Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hutt River Province

Hutt River Province

Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:53 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Hutt River Province

Crazy question but we were just chatting tonight and didn't know what the case would be with this.

Hutt River Province is a place up the road from Geraldton where a farmer succeded his land from Australia back in the 1970 (I think) They

They are an Independant Sovereign State so in theory if you enter Hutt River you are infact leaving Australia so what is to stop people who are on an ETA which from memory is valid for a year multiple visits but each visit must be 3 months or less popping to Hutt River then re entering Australia to start a fresh 3 months.

There is no pasport control to enter Australia from Hutt River so I can see that you couldn't actually do it but in theory should it be possible????
Or would a Hutt River stamp which you get on entry to Hutt river be enough to prove that you did infact leave Australia and allow you another 3 months.

Also what is to stop you coming to Australia on holiday and then becoming a resident or even citizen (which you can buy for a price) of Hutt River, would you then be allowed to stay in Hutt River enter Australia to go shopping and the sort???

I know this all seems a little bit crazy but after a few beers the topic of conversation round here does get a little odd at times and none of us could see why you couldnt do the above.

Kala
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:24 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Hutt River Province

Heres the website for the Hutt River Province:

www.hutt-river-province.com/

Also

http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dim...ts/s833528.htm

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 7th 2005 at 4:33 pm.

Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Crazy question but we were just chatting tonight and didn't know what the case would be with this.

Hutt River Province is a place up the road from Geraldton where a farmer succeded his land from Australia back in the 1970 (I think) They

They are an Independant Sovereign State so in theory if you enter Hutt River you are infact leaving Australia so what is to stop people who are on an ETA which from memory is valid for a year multiple visits but each visit must be 3 months or less popping to Hutt River then re entering Australia to start a fresh 3 months.

There is no pasport control to enter Australia from Hutt River so I can see that you couldn't actually do it but in theory should it be possible????
Or would a Hutt River stamp which you get on entry to Hutt river be enough to prove that you did infact leave Australia and allow you another 3 months.

Also what is to stop you coming to Australia on holiday and then becoming a resident or even citizen (which you can buy for a price) of Hutt River, would you then be allowed to stay in Hutt River enter Australia to go shopping and the sort???

I know this all seems a little bit crazy but after a few beers the topic of conversation round here does get a little odd at times and none of us could see why you couldnt do the above.

Kala
Given that no goverment in the world recognises Hutt River's independence and the Australian Government's current position on the Province is that it is nothing more than a private enterprise operating under a business name, I shouldn't think your plan will work !!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee

Simple answer. The so-called 'Hutt River Province' is *not* an independent sovereign state. It is simply a private property on Australian soil and part of the state of Western Australia.

Longer answer. From:
http://www.ahc-ottawa.org/faq/index.html

---------

Q. I have received correspondence from the Hutt River province in Australia. Is it really an independent province?

A. Australian authorities have cautioned that the region in question is private property on the Australian mainland and has no other standing. The Attorney-General’s Office of the Australian Federal Government has stated:

The Australian Government does not recognize the "Hutt River Province", legally or in any other way.

The area of land which is described as the "Hutt River Province" is a privately owned wheat-growing property on the Hutt River, north of Geraldton in the State of Western Australia. It has no special status. It has no separate sovereignty and remains subject to the Australian Constitution and the laws of Australia.

Following from its policy of not recognizing the "Hutt River Province", the Australian Government does not recognize the "Royal Titles" nor titles of office, such as "Head of State", "Stateminister" and "Minister for Foreign Affairs" assumed by the family owning the property, nor the use of terms such as "Consulates" and "Principality" in relation the "Hutt River Province". Documents purporting to be "passports" issued by the "Hutt River Province" are not recognized as valid travel documents by the Australian Government.

---------

No other sovereign government recognises the 'Hutt River Province' either, as far as I am aware.

In many other countries, someone who tried a stunt like this would get far sterner treatment.

Jeremy
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:31 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, this is hilarious!!!
Can't believe I've never heard about this before! lol
Just asked around in the office, they've all heard of it, but know it isn't official.

ha ha