Reload this Page >

I dont like OZ, will I like NZ

I dont like OZ, will I like NZ

Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I dont like OZ, will I like NZ

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I can assure you now, that if isolation is an issue for you NZ is deffo NOT for you!! Of course you should go see for yourself, but i am pretty sure in my mind you really would not settle.
I know you will probably already be doing this, but maybe go look at properties for sale whilst there, look at job oportunities and compare cost of living versus wages. I think it might be a bit of a shock!!
I can't see that it is anymore isolated (wrt the rest of the world) than Ozz. I also got the impression that isolation was not at the top of her issue list.

The vast majority were specific to Ozz!

Just give NZ a go. Hardly much effort being next door(ish) and if at the end of the day you go back to blighty, consider it a little excursion on the way back...

You can read posts on shite houses and this and that, but it all depends on what you want from life. (I think it is a little overdone personaly). One man's meat and all that...
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:18 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
You should consider Melbourne, its a large city ( you don't like small towns)
It was voted the world's most liveable city, it has a cool climate, cold in winter with a mild summer, many more employment opportunities then New Zealand and few bugs and there are many fantastic destinations within 1 hours drive from Melbourne such as the surf coast and the Great Ocean Road.
Couldn't agree more. What is more, I know from having spent several months in Aus, that the last place I would live would be the Northern Territory. No disrespect to those of you who like it there, but I'm sure you'll appreciate that it's definitely not for everyone. Melb'n however, is lively, cosmopolitan and nothing, repeat nothing, like Darwin.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I respect your opinion..but, apart from the geographical isolation, (and in my opinion it is more isolated) the entire population of NZ is only 4 million, and over 1 million of those are squeezed into Auckland alone. This leaves 3 million strewn out across both north and south islands. Of course if you live in towns there will be people around etc, but it doesnt make for a diverse and wide range of options (for me anyway) Like you say, it depends on what type of person you are. If you really do like a quieter kind of life, mountain climbing, extreme sports and fishing then it could be a paradise for you. But i feel NZ will suit a very specific type of person and doesnt offer too many diverse styles of living for a lot of people, and thats why it becomes boring for some of us.

I also dont agree on the housing issue being overdone. Even buying newish properties has its pitfalls after the leaky building syndrome fiasco.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I respect your opinion..but, apart from the geographical isolation, (and in my opinion it is more isolated) the entire population of NZ is only 4 million, and over 1 million of those are squeezed into Auckland alone. This leaves 3 million strewn out across both north and south islands. Of course if you live in towns there will be people around etc, but it doesnt make for a diverse and wide range of options (for me anyway) Like you say, it depends on what type of person you are. If you really do like a quieter kind of life, mountain climbing, extreme sports and fishing then it could be a paradise for you. But i feel NZ will suit a very specific type of person and doesnt offer too many diverse styles of living for a lot of people, and thats why it becomes boring for some of us.

I also dont agree on the housing issue being overdone. Even buying newish properties has its pitfalls after the leaky building syndrome fiasco.
Based on nadja31’s original post, we can only assume her issues fall into 4 main categories.

1: The Spiders, etc…

2: Hate the fact everything is so far away here…
(Here she proceeds to mention next big city : 1600km away.)

This implies the isolation she feels is based on geographic distance between places in the same country. She also mentions the scenery issue related to the distance.

3: Hate the heat.

4: Hate the fact that there are no seasons.

All I am trying to do is point out that based on her issues, NZ would be an appropriate move, as none of the above apply here.

I am not discussing any other issues, as this is irrelevant in this context. All we have are the 4 basic facts as listed above.

Last edited by WheelsOfSteel; Oct 18th 2004 at 2:06 am.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

But point #2 is relevant.. where is the nearest BIG city on the South Island of NZ? Even Christchurch doesnt fall into that category.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

But point #2 is relevant.. where is the nearest BIG city on the South Island of NZ? Even Christchurch doesnt fall into that category.
Yeh, you have a point there

But seriously, nowhere over here is really that far from anywhere else. I know that is a draw for lots of people.

