Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I feel a ping pom comming on.

I feel a ping pom comming on.

Old May 18th 2014, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I feel a ping pom comming on.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You'd best have a long holiday there first Basho.... especially after 40 years here mate. I know I personally would have problems with the different mindset.

I'm hearing you that was part of the reason I bugged out in the first place

Look at downsizing... or moving within Aus to a much cheaper local than Hervey Bay.... Plenty in Tasmania, although I appreciate you dont want to feel the cold... How about further north in Qld ?

Further North in Qld = hotter , anyhoo I hate Qld, made a mistake and got caught here will be 6 to 12 months before I'm fully ready to move --hopefully nearer 6 than 12 have considered the East coast of Tas--still am.

BTW did you work in the UK at all, because they have this pension thing happening at present where if you pay 22K pounds you get the full pension, expires in 2016... or something like that, I looked at it with a great deal of envy and contemplation because I will be means tested out of most or all of my government Aus pension.

Yep worked in the UK first job about 1964 commis chef at the Palace Hotel in Buxton Derbyshire 1 st week worked 96 hours , payed 2 pounds 7 and 9 pence-after stamp and tax , last job Restaurant Manager The Smoker Inn Plumley Chesh. last week worked about 48 hours payed 55 pounds net --(1974)

I think there are plenty of other options for you Basho..... How old are you, whats your gaffe worth etc etc ? You dont have to answer that obviously but do some sums.

I'll net out at about 120k pounds and 35k net pounds a year pension

I know of people living in those transportable home parks in around the Gold Coast that only paid around 90k for their places... full of, like a club and full security of tenure for their lifetime.

I've had a look at these and on the surface they look OK --but---they are many and varied and there are some quirks I don't like big two of which are you don't own the land they sit on and they don't fall under any Body Corporate scheme in some , could look further--I wouldn't buy on the Gold Coast for all the tea,--Tweed Heads (NSW) maybe, but with caution and only as long as the price was right.

My 65 YO UK born cousin in Qld knows a lot about this stuff, I can put you in touch if you like ?

Thanks for the offer much appreciated but as I said I'm outa Qld earliest opp

You've got my interest going seeing as you've been here a bit longer than me and close to retirement age like myself...... So.....

I've been tidying up houses in Qld for the last 9 years -on No 6 now (my mistake) money pit aaaaaaaaaaaarggh if you think I can be of any help with anything just drop me a PM.

Best of luck whatever happens

Cheers , Al.
q

Last edited by BASHO; May 18th 2014 at 2:19 am.
Old May 18th 2014, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely will have to do a couple of final touches to this place when I do go to sell and reap the benefits, so he tidying up offer is much appreciated. Will have to get the cladding off for starters, which I deliberately left till I'm ready to downsize and can present to market freshly painted outside and inside and with new weatherboards where necessary... I probably wont be ready for another 4-5 years yet... Sooner if the youngest stuffs up at school or Aus post's forthcoming sale (in 2 years ???) gives us redundancy packages.

Ballarat is bloody cheap !!! especially for what you can get there

On that note I'm going to spend a while looking at realesate.com.au at Ballarat myself.

Best of Aus/British

BTW Whats your Aus wife think about moving to the UK.... mine wouldnt be keen at all.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 18th 2014 at 3:05 am.
Old May 18th 2014, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely will have to do a couple of final touches to this place when I do go to sell and reap the benefits, so he tidying up offer is much appreciated. Will have to get the cladding off for starters, which I deliberately left till I'm ready to downsize and can present to market freshly painted outside and inside and with new weatherboards where necessary... I probably wont be ready for another 4-5 years yet... Sooner if the youngest stuffs up at school or Aus post's forthcoming sale (in 2 years ???) gives us redundancy packages.

On that note I'm going to spend a while looking at realesate.com.au at Ballarat myself.

Best of Aus/British

BTW Whats your Aus wife think about moving to the UK.... mine wouldnt be keen at all.
I've worked in Ballarat , it's a very nice place and the people were excellent , my missus is as keen as mustard , she's been to the UK a couple of times and loves it. Al.
Old May 18th 2014, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Pfffftttt I used to live near Selby in North Yorkshire. VERRYYYYY strange place indeed and the biggest power station in Europe casting a constant shadow over the place!

