come home. Just lucky I was able to do it and we picked the right place.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:47 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy
Funny, I would take Glasgow ahead of Canberra a million times over.

Not many sane Glasgwegians would choose to live in the areas you mentioned. You should have stayed in the West End like I did, one of my favourite places in the world.

Anyway, sorry for sounding cheeky, but I stick up for my home city if I feel it takes unfair criticism, even from a fellow Weegie.

Last edited by mackinnon; Jun 27th 2006 at 6:51 am.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
...I joined him in Perth for a month, the moment we started driving from the airport I knew big time that I hated it, total gut reaction that was not going away.
A lot of people feel this way if you take the Tonkin highway from the airport. It looks just like those news reports from Baghdad - scruffy, lots of sand, industrial, wrecked cars.

When we have visitors we always pick them up from the airprot via the Graham Farmer freeway then past the city, a much more attractive introduction to Perth.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Funny, I would take Glasgow ahead of Canberra a million times over.
Do one then.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by renth
A lot of people feel this way if you take the Tonkin highway from the airport. It looks just like those news reports from Baghdad - scruffy, lots of sand, industrial, wrecked cars.

When we have visitors we always pick them up from the airprot via the Graham Farmer freeway then past the city, a much more attractive introduction to Perth.
Same deal in New York if you arrive in La Guardia rather than JFK.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:25 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Lol

Wish I'd known about the Graham Farmer instead of driving up and down the Tonkin in the dark :scared:
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:56 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, your choice - though it seems not an informed choice - just hope that you do not regret acting on what seems a gut-reaction at a time you must have been jet-lagged.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:03 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

One week does'nt it take that long just to get ovet the jet lag
A read about a couple that only lasted 3 hours in OZ. When the wife landed at the airport she had a mental breakdown and they had to go back on the next plane home.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

devonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the roughdevonleas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CasG
Well, your choice - though it seems not an informed choice - just hope that you do not regret acting on what seems a gut-reaction at a time you must have been jet-lagged.
The idea that toryglen "didnt give it enough time" is bunk-it is perfectly legitimate to realise right immediately that a place isnt for you.
I realised right immediately that say, I could never live in Greece.
if its not what your after its not what your after.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:06 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hes on a spouse visa - easier to get, not always easier to live with!
PMSL......

Ask for a refund
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:08 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by devonleas
The idea that toryglen "didnt give it enough time" is bunk-it is perfectly legitimate to realise right immediately that a place isnt for you.
I realised right immediately that say, I could never live in Greece.
if its not what your after its not what your after.
subtitles anyone??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.