Reload this Page >

I am so angry with the Abbey National

I am so angry with the Abbey National

Old May 20th 2004, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am so angry with the Abbey National

They must be the biggest load of bloody idiots God ever put on this earth

Despite me sitting in the branch for two hours today, with two small incredibly bored kids, and after me ranting and raving, they finally agreed to send our bond payment to Halewood on a same day T/T as priority..... BUT THEY HAVEN'T

The branch even phoned me at 4pm to say they'd talked to the T/T department and had been assured the money would be transferred before close of business tonight...BUT IT HASN'T

I read a post on here last week to say Abbey had a problem, but we thought it would be sorted by now, I mean, Abbey are such a huge group they're bound to have a massive IT support network who would get this problem fixed....OBVIOUSLY NOT What have they got working in the IT dept then? Chimps?!!!

They've had major network problems with their T/T system and are only sending priority ones the same day.

OOOOOooooooooooooo I could damn well scream!!! They have our money and we can't send the stuff anywhere. So it means another God knows how long for me sat on the phone yelling at some incompetent pillock in the morning!

There....rant over! Just be warned, anyone else intending to use the Abbey National.............DON'T!
Old May 20th 2004, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

damned glad i didn't run into YOU today lass. lol

Paul
Old May 20th 2004, 7:27 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
damned glad i didn't run into YOU today lass. lol

Paul
Me too. Also glad I don't work for the Abbey - millions spent on advertising a name change and fancy logo but no back-end services

TraceyW, hope you get it sorted tomorrow before the weekend. Kick some arse and threaten to set the kids on the manager.
Old May 20th 2004, 9:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Abbey National are driving me to distraction. They cancelled my standing order for loan repayments by accident,and after 5 months of phone calls, e-mails and letters, they are still saying they can't re-instate it unless I go into the branch. Meantime I am having to post them a cheque once a month, on receipt of which they write to me saying they would prefer the money by standing order!
Old May 20th 2004, 9:08 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Pollyana
Abbey National are driving me to distraction. They cancelled my standing order for loan repayments by accident,and after 5 months of phone calls, e-mails and letters, they are still saying they can't re-instate it unless I go into the branch. Meantime I am having to post them a cheque once a month, on receipt of which they write to me saying they would prefer the money by standing order!

I know its still not as good, but you should be able to get a STO form sent out to you. They cant do it over the phone if they dont know you (as they cant match your signature to the mandate.) With a signed form they can!
Old May 20th 2004, 9:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I can't see why they won't post me a form, but they are just singularly unhelpful. Even told them they can post it to my UK address and it'll just get forwarded, but still no go. Nor will they give me the relevant details to pay it by internet banking - apparently their account "will not accept electronic payments"......
Old May 20th 2004, 9:44 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Pollyana
Yep, I can't see why they won't post me a form, but they are just singularly unhelpful. Even told them they can post it to my UK address and it'll just get forwarded, but still no go. Nor will they give me the relevant details to pay it by internet banking - apparently their account "will not accept electronic payments"......
Do you have online banking? You'd be able to set up your own STO then.
Old May 20th 2004, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

this from the Commonwealth Bank Friday last week:

Me - "Hi, I think I left my ATM card in your branch earlier this week. I did a withdrawl transaction over the counter as your machine was out of order"

Them - "what day ?"

Me - "Tuesday"

Them " Well we've destroyed the card then"

Me "what do you mean you've destroyed it. didn't you think to give me a call?"

Them - "Can you imagine how many people we'd have to employ to provide a service like that"

They're great.
Old May 21st 2004, 12:04 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I think most banks are the same, when we came to nz we wanted to know how best to take our money and although our bank seemed helpful we got a different answer everytime.
Old May 21st 2004, 12:49 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Beware with Abbey National! One of my best friends, who's emmigrated to Oz, kept her Abbey account open to pay off UK bills. Her ATM card expired shortly after she had received a large inheritance into the account, rendering her unable to withdraw any funds. So she phoned up Abbey to get a replacement card sent to her, only to be told that they could not send it to her overseas through a phone request, she would have to visit a branch, in person!!!! She then asked if it could be sent to a friend in the UK, who could then forward it to her - nope!

