Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am moving to Perth

I am moving to Perth

Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:47 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 23
Pell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am moving to Perth

Hello guys,

I am moving to Perth in February. I will be doing a diploma course in view to obtain PR.

However, i have completed my degree. I just wanted to know how are things in Perth in terms of cost of living etc.

is it easy to find a decent job?
Pell is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:07 am
  #2  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,912
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

Originally Posted by Pell View Post
Hello guys,

I am moving to Perth in February. I will be doing a diploma course in view to obtain PR.

However, i have completed my degree. I just wanted to know how are things in Perth in terms of cost of living etc.

is it easy to find a decent job?
COL is similar to UK. Houses are 2nd most expensive after Sydney.

Plenty of jobs is nearly all fields. Jobs in mining and oil/gas pay very well.
Amazulu is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:47 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 23
Pell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

bump
Pell is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:09 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Streaks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 1,280
Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

Hi Pell, You've not given us much to go on. Where in Perth? what job? all these things will be different answers. Amazulou has given you a good all round answer, cost of living is not cheap.
S xx
Streaks is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:46 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 23
Pell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

Originally Posted by Streaks View Post
Hi Pell, You've not given us much to go on. Where in Perth? what job? all these things will be different answers. Amazulou has given you a good all round answer, cost of living is not cheap.
S xx
i will be studying at Cambridge college..ever heard..going to do a diploma in hotel management..

so i will be doing any job i get to pay rents
Pell is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:37 am
  #6  
A former regular of BE
 
worzel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Carramar, Perth
Posts: 6,241
worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
COL is similar to UK. Houses are 2nd most expensive after Sydney.

Plenty of jobs is nearly all fields. Jobs in mining and oil/gas pay very well.
Yep. Some things are cheaper, some more expensive. I would say very marginally cheaper here overall. It makes a big difference what GBP you have to bring with you, though. If you sold in an expensive area you should be cashed-up and have a small mortgage and hence more to spend on other things.

If you have the right trade you can earn a hell of a lot more here (engineers!).

Quality of life is the big difference. If you like being outdoors, less traffic, nicer attitudes and aren't so bothered about the arts / attending major sporting events or jetting off somewhere different every weekend Perth is a fantastic place to live and raise a family.
worzel is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:49 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 23
Pell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

the thing which bothers me most is can i get a decent job with my management degree or should i look for small jobs?
Pell is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:29 am
  #8  
A former regular of BE
 
worzel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Carramar, Perth
Posts: 6,241
worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

Originally Posted by Pell View Post
the thing which bothers me most is can i get a decent job with my management degree or should i look for small jobs?
You won't be out of work in Perth - the place is booming. It might not be ideal but with those sorts of skills you could probably earn $150K per year if you are willing to do FIFO to the mines. You may need to take a step down to prove yourself when you first arrive and you need the Aussie qualification for many jobs (you even need a qualification to serve coffee apparently). But if you are prepared for that you should be at the level you want within 12 months.
worzel is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:10 am
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 23
Pell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

Originally Posted by worzel View Post
You won't be out of work in Perth - the place is booming. It might not be ideal but with those sorts of skills you could probably earn $150K per year if you are willing to do FIFO to the mines. You may need to take a step down to prove yourself when you first arrive and you need the Aussie qualification for many jobs (you even need a qualification to serve coffee apparently). But if you are prepared for that you should be at the level you want within 12 months.
Cheers for the info..
Pell is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:11 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 23
Pell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

One more thing..how to proceed to find a job???
Pell is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:22 am
  #11  
A former regular of BE
 
worzel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Carramar, Perth
Posts: 6,241
worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

Originally Posted by Pell View Post
One more thing..how to proceed to find a job???
First of all - get here. Then call the agencies (Hays, Select, Manpower...)and make an appointment to see them. Then wait for them to arrange you interviews.

Try the Seek website too.
worzel is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.