Reload this Page >

I am moving to Perth

I am moving to Perth

Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Pell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am moving to Perth

Hello guys,

I am moving to Perth in February. I will be doing a diploma course in view to obtain PR.

However, i have completed my degree. I just wanted to know how are things in Perth in terms of cost of living etc.

is it easy to find a decent job?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am moving to Perth

Originally Posted by Pell
Hello guys,

I am moving to Perth in February. I will be doing a diploma course in view to obtain PR.

However, i have completed my degree. I just wanted to know how are things in Perth in terms of cost of living etc.

is it easy to find a decent job?
COL is similar to UK. Houses are 2nd most expensive after Sydney.

Plenty of jobs is nearly all fields. Jobs in mining and oil/gas pay very well.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:47 am
Just Joined

bump
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pell, You've not given us much to go on. Where in Perth? what job? all these things will be different answers. Amazulou has given you a good all round answer, cost of living is not cheap.
S xx
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Streaks
Hi Pell, You've not given us much to go on. Where in Perth? what job? all these things will be different answers. Amazulou has given you a good all round answer, cost of living is not cheap.
S xx
i will be studying at Cambridge college..ever heard..going to do a diploma in hotel management..

so i will be doing any job i get to pay rents
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:37 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
COL is similar to UK. Houses are 2nd most expensive after Sydney.

Plenty of jobs is nearly all fields. Jobs in mining and oil/gas pay very well.
Yep. Some things are cheaper, some more expensive. I would say very marginally cheaper here overall. It makes a big difference what GBP you have to bring with you, though. If you sold in an expensive area you should be cashed-up and have a small mortgage and hence more to spend on other things.

If you have the right trade you can earn a hell of a lot more here (engineers!).

Quality of life is the big difference. If you like being outdoors, less traffic, nicer attitudes and aren't so bothered about the arts / attending major sporting events or jetting off somewhere different every weekend Perth is a fantastic place to live and raise a family.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:49 am
Just Joined

the thing which bothers me most is can i get a decent job with my management degree or should i look for small jobs?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:29 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

the thing which bothers me most is can i get a decent job with my management degree or should i look for small jobs?
You won't be out of work in Perth - the place is booming. It might not be ideal but with those sorts of skills you could probably earn $150K per year if you are willing to do FIFO to the mines. You may need to take a step down to prove yourself when you first arrive and you need the Aussie qualification for many jobs (you even need a qualification to serve coffee apparently). But if you are prepared for that you should be at the level you want within 12 months.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by worzel
You won't be out of work in Perth - the place is booming. It might not be ideal but with those sorts of skills you could probably earn $150K per year if you are willing to do FIFO to the mines. You may need to take a step down to prove yourself when you first arrive and you need the Aussie qualification for many jobs (you even need a qualification to serve coffee apparently). But if you are prepared for that you should be at the level you want within 12 months.
Cheers for the info..
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:11 am
Just Joined

One more thing..how to proceed to find a job???
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:22 am
A former regular of BE

One more thing..how to proceed to find a job???
First of all - get here. Then call the agencies (Hays, Select, Manpower...)and make an appointment to see them. Then wait for them to arrange you interviews.

Try the Seek website too.