Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I dislike UK estate agents, but.....

I dislike UK estate agents, but.....

Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I dislike UK estate agents, but.....

Originally Posted by Phoenix
they don't really care about little things like that. I quite like that to be honest. Much more important things to do n all that
This attitude will soon grate on you. Down to earth can often mean lazy.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

When I sold my place the agent used 'pre-drought' pics of the outdoor areas taken from the particulars when I bought the place.....the garden looked much better then!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
This attitude will soon grate on you. Down to earth can often mean lazy.
how true is that!

right i am off to pick up all the washing that my family leave all over the floor
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:38 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just love the headline descriptions estate agents in Oz have for the houses they are trying to sell.

Best one so far is "Garlic Paradise" wtf you might well ask as we did

Priced at from $559K, the blurb went on to say

"Feature of the house is a huge built in BBQ in the garden where you can cook anything and everything You will never have to cook in the kitchen again. Imagine the garlic infused food you can enjoy every day"

Hmmmm - vampires need not make an offer then.

Second best so far is "Desperate Housewife".

The blurb for this one, really embarrasingly, went on to say how the lady of the house was going through a divorce and had to sell to pay off her debts. She would take offers as she was desperate.

Now I know she probably approved the details but I really would not be happy for every Tom, Dick and Hussein to be knowing how desperate I was to sell and why.

Spelling errors crack me up - 'sort after', 'wood you like to live by the sea', I've even seen nose for knows. Plus the obligatory, predictable headlines of Entertainer's Delight and Rare as Hen's Teeth. Well if the house is rare as hen's teeth why are there so many of them being described like that

Last edited by crystal23; Feb 14th 2008 at 12:41 am.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenix
As for the photos, yes some are rubbish and I fail to see the reasoning behind some of the shots but as regards to laundry on display etc - dya know what ? I think its the aussie way, they don't really care about little things like that. I quite like that to be honest. Much more important things to do n all that
I reckon that in the majority of the cases where washing-up is on display and the living room liiks like a tip - the house is currently rented.

Tenants won't give a rats about what the photos look like and possibly think that the worse the pictures look- the less likely the house will sell and they won't have to move in a hurry.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Spelling errors crack me up - 'sort after', 'wood you like to live by the sea', I've even seen nose for knows. Plus the obligatory, predictable headlines of Entertainer's Delight and Rare as Hen's Teeth. Well if the house is rare as hen's teeth why are there so many of them being described like that
Not a spelling error, but what about "Amazing Sea Views! (from potential second storey)" ?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Not a spelling error, but what about "Amazing Sea Views! (from potential second storey)" ?
Meaning that if you were to build higher you would be able to see the sea? Well duh! Everyone within a mile of the coast could put that!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Meaning that if you were to build higher you would be able to see the sea? Well duh! Everyone within a mile of the coast could put that!
Yes, we fell for that one once, went to see the house, no sea view then re-read the blurb in the advert and realized.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

'City glimpses' are great too. Meaning that in the reflection from the neighbour's window I can see the red light on top of the metal spire on top of the highest building in the CBD. Yay! Slap on another $50k!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a great real estate guy sell us this place, couldn't have been more helpful and was also a very nice bloke. He's retired now, hope he wasn't the only nice one on the coast
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

for less fees you could always try Go Gecko. NOt sure where else they are, but they are in Brisbane and their fees are capped at maximum of $5950. As far as I know, most people look up realestate.com.au to find their houses, so as long as you are on there I think you will get the exposure you need. (Apparently you can't get your house on there unless you are an agent.) Go Gecko seems to be gettin gmore and more popular here - although not sure how good they are at negotiating, but then who knows how good all the other muppets are??
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

or how about "filtered water views". That means there is a bottle of Evian on the windowsill...
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by mrsridge
Go Gecko seems to be gettin gmore and more popular here - although not sure how good they are at negotiating, but then who knows how good all the other muppets are??
This is they key point....its in their interest to get you off their books as quickly as possible - they stand to gain nothing from holding out for a better price for you. If I had sold my house through them I maybe wouldve saved $8k in commision but on auction day my agent, who I did think was a genuinely nice chap, managed to negotiate an extra $25k once the bidding stalled. I'm not sure a capped commision agent would have the same incentive - it just takes one incremental bid at an auction and you've got that commision money back.