Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I finally understand the Australian obsession with tupperware!!

I finally understand the Australian obsession with tupperware!!

Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice
Default Re: I finally understand the Australian obsession with tupperware!!

Originally Posted by jayr
Pantry moths. I asked the pest controller why there were lots of little moths in the pantry. "Because your dry food is infested with moth eggs" was the answer.

Apparently you often buy food pre-infested. The moths burrow inside the boxes or inside bags of flour, you buy and take home and, hey presto, infest all the other dry goods in your pantry.

Tupperware will at least keep the eggs in just one place.
My sister in law gave me a tip. She said when you buy the flour from the supermarket put it into the freezer for 2 days and that will kill any eggs/moths. Then of course after that put it into a container. I have to say though that most of my infestions have happened when I was too lazy to put the flour into a container.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Wait 'till the people still in the UK get to read this thread
Watch out for all the cancelled visa applications
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
Watch out for all the cancelled visa applications
Well not cancelling application but certainly stocking up on my favourite lock tight containers!!

We're much the same though in UK at moment, so many flies and bugs - all fruit and bread has to be stored in fridge as infestation is immediate!

Certainly is a little grim guys though!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
Well not cancelling application but certainly stocking up on my favourite lock tight containers!!

We're much the same though in UK at moment, so many flies and bugs - all fruit and bread has to be stored in fridge as infestation is immediate!

Certainly is a little grim guys though!
Don't mind the little fruit flies too much, although they are annoying. But the cockroaches are gross :scared: Haven't encountered the moths in the larder but I am going to do my best to make sure I don't have to
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Don't mind the little fruit flies too much, although they are annoying. But the cockroaches are gross :scared: Haven't encountered the moths in the larder but I am going to do my best to make sure I don't have to
We had those weevilly thing sin our rice in the UK - in an airtight glass jar!

Ah well, free protein!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:34 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a weevil infestation in the UK came in with boxes of Kellogs Peach Special K from Asda... we had to rip kitchen to bits to hoover thick up then where told by public health to spray detol as they hate detol.

Spent months catching stray ones on sticky tape, if you switched light on suddenly used to spot loads of them.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: I finally understand the Australian obsession with tupperware!!

Originally Posted by kelli28
not veggie but dont fancy bush tucker for dinner!!

yeah that bills chippy was very popular and expensive imo we only went to the beach mostly before threshers offi opened otherwise you ended up sitting with all the charvas and thier cans of larger and chips! might of been you there

We walked along the coast from North Shields, via Tynemouth and had a break in Cullercoats on Saturday - Harbour Day Festival in full swing, glorious sunny day, small sea fret giving some relief to the heat, bought Cod, Chips, Mushy Peas with Batter, Salt and Vinegar from Bills Chippy!

Great day! Fish crap, overpriced, tasteless but never the less had a great time.

Paula
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:07 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Yeah but it is the roaches that really do my head in. They are just disgusting adn move so darned fast. I never see where they actually come from. I can be looking at the worktop one minute, then the next one has just been teleported there.

We have been doing a lot of tree and shrub removal and I think it has disturbed them
Disgusting?

I have to ask, have you seen the movie Joe's Apartment? You'll never think of cockroaches in the same way again!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elaine M
Disgusting?

I have to ask, have you seen the movie Joe's Apartment? You'll never think of cockroaches in the same way again!
I've never heard of that one. Who's in it? Go on then, tell what happens
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Is Adelaide as bad as
Brisbane for all that....roaches etc ?????????????

Originally Posted by Elaine M
Disgusting?

Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:30 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I've never heard of that one. Who's in it? Go on then, tell what happens
Singing and dancing roaches save the day.....

Very funny!

I've had just a couple of stray roaches in the house since I arrived in Adelaide nearly two years ago, barrier spray seems to keep all the bugs out.

Although my daughter had a (allegedly) huge spider emerge from under the TV unit the other day when I was at work, maybe that's why I didn't have any bugs!

Elaine
Old Jul 26th 2006, 6:27 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

lol ... its not just aus that get all manner of wee timorous beeasties in their flour - ive just chucked out a cupboard full of flour pasta and rice that had a small army of what looked like nits take over!!
im off to buy tupperware....or is it bettaware over here now!?? lol
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:17 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
lol ... its not just aus that get all manner of wee timorous beeasties in their flour - ive just chucked out a cupboard full of flour pasta and rice that had a small army of what looked like nits take over!!
im off to buy tupperware....or is it bettaware over here now!?? lol
yep I've had these in flour too. now I keep it in an airtight container. Apparently the eggs are in the flour when you buy it.

Fiona
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:59 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I am here and living a rural life, I get what the tupperware thing is all about........

Cockroaches!!!!! :scared:

If you have seen one in your kitchen then you will be obsessed to put all your food away in a sealed container.
After this thread I am an even bigger beliefer in the saying
"what you don't know can't hurt you" Not sure I'm cut out for cockroaches! spiders, flies even snakes but cockroaches eurghhh :scared:

A
xx
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Wait 'till the people still in the UK get to read this thread
Indeed it will be the last straw for them bless them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.