Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am a muppet! iPhone, broadhband and all that jazz!

I am a muppet! iPhone, broadhband and all that jazz!

Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:43 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default I am a muppet! iPhone, broadhband and all that jazz!

Hello all!

I am a muppet! I thought we'd not be able to live the dream...but its now happened so fast. Have job starting in January 2011 in Melbourne...

I've sold the car got sorted for shipping etc... but....

Just taken out a 2 year contract iPhone with orange. Gonna be expensive to buy out! Bugger!

Don;t understand all the Aussie description of mobile plans... can anyone tell me how to find/which is the best SIM only plan for my iphone if I get it unlocked? I don't make many calls...mostly data. Or would I be better flogging it here and buying a new one there? Also..I don;t really understand home phone / broadband packages....?

Thanks for help - I've figured most things but this is puzzling me!

S.Dog.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:10 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am a muppet! iPhone, broadhband and all that jazz!

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Hello all!

I am a muppet! I thought we'd not be able to live the dream...but its now happened so fast. Have job starting in January 2011 in Melbourne...

I've sold the car got sorted for shipping etc... but....

Just taken out a 2 year contract iPhone with orange. Gonna be expensive to buy out! Bugger!

Don;t understand all the Aussie description of mobile plans... can anyone tell me how to find/which is the best SIM only plan for my iphone if I get it unlocked? I don't make many calls...mostly data. Or would I be better flogging it here and buying a new one there? Also..I don;t really understand home phone / broadband packages....?

Thanks for help - I've figured most things but this is puzzling me!

S.Dog.
Hi sniffydog,
Firstly you need to know where you are going to be. If its outside metropolitan areas, Telstra, cursed be their name, are most unfortunately the only option if you want data and the occassional reception on your iphone. I have a sim only with them and it costs me about $30 per month in top ups for as much phone calls and data as I would ever need and then some (I currently have tons of credit). If you are in the city, you will have much better options, and someone will no doubt come along and tell you about them.
On the broadband side, be prepared for it to cost a lot more than the uk and usage is metered. Think not just of the cost, but the service - internode and iinet regularly have the best service record, and internode offer a $60 per month and 50gig offer which is good. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH TELSTRA!!!!!
Don't think you would be better off flogging your phone unless you can't get it unlocked legit. Visit the apple au store to check the price of one if you want to compare (and remember the 4 comes out soon)
Good luck
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I can't help with the Oz side of things, but in regards to your Orange contract, can you not sell the iPhone, and put that money towards paying off the contract?

Depending on the model you have, you could get a reasonable amount for the phone. ie 3GS 16GB will fetch £260. Sell the iPhone, drop your contract down to the lowest tariff they will allow, and pay it off?

Or just cancel the direct debit and get on the plane...
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
I can't help with the Oz side of things, but in regards to your Orange contract, can you not sell the iPhone, and put that money towards paying off the contract?

Depending on the model you have, you could get a reasonable amount for the phone. ie 3GS 16GB will fetch £260. Sell the iPhone, drop your contract down to the lowest tariff they will allow, and pay it off?

Or just cancel the direct debit and get on the plane...

Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I put that little comment in to see if it got some reactions lol
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Bushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant future

Hey Sniffy,

Take the iPhone 4 back to Orange and demand a refund and that they cancel your contract. I took mine back last week.... was a bit of a battle of nerves with the store manager but I won.

The iPhone (due to the design problem) is "not fit for purpose". By law you can return it within 28 days. However Stevie Jobs said on TV you can return iPhones by 30th September 2010 - admitting there was a technical problem.

Orange will not be able to hold you to the contract.

Better off getting a new one in Oz... if Appkle do have a hardware fic/replacement in the future it will be easier dealing with it where you bought the phone.