It is a very nice county indeed though. But I find that you have the same problem there as anywhere else in the world. The beautiful areas within easy commuting distance are pretty expensive by northern standards. I know the reality for us as a young family was that we had to buy close to somewhere like Selby or Acomb in York with its resident chav population.

As I have mentioned before many times in the past....same shite....different country. We got fed up of commuting in those bad winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11 when the car wouldn't start and it would take 2hrs to get to work in the snow and ice and scraping the ****ing car windows every morning. Then the floods between Selby and York would cut the road for weeks on end which meant a 1 hour detour to work and home again. Our house that we thought was a good standard was actually quite shoddy and started to show all kinds of issues. I developed pneumonia in 2008 as a fit and healthy 30 year old and I am sure it was a combination of the stress of the house, the damp weather and lot of other issues at that time.

Beautiful place to visit but not sure I could live there again. I appreciate it more now when I visit anyway and actually do more!
Sorry Jon only just spotted your post.

I'm not really familiar with Selby. But I know York and that's nice, although I'm sure it will have bad areas as well. I'm more Settle way, do you know it? Grassington, Skipton, etc....it's lovely, especially when the suns out like today.

I do agree with you about the weather though , we have had it really harsh snow-wise, the last 5 years or so.( the winter just gone wasn't too bad) In fact so bad we have had farmers literally digging us out so we could get out to get supplies, which we got by hitching a lift on a tractor! No joke!
Luckily I never had to go into work when the weather was like this, so no crappy commutes for me and my boss totally understood there wasn't much I could do about it.

The weather is one of the reasons we are moving to Australia, I like the sun a lot.
And I don't care what people say, when you have had it tough in winter like you and I, the sun is a bloody God send.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We seem to be in an area like that, in thenext town where the boys go to school it will often get snow and we get a blue sky, it is just 7 miles away.
Pfffftttt I used to live near Selby in North Yorkshire. VERRYYYYY strange place indeed and the biggest power station in Europe casting a constant shadow over the place!

It is a very nice county indeed though. But I find that you have the same problem there as anywhere else in the world. The beautiful areas within easy commuting distance are pretty expensive by northern standards. I know the reality for us as a young family was that we had to buy close to somewhere like Selby or Acomb in York with its resident chav population.

As I have mentioned before many times in the past....same shite....different country. We got fed up of commuting in those bad winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11 when the car wouldn't start and it would take 2hrs to get to work in the snow and ice and scraping the ****ing car windows every morning. Then the floods between Selby and York would cut the road for weeks on end which meant a 1 hour detour to work and home again. Our house that we thought was a good standard was actually quite shoddy and started to show all kinds of issues. I developed pneumonia in 2008 as a fit and healthy 30 year old and I am sure it was a combination of the stress of the house, the damp weather and lot of other issues at that time.

Beautiful place to visit but not sure I could live there again. I appreciate it more now when I visit anyway and actually do more!
Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Sorry Jon only just spotted your post.

I'm not really familiar with Selby. But I know York and that's nice, although I'm sure it will have bad areas as well. I'm more Settle way, do you know it? Grassington, Skipton, etc....it's lovely, especially when the suns out like today.

I do agree with you about the weather though , we have had it really harsh snow-wise, the last 5 years or so.( the winter just gone wasn't too bad) In fact so bad we have had farmers literally digging us out so we could get out to get supplies, which we got by hitching a lift on a tractor! No joke!
Luckily I never had to go into work when the weather was like this, so no crappy commutes for me and my boss totally understood there wasn't much I could do about it.

The weather is one of the reasons we are moving to Australia, I like the sun a lot.
And I don't care what people say, when you have had it tough in winter like you and I, the sun is a bloody God send.
Some interesting stories - coming from the mild Thames Estuary I often say that the UK has nothing on Central Europe but we have missed an awful lot of colder winters in recent years.

For me, I would sum up the UK as being great if you can get the nicer villages - and then get a job within spitting distance. But you will pay the premium for it - (whatever that might be) to avoid the ordinary and commonplace - this is the same worldwide, naturally. For example, if you are self-employed or always employable near by then it could be easy.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Some interesting stories - coming from the mild Thames Estuary I often say that the UK has nothing on Central Europe but we have missed an awful lot of colder winters in recent years.

