Wikiposts

I got a fine

Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:17 pm
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: I got a fine

Hubby got one when we were here visiting in April and the police told him not to pay as he showed his UK licence and they weren't going to chase him all the way to the UK for a lousy $200 fine.

I also got one last week in QLD, doing 112km/h in a 100km/h zone, and used my UK licence. Again, policeman said not to worry about paying it as they weren't going to chase me back to the UK either.

If you still have your UK licence, show it and tell them you are touring around Oz, that way you don't get points on your Oz licence and the fine gets sent to the UK.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 4:40 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I got a fine

Some interesting stats from Ireland re: Speeding and fines:

91% of fatal collisions on the national road network occur on single carriageways.

Motorways account for 3.3% of traffic volume and 0.2% of speed related injury collisions.

Analysis of trends in collisions show approximately 30% of road fatalities occur between 10pm and 4am.

A disproportionate number of young male drivers are being killed on our roads, particularly at weekends.

Trends in driving while intoxicated show approximately 70% of these incidents occur between 10pm and 4am. Alcohol continues to be a major contributory factor, in terms of fatalities and serious injuries on our roads.

Just under half of all road deaths occur on the national road network which accounts for approximately 47% of vehicular traffic, is approximately 5,400km in length, and consists of 93% single carriageway.

35% of all speed related fatal collisions occur on national roads.

National roads account for 30% of all speed related injury collisions.

Urban national roads account for 9% of speed related collisions.

10.4% of traffic volume is on urban national roads and 13.1% of all injury collisions.

Speed survey (2002) indicated that 82% of cars in 40mph (60km/h) zones exceeded the speed limit.

OK I know Irish roads aren't the same but look at the first 2 points above: 91% of crashes are on single carraigeways and of the 3.3% of motorway traffic, only 0.2% contribute towards speed related crashes. makes you wonder then why even here they focus so much on speeding on motorways and less so on the one-lane roads!
Convenience and money making!

Andrew
Old Dec 27th 2005, 5:29 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NewOZ
Just 5 min parking late
Yes I know I was late but i am still mad as Santa Gift was a $50 Fine
You could have got nothing for just $50. Every thing is bloody too Expensive in Oz....
- Bart...
Eat my....
Old Dec 28th 2005, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I have 3 fines to date!!! All for parking at the train station car park. They encourage commuters to use the train, then fine you when you park your car at the station!!!!!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hubby got done in July when we were here on holiday before we moved - 122kmh in a 100 kmh zone. Still on UK licence so they fined him twice as much as he couldn't be given points. Never been anywhere as paranoid about speeding!!!

Hubbie Pete got done for driving 8k over across the nullabor when our kids were fighting in the back of the car!!! :scared:
No other cars on the road at the time then all of a sudden a car with flashing lights came our way.
Apparently the WA/SA police are noted for catching drivers in this remotest of places...!!

Yet we've been here 3 months and have never seen so many bad drivers in different towns and cities where they are more likely to affect other people!! A lot must get away with it and clearly the fine system just does not improve driving standards.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 1:18 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
Hubbie Pete got done for driving 8k over across the nullabor when our kids were fighting in the back of the car!!! :scared:
No other cars on the road at the time then all of a sudden a car with flashing lights came our way.
Apparently the WA/SA police are noted for catching drivers in this remotest of places...!!

Yet we've been here 3 months and have never seen so many bad drivers in different towns and cities where they are more likely to affect other people!! A lot must get away with it and clearly the fine system just does not improve driving standards.
My dh had a letter about 6 weeks ago saying he'd been logged doing 7km over the limit in Fremantle back at the beginning of October. Letter said he was going to get a $50 fine but it hasn't turned up yet.

I got caught a few weeks back by a roadside cop with a speedgun for doing 70kmph in a 60kmph limit - honestly thought I was in a 70 zone too.... Nothing has turned up on that one though so I think I may have got away with it.

From what we've been told by others who have been fined, the penalties are pretty arbitrary and not consistent at all. As you say, the hoons charge past at 100kmph and don't seem to get done at all....:rollseyes:

Mind, I like the sign outside Mandurah that says the police are targetting hoons this month!

Sue
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KBREMBO
I am lucky as I have a company car and they pay the Insurance...not fines though!

KB
Do your company know you don't yet have an Aussie licence? Your insurance won't pay out anyway if you have an accident and they find out you're incorrectly using a uk licence.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz

That's exactly it.

The elderly have to take a driving test every year in order to hold on to their licences: an aunt-in-law who is in her mid eighties and a very safe, competent driver failed the first time last year and this for stopping a couple of inches over the stop line at an intersection.

I think it is fair that a new inexperienced driver should be required to demonstrate that he is fully aware of the requirements - such as this - for the initial granting of a licence, but to fail someone of great driving experience on, let's face it, trivial issues is over the top.

I have seen more appalling, aggressive and downright dangerous driving here in one year than I have anywhere else in the world including the Middle East yet little seems to be done to stop it. It's easier to take an old but safe driver off the road and imprison her at home.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:34 pm
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
I have 3 fines to date!!! All for parking at the train station car park. They encourage commuters to use the train, then fine you when you park your car at the station!!!!!
Australia is 32 times bigger than UK
and population is 3 times less than UK

but very narrow streets,
very hard to find parking,
houses and lands are very expensive

why dont the government make streets wider, more parking areas, increase the distance between houses ( issue some rules for new houses )
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
The Aussie police still use the speed cameras as a revenue earner as the cameras were hidden and there were no signs warning of the cameras, so they don't want people to slow down they want them to speed to get the cash.

Buggers!
They are hidden because they want people to slow down. If you are worried you could be caught anyhwere you'll drive more slowly.

If folk want to keep paying fines they are more than welcome to speed.

If warnings are given people only slow down within "warned areas"... if that makes sense.

If you don't want people to slow down you tell them exactly where they can speed and where they can't... and this is what a warning sign system does.