Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I dislike UK estate agents, but.....

I dislike UK estate agents, but.....

Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

redissue has a spectacular aura aboutredissue has a spectacular aura aboutredissue has a spectacular aura about
Default I dislike UK estate agents, but.....

compared with those over here then they appear to be university-educated.
By that I mean I am on the Central Coast of NSW, looking loads of real estate websites, and absolutely sick of looking at photos of people's breakfast dishes, 8 photos of the front garden and one of the inside, shots of dogs running away, blurred photos, and much more besides. It makes me hanker for the robbers who masquerade as 'estate agents' in the UK. and they charge the vendor 3+% here! There again, this sounds like I have forgotten how the estate agents in the UK have lost me a lot of money by them screwing up our house sale and costing me with the depreciating pound since.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I dislike UK estate agents, but.....

Originally Posted by redissue
By that I mean I am on the Central Coast of NSW, looking loads of real estate websites, and absolutely sick of looking at photos of people's breakfast dishes, 8 photos of the front garden and one of the inside, shots of dogs running away, blurred photos, and much more besides. It makes me hanker for the robbers who masquerade as 'estate agents' in the UK. and they charge the vendor 3+% here! There again, this sounds like I have forgotten how the estate agents in the UK have lost me a lot of money by them screwing up our house sale and costing me with the depreciating pound since.
Every Real Estate Agent I've come across in Australia seems to be seedy, lazy and after a quick buck - much like used car salesmen.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:17 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Completely true. I think the real estate industry especially in Queensland is shameful.

If I were at a party I think I would prefer to say that I was an used car salesman rather than fess up to being a real estate agent. Or maybe a rat catcher.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

They are the scum of the earth regardless of where they are from. The do nothing at all. They are the human equivalent of wasps.

Rant over.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:37 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, I live on the central coast and in my industry (I'm a town planner) I deal regularly with estate agents......

I was going to suggest a good one that you can use.....but I actually can't think of any good agents that I would recommend.

I'm a Terrigal local (my home town) so if I can offer any assistance or advice please PM me....

I do know a really good (reliable, honest and straight down the line) mortgage broker who really knows his stuff - but I guess unless you have found that perfect house then its not good me providing you with his contact details just yet!!

If it makes you feel any better I have this to add:

Over the past decade there has been a housing boom on the central coast (and everywhere) and properties where selling so quickly that just about anyone with a car and mobile phone could make a living being an estate agent. Heaps of shonky idiots have popped up over the last ten years.....

However, with interest rates on the rise over the past year or so, property sales have slumped on the central coast and its now that only the 'better' agents are surviving....hopefully the poorly qualified and less experienced (less honest) ones will start to drop off.....
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:42 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

My fave aussie estate agent blurb is......."highly sort after area".....i reckon its in 70% of ads.....what does it mean???
Old Feb 13th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
My fave aussie estate agent blurb is......."highly sort after area".....i reckon its in 70% of ads.....what does it mean???
I think it's something to do categorisation of areas...

Ha, we mock but soon it might be an accepted spelling. How the poor English language is being mutilated every day...
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

the "best" photos i have ever saw was of a house

1 photo of outside front

1 photo of outside back

1 photo of pool

1 photo of living rm where there was washing drying on a clothes horse which included the biggest pair of greying y fronts i have ever seen!

1 photo of kitchen with women facing away from the camera and was bent over putting dishes in the dishwasher , but all you were really looking at was this poor womens huge bum!!!

i also like the photos of taps in bathrm

and photos of a shed

i also would like to say that not all au estate agents are lying twats some are honest
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

neighbours of ours had a massive board put up outside their house with a photo of the kitchen -- all their dirty dishes in the sink and on the side -- you could tell what they'd had for dinner! I would have been mortified!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
neighbours of ours had a massive board put up outside their house with a photo of the kitchen -- all their dirty dishes in the sink and on the side -- you could tell what they'd had for dinner! I would have been mortified!
I went to see a house for sale once....it was clearly a rental property.....and the tenants couldn't care less about the presentation. All their best Ann Summers type gear was much in evidence.....there were even pink fluffy handcuffs attached to the bed.....you had to feel sorry for the owners!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I went to see a house for sale once....it was clearly a rental property.....and the tenants couldn't care less about the presentation. All their best Ann Summers type gear was much in evidence.....there were even pink fluffy handcuffs attached to the bed.....you had to feel sorry for the owners!
oh that priceless!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

we are trying to sell our house... we went with an agent who is also selling the house we want to buy, thought it would encourage them to sell ours quick and get two loads of commission pretty easily. How wrong we were.

The main problem is getting feedback, I dont know if they are scared about offending us or what but if someone's come through our home and doesnt like it I want to know why - could be something we could change quite easily. But it's like getting blood out of a stone

Driving me bonkers, if we didnt love the (hopefully) new place so much we'd have given up by now.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:57 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
we are trying to sell our house... we went with an agent who is also selling the house we want to buy, thought it would encourage them to sell ours quick and get two loads of commission pretty easily. How wrong we were.

The main problem is getting feedback, I dont know if they are scared about offending us or what but if someone's come through our home and doesnt like it I want to know why - could be something we could change quite easily. But it's like getting blood out of a stone

Driving me bonkers, if we didnt love the (hopefully) new place so much we'd have given up by now.
sell it yourself, stick an ad in the local paper. Save yourself $$$. If its priced right, it'll sell!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
sell it yourself, stick an ad in the local paper. Save yourself $$$. If its priced right, it'll sell!
unfortunately we are in a contract for 120 days now.... we have another home open this weekend so fingers crossed
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons we've decided to build is so that we do not have to get involved with real estate agents.

Where we are, they seem to hold some sort of celebrity status with their photos splashed over billboards and in the papers. It's almost as though they take pride in ripping you off.

One particular agency pumps substantial amounts of money into the local cricket and football (The World Game) clubs, but other than that, I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could spit.

And as for some of their 'catch phrases' on realestate.com.au..........CRINGE

Last edited by tictac; Feb 13th 2008 at 11:16 pm. Reason: inappropriate use of apostrophes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.