Reload this Page >

I am thinking of moving to OZ

I am thinking of moving to OZ

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

emmani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am thinking of moving to OZ

Originally Posted by MartinH
Until last November we lived on the Upper North Shore in Pymble which is about 30-40 minutes from the CBD (car or train) and a similar distance from the beaches. We have now left as we did not really like it as much as we though we would!

The problem with the northern beaches is that they are not serviced by a train line which means either a car (expensive to park in the CBD) or a bus.

Also you need to think cost versus living space as this might a better place to start. Prices have moderated recently but its still an expensive place to live. e.g. if you can "only" afford $500,000 then that might dictate where you can look.

South of the harbour tends to be cheaper and some people prefer it.

Are you thinking about private school or public?

public school really and i don;t want to pay a fortune for living either, i will have to have a lok further and see wheres best.
many thanks and if you have any more advice please keep it coming.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmani

We have done our research and are looking towards sydney area, northern beaches. We have 2 young childrewn and want a better lifestyle for them to grow up in and with teh economic climate here and other things we feel its the right time to take the next step.

Many thanks and all comments gratefully accepted.x
What do you think of Australias current economic climate?

Do a search on work in the construction industry too, been very badly hit in OZ.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was wondering why you last four posters had lost the plot !!!

They mentioned "sydney area, northern beaches"

Then I checked back, they edited their post after you had all posted.....

Bloody anoying that can make you look a bit of a dickhead as your reply has now no meaning.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:14 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

We have done our research and are looking towards sydney area, northern beaches. We have 2 young childrewn and want a better lifestyle for them to grow up in and with teh economic climate here and other things we feel its the right time to take the next step.

I work in marketing and my partner is in construction. We have gone through the full assessment and we can get in on point through my partners skills and cana pply for a working skills visa.

I am not looking for a city life i want some where more laidback with good schools for my children. The attraction to austraia is the way of life, i am open minded and i do understand that the problems i might face here could be the same as i face there but we have contemplated this for some years now and personal circumtances has now given us the push to do it and you can but try i would rather say i tried that wish i had done.

To the OP have to ever come to Oz to see the lifestyle? I work a lot more here than I did in the UK for not a lot more.

In fact if I did not really like living here I would say my lifestyle was better in the Uk. As odd as that sounds.

I should note I dont have kids
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What do you think of Australias current economic climate?
Maybe they read the latest IMF world economy estimates...........

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:04 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in marketing and my partner is in construction. We have gone through the full assessment and we can get in on point through my partners skills and cana pply for a working skills visa.

I am not looking for a city life i want some where more laidback with good schools for my children. The attraction to austraia is the way of life, i am open minded and i do understand that the problems i might face here could be the same as i face there but we have contemplated this for some years now and personal circumtances has now given us the push to do it and you can but try i would rather say i tried that wish i had done.

research research research........watched kevin swan today at 9am, think i would do even more research after listening especially concerning construction industry
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Hey, to the original poster

I'd go to Melbourne, it has everything you could want, most like Europe, has a beautiful state and is probably the least in terms of culture shock, you still get your four seasons and the locals are probably not so far removed/disinterested in where you have come from as they might be in Queensland. Beaches are not as good as NSW or QL, WA or NT but they are still better than most of Europe.

WA i think is a risk, cos you either like it or you dont, and for many making the move from such a small island like UK with so many people to WA can be seriously challenging.

I lived in Sydney for a year and agree with other posters, wasnt for me for same reasons they put, but know plenty of people who love it there.

One other thing, Sydney and NSW probably has the highest concentration of younger Brits (I could be wrong) which again, you might like, or not.

Obviously I am biased to melbourne as moved here in 99 and left last year for 12 months, but coming back after london made me really appreciate what i have got here.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:06 am
Just Joined

emmani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sherro
Hey, to the original poster

I'd go to Melbourne, it has everything you could want, most like Europe, has a beautiful state and is probably the least in terms of culture shock, you still get your four seasons and the locals are probably not so far removed/disinterested in where you have come from as they might be in Queensland. Beaches are not as good as NSW or QL, WA or NT but they are still better than most of Europe.

WA i think is a risk, cos you either like it or you dont, and for many making the move from such a small island like UK with so many people to WA can be seriously challenging.

I lived in Sydney for a year and agree with other posters, wasnt for me for same reasons they put, but know plenty of people who love it there.

One other thing, Sydney and NSW probably has the highest concentration of younger Brits (I could be wrong) which again, you might like, or not.

Obviously I am biased to melbourne as moved here in 99 and left last year for 12 months, but coming back after london made me really appreciate what i have got here.
Many thanks for this i have a friend who is the process of moving to melbourne ad she has said that it is one of the best places to move to so i will have a look into the towns around that area.

many thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

It is very easy to be swayed one way or another by opinions of friends or even complete strangers on here!
What you need to do is really look at what you want as a family eg we wanted warm weather all year & lots of green, hence we looked at the tropical north. I also did not want to live with constant water restrictions. Easy access to beaches & a city that was more like a large UK town were also part of the requirement. We changed our minds several times whilst researching & applying for visa but so far, I think all the research hours paid off
One of the biggest considerations at the moment is the likeliehood of employment wherever you choose.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:33 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
It is very easy to be swayed one way or another by opinions of friends or even complete strangers on here!
What you need to do is really look at what you want as a family eg we wanted warm weather all year & lots of green, hence we looked at the tropical north. I also did not want to live with constant water restrictions. Easy access to beaches & a city that was more like a large UK town were also part of the requirement. We changed our minds several times whilst researching & applying for visa but so far, I think all the research hours paid off
One of the biggest considerations at the moment is the likeliehood of employment wherever you choose.
whats the employment position in the north Sally ?

on a scale of 1-10, 1 being shite
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisbanebob
whats the employment position in the north Sally ?

on a scale of 1-10, 1 being shite
Well, we are in Cairns & my OH is about to move to Townsville for work It has taken nearly 6 months to get this one offer & at the moment it would be madness to turn it down.
I work full-time at the hospital in Cairns & I know that there are quite a lot of nurses whose husbands are finding it very hard to get work.
One of the guys who works in the bottle shop used to drive for the mines, now struggling to feed his family on his current wages!
If the tourist season is quiet as it may well be, it can only get worse!