For me, I would sum up the UK as being great if you can get the nicer villages - and then get a job within spitting distance. But you will pay the premium for it - (whatever that might be) to avoid the ordinary and commonplace - this is the same worldwide, naturally. For example, if you are self-employed or always employable near by then it could be easy.
Spot on. We were chasing the dream in the UK but decided why chase the dream in the cold / wet and a damp house making me ill when we can at least try and chase it in the sun.

Same issues here in Australia as in the UK of course. You need money to be in those stand out locations wherever it is you go / country you move to.

Last edited by old.sparkles; May 19th 2014 at 2:01 am. Reason: fix quote
Old May 19th 2014, 12:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at it with a great deal of envy and contemplation because I will be means tested out of most or all of my government Aus pension.

It's great that you will not qualify for the aged pension. It means that you have provided enough for your retirement and you will not need welfare (which is what the pension is) for your future needs

Good for you
Old May 19th 2014, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on. We were chasing the dream in the UK but decided why chase the dream in the cold / wet and a damp house making me ill when we can at least try and chase it in the sun.

Same issues here in Australia as in the UK of course. You need money to be in those stand out locations wherever it is you go / country you move to.
I am not that impressed with the average UK regional home - you have to really step up a bit to get what you want - and when you factor in a nicer road, or a view, things start to cost more. I've noticed that often a house will be nice but the road will be questionable, lots of little things people chase. What I am saying is that you have to find that place in the first place even before the means come into it.

I've said before that there IS a sweet spot - make no mistake - as a matter of fact there will be people surely better off than us who can easily work into that sweet spot without undue financial stress. G has gone on record as essentially saying that plenty of people can afford to work into nice little places in the UK.

I've worked out that with the FX rate last year I could actually buy a rather nice modest country house somewhere not so far perhaps from London - maybe perhaps Manchester or B'Ham. It could be detached, have some period quality and come with a little yard.

But for my sins, I am not self-employed or a well paid person who can work in the regions. I would be forced to commute along B roads etc and as jobs dictated a nice commute could be replaced with a disastrous one down the line.

It's all theory and idle speculation as the life we have is absolutely the Australian equivalent of what we wanted in the UK - and we are reminded of it on a daily basis. I am sitting in my office looking out over a valley as we speak - with autumnal colours everywhere.

cheers
Old May 19th 2014, 5:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I am not that impressed with the average UK regional home - you have to really step up a bit to get what you want - and when you factor in a nicer road, or a view, things start to cost more. I've noticed that often a house will be nice but the road will be questionable, lots of little things people chase.
So identical to every other country in the world then?
Old May 19th 2014, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Best of Aus/British

There's a reason why Ballarat is cheap LOL!
I've never felt as cold as I have in Ballarat, and that's saying something!
Old May 19th 2014, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

I'm actually more worried about the stinking hot summers, because when It's really hot in Melbourne, Ballarat is hotter generally and bloody drier.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

I was there about ten years ago in winter and got iced up windscreens first thing in the mornings, I'd just come down from the Territory and in any event hadn't seen that for 30 years , the novelty could wear of I think--
Old May 19th 2014, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BASHO
I was there about ten years ago in winter and got iced up windscreens first thing in the mornings, I'd just come down from the Territory and in any event hadn't seen that for 30 years , the novelty could wear of I think--
Yet they still fall for the trap of grabbing the outside hose to find it frozen solid. You'd think they'd learn eh

I see the cold as a good excuse for the foods I love, like pea and ham soup etc and open fires.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So identical to every other country in the world then?
Yes. I come at it from a bit of an Anglo viewpoint prob'y so, a nice part of the world in Arizona or Southern Spain would not be something I would choose. Also my experiences in Australia
have made me a bit fussier, if anything. First world problems (and privileges) definitely.

Yet they still fall for the trap of grabbing the outside hose to find it frozen solid. You'd think they'd learn eh

I see the cold as a good excuse for the foods I love, like pea and ham soup etc and open fires.
Great minds think alike. I was up in Mansfield in the early autumn and it was a bit colder in the evening but beautiful blue skies.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yes, the coldest my wife has ever been in her entire life was outside Ballarat. As you say it is cheap for a reason, a good reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.