Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I don't know how much more of Australia I can take...

I don't know how much more of Australia I can take...

Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default I don't know how much more of Australia I can take...

Yet more hassle with my windows!

Most of the double glazed units have had to be replaced a couple of times: the main bedroom unit was done again yesterday.

The original glass was faulty, with waves in it which distorted the view. The replacement unit had drying marks within the space. A third unit was broken during installation and for the last two months (because everything closes down for weeks over Christmas) we've lived with a 3' crack down the right hand side. And the "new" replacement yesterday was seen to be all fogged up inside at dusk.

So: over a year since installation - and payment in full - and after 7 months in the house we are still waiting for a complete set of windows.

And that's only one problem with them, too.

I'm afraid that it is only too typical of the way things "work" here (my quotes). We Australians just don't live in the same century as most of the rest of the world.

Just had to get that off my chest: I've had enough.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:00 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Re: I don't know how much more of Australia I can take...

Originally Posted by Wol

Most of the double glazed units have had to be replaced a couple of times: the main bedroom unit was done again yesterday.

The original glass was faulty, with waves in it which distorted the view. The replacement unit had drying marks within the space. A third unit was broken during installation and for the last two months (because everything closes down for weeks over Christmas) we've lived with a 3' crack down the right hand side. And the "new" replacement yesterday was seen to be all fogged up inside at dusk.

So: over a year since installation - and payment in full - and after 7 months in the house we are still waiting for a complete set of windows.

I'm afraid that it is only too typical of the way things "work" here (my quotes). We Australians just don't live in the same century as most of the rest of the world.

no different to the uk.......
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:02 pm
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol

Your lucky, You should try living in Spain mate.
Id swop with you.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

If you want anything done properly here you need to do it yourself.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:47 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know they even did double glazing in Aus!!
Do you have flyscreens on them too?
J x
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:57 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Phhht....double glazing.....

When I was a kid we didn't even have windows - we had to draw pictures of what was outside so w ehad a nice view.....

ON a serious note......if the biggest problem you have in your life is that you aren't entirely happy with your double glazing then what the hell is the problem.....???

Not that I'm trying to be a smart-arse (or perhaps I am), but presumably you have made a huge move in relocating your life......and the one problem is the quality of the double glazing......c'mon - SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!

...wonder why the english are referred to as winging poms.....???
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:07 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

jeez! winging poms? whatever next,whinging poms? better noisy than flying tho hey?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:08 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

ps you cant be a" smart arse" if you cant even spelllll.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
ON a serious note......if the biggest problem you have in your life is that you aren't entirely happy with your double glazing then what the hell is the problem.....???

Not that I'm trying to be a smart-arse (or perhaps I am), but presumably you have made a huge move in relocating your life......and the one problem is the quality of the double glazing......c'mon - SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!

Don't be so patronising!!! He's paid out in full, probably a substantial amount of money, and received a faulty product. Not just once. Repeatedly.

I don't care what nationality you are, or which country you are in, that sort of "service" is going to piss you off! It does not make you a whingeing pom, it makes you a justifiably angry customer.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

When I was a kid we didn't even have windows - we had to draw pictures of what was outside so w ehad a nice view.....

Wol says he can't take much more which suggest to me that he's had many other issues with poor quality and service etc. This is no surprise to me, as the standards here are shocking. To excuse it, aussies like you defend it as though people like Wol are just whingeing poms.

Last edited by Potato_potato; Feb 14th 2008 at 9:25 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

wrong mate, if you read all his posts then you would know why he has enough. And it is not about that the windows don't fit etc, it is the fact that Australians tell each other over and over again what a great country they live in and how wonderful everything is. Other countries are not so obsessed with themselves.

Where I come from, double glazing is standard for decades. I had new ones fitted in at one stage no problem at all. Why? because it is standard over there, here it is not. They simply lack behind times, and not only with double glazing. In Perth, to my knowledge, there are 3 companies who do double glazing. One of it is a new one, owned by Brits which I will check out. From my experience in OZ (11 years), I always had a positve experience when dealing with Brits when it comes to renovation, not so with the locals. Generalized, I know, but just my experience.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Wol has had plenty of other things to piss him off.

Typical Aussie to immediately go on the defensive without looking at the bigger picture..
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:27 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Don't be so patronising!!! He's paid out in full, probably a not unsubstantial amount of money, and received a faulty product. Not just once. Repeatedly.

I don't care what nationality you are, or which country you are in, that sort of "service" is going to piss you off! It does not make you a whingeing pom, it makes you a justifiably angry customer.
Whoaaa up there Rabsody...

I didn't mean to offend and apologise if I did.....

I guess that I have the sort of personality where I tend to not let 'little' things worry me too much...my girlfriend is exactly the opposite and panics if the milk if out of date.....

I guess I was simpply trying to remind people to put things into perspective.....

I understand that if you pay for something (ie windows), you want that something (in a suitable condition) but IMHO, its not something to go getting yourself all in a knot about!!! -0 you cold spend your whole life getting annoyed abotu hte windows, or the carpet, or the dog grooming ..or whatever!!

Its windows...annoying - yes, but lets keep things in perspective.....

I've also just been reading a post on another forum where people are battling with things like whether they should return to their home country (America, in this instance) because they have cancer..... and other such situations...and one on this forum about the poor lady who's 16 year old daughter has threatened to kill herself if the family move to Australia. etc

Not saying that this gentlemans windows aren't important (they are obviously of great concern to him).....but just keep in mind that, if windows are the only major concern....you are PRETTY BLOODY LUCKY!

And I know that this forum is not a place for comparison of one man's problems with another - noone's concerns are any less importnat that anyone else's.

Just my smart-arse say of saying chill out!

Also, for the record, I am a dual citizen (UK and Australia) having been born and raised in Aust and lived in the UK For the past few years....and YES< I constantly get into trouble/offend people in the UK because I find that brits are generally more worried about little things that many other nationalities...which is fine and I apologise!

Also, the comment about whinging poms should have perhaps been directed at my mum (who is English).....she complains about 'silly' things too!! From the point of view of an 'average' Australian, I tend to think that the english do get themselves a little would up about silly things.... not that I have an issue with this - after all, I am half english myself.... (hope this doesn't get me into more trouble.....)

I suppose the flip-side of english people worrying too much about little things is that Australians are regarded as not worrying enough - too often the 'she'll be right, mnate' attitude can lead to things not being done as a customer would expect - anyone else had an aussie tradesman do a half arsed job, just to shrug his shoulders in a 'she'll be right, good as its gonna get' type of fashion...

Perhaps we don't care as much as we should

Once again, apologies to all who were offended by my comments!

A
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

They don't seem to build for the climate here. You might as well camp out.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:29 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Wol says he can't take much more which suggest to me that he's had many other issues with poor quality and service etc. This is no surprise to me, as the standards here are shocking. To excuse it, aussies like you defend it as though people like Wol are just whingeing poms.
I'm not defending poor windows - in fact I was just commenting, in another post that it is generally an aussie tradition to do a half arsed job and not worry too much about it.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.