She came to visit the UK several months later, and I took her to the local Abbey branch so she withdraw some of her money out and sort out her debit card. Nightmare! Although she has lived most of her life in the UK, she doesn't hold a UK passport, only a Zimbabwean passport (which she used as ID when she opened her bank account). This wasn't acceptable to Abbey as a form of ID, as it was a 'foreign' passport (despite the fact that UK immigration had no problem letting her into the country with it!). They also wouldn't accept her expired debit card or driver's licence as proof of ID. After 30 minutes of her pulling her hair out trying to figure out what kind of ID would be ok, they finally decided they would 'call somebody' and try to sort it out. After another 15 minutes, they told her it would be ok for her to withdraw up to her £300 daily limit, but she would have to go through the same thing again if she wanted to withdraw any money on another date!!! She then asked about getting getting a new debit card to withdraw money with, and was told ok, but that they couldn't hold it for her at a UK branch so she could use it while in the UK, it had to be sent to her address they had on file... IN AUSTRALIA!!!

Needless to say, witnessing this put me off banking with Abbey National for life!
Old May 21st 2004, 12:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a bad experience on their passbook savings account that is supposed to not let you go overdrawn. They miscalculated my balance so it appeared to have an extra 100 GBP. I used it but moved to barclays shortly after. Not knowing that the 100 had been debited again I went into the red unbeknown to myself. Got a threatening letter so I had to have a strong word with the manager.

They let me off the 100gbp and closed the account.
Old May 21st 2004, 7:04 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

most certainly complain - last year we were remortgaging and transferred a largish amount of money from my bank account to the solicitor as part of all the balances. Anyway as you know you have to pay for this service (ie TT) and on the forms I specified a date for this to be done.

It was transferred the next working day which was several days before it should have been done. Complained that I had paid for a service to be carried out on such a date and that had not been done per the agreement. As the money had been taken early I had lost out on interest.

Therefore pointed out the financial loss and the inconvience of having to point out their error - they eventually credited my account with £50 covering the TT cost, interest, plus a bit more.

Go with a similar tact and see what you can get
Old May 21st 2004, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Bloodyhell how annoying. The trouble is they dont realise how important it is, they think it is just another stupid little transfer.
We had huge probs with the Halifax. We released the equity in order to pay our bond. It took them 6 months to get the money into our account. Luckily i applied to them at the beginning of our application. When I tried tio tell them that if the bond is requested and we dont have the funds we will lose our visa, never being able to apply again due to the point increase.......they said Yes we do understand but we have other customers!!! At one point I got so stressed out I had to take time off work!!!!
Old May 21st 2004, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

YIIIPPP...FLIPPIN'....EEEEEEEE!!!!!

The money has finally gone and is winging it's way over to the WA Treasury as I speak!

The Abbey branch manager has apologised profusely and not charged the TT fee (good of him ) and I've had a lovely bunch of flowers delivered today by interflora!

All very nice....but I'd much have rathered the darn money go when I requested it and to have not had to go through all of this stress!

I can declare now, hand on heart, when we complete in a few weeks on our house, our equity will not be going within a mile of the Abbey. It'll be going to the NatWest instead. Oh come on them...hit me with it....who's had major hassles moving money with the NatWest then...???!!!
Old May 21st 2004, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

No probs with Nat West but Halifax are appalling.

This week I received a letter saying that I did not have enough money in my account to pay my mortgage so they'd bounced it and charged me for the privilege. It turns out that they did a review of my loan account, saw that I had enough money in my current account (I'd just been paid) to pay it off in total (£1,500) so just transferred the money from my account without bothering to tell me. Four hours of telephone calls to six different people on four different numbers and it turns out that they are allowed to do it as it says in the loan contract that I signed. Another two hours spent in the bank screaming and sobbing and finally they agreed to refund me the £1,500 but I'd have to still pay the bank charges and, if I wanted to, I could pay £200 on the 1st June and they'd forget the rest of the loan ????!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.