Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I am a freelancer - does my experience count ?

I am a freelancer - does my experience count ?

Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

mrgreycells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am a freelancer - does my experience count ?

Hey,

I am a freelance software developer, i hold an engineering degree, and have been working on my own on IT projects for the past one year.

I was wondering how I will be assesed?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:49 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Engineering degree holders get 60 points. What's your problem?

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...quirements.htm

Check out 1121i.pdf
Old Jul 28th 2004, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

For freelancers and self employed ...you would need to draw up a statutory declaration about all the skills,qualifications, descriptions,tools you would have used and got in your career.
This gets lodged with other stuff for TRA assessments

This too would need to be signed by a solicitor etc.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:04 am
Just Joined

mrgreycells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1119.pdf says you need 12 months experience to go along with 60 points

thanks a lot for your replies

"if your nominated occupation is worth 60 points you must provide paid work experience for atleast 12 of 18 months ...before applying.... " ... thats what i was reffering to

can you please give me some pointer to where i can find further info on the "statutory declaration" etc i would need to provide for my work experience as a freelancer
Old Jul 28th 2004, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Have you got an immigration agent working on your behalf?He should give you a skeleton framewrok to awork on....

Or are you just doing research before commiting to one?

Statutory Decs are basically SUPER DUPER CVs which need to be very detailed, covering every aspect of your work experience.

for example..in my case, I do civil engineering and surveying...needed to state what instrument and make of instrument i was operating and the like...It ended up 3 pages long!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He's an engineer not a tradesman - TRA rules and processes don't apply to other skill assessing authorities.

If he has a Washington/Sydney Accord accredited degree he can get assessed fairly easily by IEAUST. Otherwise he needs to do a CDR.

DIMIA will accept IT work experience with an engineering assessment as long as it's properly evidenced - however, it's not clear whether one can get 10 points with work experience different to nominated occupation - 5 may be the max.

Obviously all the usual DIMIA rules about time periods (usually 12 months in the last 18 for basic requirements, and 3 years in the last 4 for points) must be observed.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Muzza04
For freelancers and self employed ...you would need to draw up a statutory declaration about all the skills,qualifications, descriptions,tools you would have used and got in your career.
This gets lodged with other stuff for TRA assessments

This too would need to be signed by a solicitor etc.