Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am mad re medicare surcharge

I am mad re medicare surcharge

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Angry I am mad re medicare surcharge

We are here on a 457 visa and my husband has MBF overseas cover private health insurance - which I might add costs a wad load more than the normal cover that perm residents have to have. Now I have just been told by the woman at MBF that the overseas cover does not exempt us from paying the 1% surcharge. So it would seem that the government is screwing us boths ends 1/ by making us have overseas cover which costs loads more because apparently we are not fully covered under medicare and then 2/ saying that the private health cover (overseas cover) isn't enough to exempt us from the surcharge and it seems that now we have to pay the 1% extra even though we don;t even have the benefit of full medicare and there is no way of getting the round it so you don't pay the surcharge (eg with private health care). Then to top it all off they charge you an extra $4500 pa for schooling even though you pay the same taxes as everyone else. I am furious. I knew about the schooling and had accepted that but the medicare surcharge has just tipped me over the edge! I think the government are just out for what they can get from us people on a 457 visa. I feel like going home right now I am so mad.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am mad re medicare surcharge

I'd hate to be around you if you ever had to claim on that medical insurance and discover "the gap" i.e. the gap between the "scheduled fee" and what Medicare covers and what your insurance pays you.

We foolishly used our private health policy when my daughter was hospitalised, cost us hundreds of dollars, should have kept my mouth shut and it would all have been free.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Before you give up and pay the Surcharge, have a chat with the Medicare Levy Exemption Certification Unit on 1300 300 271 to establish whether you may be exempt from paying the Medicare Levy and the Surcharge.

I believe they are in Hobart.

I'm not hopeful, but it is worth making the call to be absolutely sure.

Best regards.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Thanks for that advice and number - I will give them a call but won't hold my breath.
I bet Oz citizens temporarly resident in the UK don't get treated like this - at least I hope not.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:43 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

So you say you dont get the full benefit of Medicare. So I presume you do/could get some if you were to get sick. Yeah it sucks paying taxes but if no one did..............
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:51 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We are here on a 457 visa and my husband has MBF overseas cover private health insurance - which I might add costs a wad load more than the normal cover that perm residents have to have. Now I have just been told by the woman at MBF that the overseas cover does not exempt us from paying the 1% surcharge. So it would seem that the government is screwing us boths ends 1/ by making us have overseas cover which costs loads more because apparently we are not fully covered under medicare and then 2/ saying that the private health cover (overseas cover) isn't enough to exempt us from the surcharge and it seems that now we have to pay the 1% extra even though we don;t even have the benefit of full medicare and there is no way of getting the round it so you don't pay the surcharge (eg with private health care). Then to top it all off they charge you an extra $4500 pa for schooling even though you pay the same taxes as everyone else. I am furious. I knew about the schooling and had accepted that but the medicare surcharge has just tipped me over the edge! I think the government are just out for what they can get from us people on a 457 visa. I feel like going home right now I am so mad.
go home then!!!!! If ya dont like it then dont complain...all the info is there for all to see b4 they make the move
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:52 pm
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by biggy
go home then!!!!! If ya dont like it then dont complain...all the info is there for all to see b4 they make the move
I am being ripped off,,,I pay 8% and I was born here??????
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:59 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cedar cottage
I am being ripped off,,,I pay 8% and I was born here??????
Paying 8% OF what FOR what?

Graham
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. None of this is secret. Become a PR and then no worries. Many others on 457s have.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah because we all read the smallprint on everything don't we? I'm sure most people would be surprised at the level of financial demand on 457 visa holders. We do pay the same tax as permanent residents remember, and have no benefits. Just getting PR is oh so simple isn't it? It generally takes 2 years from arrival.
I didn't realise that you weren't allowed to complain on this forum, but was there really any need to be so rude to the original poster?
Response like yours make people wary of asking for advice or saying anything that can be perceived as negative and therefore we don't get a very balanced view. I thought the point of this forum was to get support and draw on other people's experiences not just abuse one another.

Last edited by yanH; Jun 23rd 2007 at 6:58 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:06 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep being on a 457 can be frustrating! Are you applying for PR?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Yep being on a 457 can be frustrating! Are you applying for PR?
Yes we are. Husband's work are doing it for us at the moment in a bid to avoid another year of school fees for 4 kids!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:17 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
Yes we are. Husband's work are doing it for us at the moment in a bid to avoid another year of school fees for 4 kids!
wow 4 kids! Thats a lotta money! Thankfully we got our PR 3 months after arriving and got most of our fees back.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
wow 4 kids! Thats a lotta money! Thankfully we got our PR 3 months after arriving and got most of our fees back.
Tell me about it Anybody want to buy one? They're all house trained and it'd make our house hunting a lot easier as well
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by yanH
Tell me about it Anybody want to buy one? They're all house trained and it'd make our house hunting a lot easier as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.