When I consider venturing out, unless it is to the N. Island, I don't consider any other means of transport but the car/truck.

The majority of the SI. is mountains and there is no road access as such, but you can still drive from say Christchurch to Nelson in about 6 hours and that is half the Island. The rest you just have to be adventurous to visit, but it's still not that far away

NZ is an accessable place. I am not going to say it has the bright lights and city streets of other countries but heh, this is NZ.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:25 am
wombat42

If she moves to New Zealand l bet that within 2 years she will either move back to the UK or to a different part of Australia.

Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree that it is a draw for a lot of people and good luck to them, and i'm glad you love it there. That is why i said it suits a specific type of person and you are obviously one of them. I dearly wish i was too, as the scenery in NZ is certainly spectacular, but after the first 6mths of travelling around and seeing different places i just felt dead inside. We dont really know what sort of she is, and what things she enjoys in life, maybe it will be perfect for her... i truly hope it is for her sake. I just put down my personal experience of it and thankfully you've put yours which gives a good balance, and i am glad we can do that without having to fall out...
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

...and i am glad we can do that without having to fall out...
Old Oct 18th 2004, 3:20 am
In Auckland, for now

hopper is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=WheelsOfSteel]
3: Hate the heat.

4: Hate the fact that there are no seasons. QUOTE]

Neither of those should be a problem.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:07 am
Just Joined

nadja31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deedee
i too couldn't stand Australia for all the reasons you post.
We live in the South Island, i've lived near Queenstown for a couple of years and for me its far far better.
And i've yet to see any spiders, although by the lake front there are sandflies, but not in abundance like the west coast.
I am not a follower of the hot sun and love the seasons, and its no colder here than the UK.
Tasmania is also a nice place, but i'd still prefere NZ
Tell me more. Is the cost of living as outrageous as everybody says. Any particular reason why you moved away frmo Queenstown?
Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like OZ, will I like NZ {?}

I don't know...will you?
What a question !!!

Gill.................... very happily settled in NZ
Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:15 am
Just Joined

nadja31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding isolation I think there is a difference between the isolation of the country (no doubt New Zealand is even more isolated than Australia) and the isolation of the town you actually live in. And I think there is a lot more places in Australia where you feel isolated than in New Zealand. Anywhere in New Zealand you don't need to travel far to see a different scenery or different town. Here you can travel for thousands of km and see basically nothing.

I hope that my holiday or extended stay will give me some answers. I have been to NZ before and Queenstown was a place where I felt instantly comfortable, loved the scenery, the size of the place, the fact that Wanaka, Christchurch and Dunedin are all not far (anything under 1000 km does not seem far anymore...). I have also been all around Australia numerous times. I liked Melbourne, liked Sydney, liked Perth, but for one reason or another I could never picture myself living there. I love the outdoors and love the mountains.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Yet.....!!!
Very true, i'm told they especially like pommy blood.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:20 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

I agree that the tropical north qld climate has changed and unpleasant is one way to describe it at times. However TENNANT CREEK why??? This place is basically a town along two dual carriageways. Weird and isolated does not even begin to describe it. As for bugs, red backs, white tails and then there are the plethora of snakes that drop by for a visit when the mice come in. Have to say though it sounds like it may not just be the place that's bothering you. Why not have a look/visit other places and see how you feel. I mean i live up here but love Melbourne even though i have lived in Sydney. Have yet to go to WA. Darwin is experiencing a variety in it's wet/dry seasoning at the mo and most people will say that the weather system has changed in the last couple of years. This is another reason i couldn't stay there, the isolation from another place as well as from mates was a definate downer. There is a lot of experimenting that can be done if you are unhappy but check that it's not just the place making you blue e.g isolation, poor social life etc. Don't compare the southern hemisphere with the northern or you will be in heaps of tears e.g. shops, wages etc NO i am not being condicending but i have been through this a couple of times before i was married before i finally settled.