Reload this Page >

I am a B,Husband is an A

I am a B,Husband is an A

Old Oct 4th 2004, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Alan101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am a B,Husband is an A

hello there, sorry for being so negative
Today we had our medicals( shock horror gasp requested pre July applicant).
the Dr was like Dr Crippen,did not say good morning or was particulary pleasant in his manner (considering he was getting £300.00.)he did not even ask any questions regarding previous ops.
I believe that 8 people had thier medicals this morning, you would have thought he would have been a little more happier at the thought of earning £800 pounds for a mornings work!!!!!!!
will it have any detrimental effect getting a B as the primary applicant on Visa
Husband got the A ?(he is the skilled spouse).
The reason I got a B was that my body mass index is 1 point above the recomended level,now I am worried that we will not get in because I am over weight.
I should add that although I am over weight, I am fit, I salsa Dance three times a week and visit the gym daily for 30-45 minutes 5 days a week, my job is a physical job I just can not seem to shed any weight.
So were as before I was worried about not getting Med request now all I am worried about is not getting in because I am over weight!!!!!
I don't suppose the worrying will ever stop untill we finally have the visa in the passport.
If anybody has any feedback on the outcome of a b on their medicals any info would be appreciated
Regards Dawn and Alan
Old Oct 4th 2004, 7:27 pm
sula

Default Re: I am a B,Husband is an A

Originally Posted by Alan101
the Dr was like Dr Crippen,did not say good morning or was particulary pleasant in his manner (considering he was getting £300.00.)he did not even ask any questions regarding previous ops.
I believe that 8 people had thier medicals this morning, you would have thought he would have been a little more happier at the thought of earning £800 pounds for a mornings work!!!!!!!
will it have any detrimental effect getting a B as the primary applicant on Visa
The reason I got a B was that my body mass index is 1 point above the recomended level,now I am worried that we will not get in because I am over weight.
I should add that although I am over weight, I am fit, I salsa Dance three times a week and visit the gym daily for 30-45 minutes 5 days a week, my job is a physical job I just can not seem to shed any weight.
So were as before I was worried about not getting Med request now all I am worried about is not getting in because I am over weight!!!!!
I don't suppose the worrying will ever stop untill we finally have the visa in the passport.
If anybody has any feedback on the outcome of a b on their medicals any info would be appreciated
Regards Dawn and Alan
Hi Dawn,
I don't know if I was classed as an A or B after I had my medical but I was definitely over weight and got through! I'm sure you will be fine. You sound much fitter than me!
Good luck!
Sula

Old Oct 4th 2004, 7:51 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Theres been quite a few on the site had a "B" for the meds but I can't remember anyone not getting in because of it.
I know it won't stop you worrying but I doubt very much if it will affect your application.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 3:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Theres been quite a few on the site had a "B" for the meds but I can't remember anyone not getting in because of it.
I know it won't stop you worrying but I doubt very much if it will affect your application.
Other than possibly having only 6 months to validate visas, it's not likely to make much difference.

Jeremy
Old Oct 5th 2004, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

One point over the index isn't much is it?? I was blissfully unaware of my BMI for the medical and I'm sure to be more than 1 point over because of my love of chocolate and wine.....and they still let me in too.

If you were clinically obese it would be another matter, but you sound healthy to me.....they just don't want you to be a burdon on the health system. I would say try not to worry......but I know that may be in vain
Old Oct 5th 2004, 9:08 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dawn,

Some of these threads may be helpful...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=category

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...cal+overweight

They relate to the medicals and to being Cat B or concerns about being overweight. Most people seem to get through without problems.

I'll be Cat B because of asthma and hypothyroidism. I'm hoping it will simply mean a delay while the forms are forwarded to the medical officer for checking.

By the way, have you ever had your thyroid tested? If you're having trouble shifting the weight despite the amount of exercise you do, it could be a factor.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:47 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM
I have just read all of the other links, does anyone know of anyone recently that has been turned down for being over weight... I had a baby 4 months ago, was over weight anyway, but think I could be obese now... still have baby wieght to drop... help// :scared: :scared: :scared:

From my understanding it is less the weight factor and more the associated problems, in particular blood pressure.

If you are seriously overweight you may have problems. I don't know of anyone being turned down because of their weight but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If you have time before you medical then start working on losing some weight now if you can - at least then you can show that you are making the effort.

You may want to consult an agent if you think it could be a real problem. The Aus Govt are concerned with conditions that will cost a lot to treat both now and in the future. As you are no doubt aware, being overweight carries with it other health implications such as diabetes which I'd imagine they'd be interested in avoiding.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Thank-you..!!

fingers crossed... cabbage soup here I come!!
Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:06 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Thank-you..!!

fingers crossed... cabbage soup here I come!!

Well, good luck with it! At least you have an exciting goal to aim for, which might help.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:14 am
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Hi
I don't think you need to worry about that much.
I do have a question for you. What's your time line since you mentioned pre july I got curious

Badri
Old Oct 5th 2004, 4:23 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan101
Regards Dawn and Alan
OMG, 1 point over on BMI. No hope for me then. Have been on atkins since April and have only managed to lose 2 stone. Still about 8lbs to go before I'm at what is classed as a healthy weight for my height. Have swapped from atkins now as I'm worried about long term effect on my health, have now gone on You Are What You Eat in the hope of perhaps dropping another few lbs before Monday. It makes me mad that someone can use an out of date measuring technique to decide whether you are over weight or not. Like you I'm healthy, do some exercise and am a size 14 but still regarded as being over weight. OOOHHHH make my blood boil.
Sarah
Old Oct 6th 2004, 12:51 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by teach
OMG, 1 point over on BMI. No hope for me then. Have been on atkins since April and have only managed to lose 2 stone. Still about 8lbs to go before I'm at what is classed as a healthy weight for my height. Have swapped from atkins now as I'm worried about long term effect on my health, have now gone on You Are What You Eat in the hope of perhaps dropping another few lbs before Monday. It makes me mad that someone can use an out of date measuring technique to decide whether you are over weight or not. Like you I'm healthy, do some exercise and am a size 14 but still regarded as being over weight. OOOHHHH make my blood boil.
Sarah
Hello,

Just in case there are some terminology problems here; and assuming the rules are still the same as when I did my medical last year.

You get a Category A for being, for what the BMI call, normal (20-25) and overweight (25-30). You get Category B for being 30 or above. Not sure what happens if you are below 20.

Regards
Alistair
Old Oct 6th 2004, 12:54 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Not sure what happens if you are below 20.
Yikes! Don't give me anything else to worry about! I'm below 20. I doubt it figures though since there are less associated health problems with being underweight than overweight (I'm thinking of high BP, heart disease, diabetes etc).
Old Oct 6th 2004, 1:01 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bundy
Yikes! Don't give me anything else to worry about! I'm below 20. I doubt it figures though since there are less associated health problems with being underweight than overweight (I'm thinking of high BP, heart disease, diabetes etc).
Bend your knees slightly when you have your height measured; this will raise your BMI score. Maybe you can practise it before the medical.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 6th 2004, 1:03 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Bend your knees slightly when you have your height measured; this will raise your BMI score. Maybe you can practise it before the medical.

Cheers
Alistair

.....or eat more junk......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.