Good luck.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

aussie plans are different. for a monthly fee you get a credit amount eg for a $79 cap on vodafone you get unlimited calls to vodafone and 3, unlimited texts national and international and $800 credit for other calls etc - and the iphone is free on that.

one thing if plan to bump orange off or any other debtors - if you have them. if you banked with HSBC for example, and asked them to sort your oz account out, then your accounts are linked and all those in the uk can still 'see' you and youll get caught.

just go on vodafone.com.au, optus.com.au and telstra.com.au

i avoided telstra as their contracts are so poor in relation to the other providers - and i was told this was because they had the best coverage. its true but hey - who wants to live in the outback. im on vaodafone and it works fine and generally get good coverage inc 3G. and i got the $79 cap thingy so i can text all my mates back in the UK free, and you get 1gb data to use for browsing. may not sound a lot but just down the free wi-fi locating app and away you go.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:59 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
aussie plans are different. for a monthly fee you get a credit amount eg for a $79 cap on vodafone you get unlimited calls to vodafone and 3, unlimited texts national and international and $800 credit for other calls etc - and the iphone is free on that.

one thing if plan to bump orange off or any other debtors - if you have them. if you banked with HSBC for example, and asked them to sort your oz account out, then your accounts are linked and all those in the uk can still 'see' you and youll get caught.

just go on vodafone.com.au, optus.com.au and telstra.com.au

i avoided telstra as their contracts are so poor in relation to the other providers - and i was told this was because they had the best coverage. its true but hey - who wants to live in the outback. im on vaodafone and it works fine and generally get good coverage inc 3G. and i got the $79 cap thingy so i can text all my mates back in the UK free, and you get 1gb data to use for browsing. may not sound a lot but just down the free wi-fi locating app and away you go.
If only it was just the outback! I live in a regional city in NSW (streetlights and shops too!) and vodafone just don't have good enough coverage, nor do optus.
I hate telstra with a passion but am stuck with them until someone sorts out their effective monopoly position
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

ouch lol.

telstras contract was absolutely garbage in contrast with vodafone for me. thankfully the reception is bang on here in pyrmont, and its fine in woonona where we're moving too
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rod-Helen-Poppy
I'd happily pay more if it meant better coverage!!! When I was in Oz last year with my UK mobile, it roamed on Telstra's network, and I was getting signal miles out of the city, where as my cousin on his 3 mobile had nothing. Pointless having a phone that only works in towns and cities.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

im not denying that telstra have better coverage - they do.

but where i have travelled too and will be living my vodafone coverage is ok - still 3G in the main, and where it isnt neither is telstras.

it just didnt warrant the extortionate monthly equivalent tarriff cos neither. telstras plan was shocking.

you can check the coverage of the various networks online anyways - so use that to aid your decision.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:26 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Telstra are becoming far more competitive with their pricing and given the greater reach and reliability of their network it seems to be an easy decision to me.

Latest iPhone plans here - http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelst...on-july-30.xml
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:28 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bushcat
Hey Sniffy,

Take the iPhone 4 back to Orange and demand a refund and that they cancel your contract. I took mine back last week.... was a bit of a battle of nerves with the store manager but I won.

The iPhone (due to the design problem) is "not fit for purpose". By law you can return it within 28 days. However Stevie Jobs said on TV you can return iPhones by 30th September 2010 - admitting there was a technical problem.

Orange will not be able to hold you to the contract.

Better off getting a new one in Oz... if Appkle do have a hardware fic/replacement in the future it will be easier dealing with it where you bought the phone.

Good luck.
Yes I'd agree with the above suggestion.

Definitely much better to get a new phone over here...
  • Able to take it back should there be any issues. Much easier under a local warranty than some international one should it even exist.
  • Better option financially as you ought to be able to recoup all your pounds that you spent, and buying a new phone under a contract is generally more economical than buying outright and then attaching a contract.
  • You'll have more options when it comes to choosing suitable plans once you're here.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

as i have said - i agree telstra have the best coverage. but as that isnt an issue for me at present, and given thatwhat ws included for the same price with telstra was rubbish compared to vodafone it was an easy decision not to go with telstra.

they could well work out the best for others though.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Yes I'd agree with the above suggestion.

Definitely much better to get a new phone over here...
  • Better option financially as you ought to be able to recoup all your pounds that you spent, and buying a new phone under a contract is generally more economical than buying outright and then attaching a contract.
That's dependant on handset, so worth looking into!!

I've saved myself about £100 buy buying my iPhone outright last year, and using a sim only contract, plus I'm not tied into a contract for 24 months.

My Mother did similar, and saved herself £240!!!!!! (not iPhone, just a cheap phone) Contracts aren't always the cheaper option, so worth working it out before hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.