Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

huntsman already

huntsman already

Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: huntsman already

So noone is thinking of going to the rain forests in South America then?
Apparently the largest spiders are there and are about the size of a dinner plate.Can you imagine :scared:
Old Aug 24th 2004, 10:29 pm
Badge

Huntsmen are nowhere near as scary as you think. I was disappointed when I first saw one. I thought they would be like Tarantulas. Even the big ones seem smaller than I thought.

BM

Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

But don't they eat other nasties? Much prefer them (with painful bite) to others with potentially lethal bite?

Originally Posted by Sue2
TUPPERWARE CONTAINERS!!!
There is no way I am going to try to take a huntsman out of my house alive I`m afraid it will have to die!!
When we were in Aus we had a very large spider in our room have know idea what it was (it was large and quite hairy) some bloke came to the rescue stuned it with hairspray and threw a towel over it and jumped on it until it was very flat!!!
They do really jump :scared: I cant be trying to catch them.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:29 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Huntsmen are nowhere near as scary as you think. I was disappointed when I first saw one. I thought they would be like Tarantulas. Even the big ones seem smaller than I thought.

BM
Yeah, but that was only a wee baby mate, and it was VERY swiftly delt with by my plumbers steel toe cap if i remember rightly. Oh and it was outside, which never seems as scary as in your bedroom :scared:
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:46 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by hevs
Yeah, but that was only a wee baby mate, and it was VERY swiftly delt with by my plumbers steel toe cap if i remember rightly. Oh and it was outside, which never seems as scary as in your bedroom :scared:
I saw one in NSW years ago. But yours was the first one I saw in VIC. Reminds me must Mortein the new house next week. The wife has not yet seen a spider and if you girls are all the same, I want to maintain that situation..

Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:50 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I have been here 6 months and so far have seen 1 huntsman outside and in the first rental place we had I saw 2 white tails.

The white tails were eliminated by my trainer. I was a little freaked out but they are tiny.

Not seen a red back well apart from at Melbourne Zoo.

In the house we have bought touch wood we have had no spiders (that we have seen) so far. It really is not a big issue any more. But you watch it after typing this I will find one in the house and come on here freaked out!!

Jo
Old Aug 25th 2004, 12:38 am
Badge

I was fascinated by my first female white tail which appeared the day after my first house Huntsman. Morteining the house the next day seemed to cure this episode - not a single spider since.

It was quite a ''smart'' spider, not all legs etc but with a curious ''bullet'' body. I had a bit of time winding it up then flushed it down the toilet.

BM

Old Aug 25th 2004, 2:30 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Get off my poor spider you
All I'm reading here, is spray the things. Bunch of murders the lot of you.

Huntsmen don't need to be killed. They will leave you alone of you leave them alone. They keep the pests down. It takes a lot for one to bite you. I can put my hand right next to one and it will either just stay there, or scuttle off away from me.

I get them the most in the summer months, not many in winter at all. we've currently got two in the house that come out in the evening. One sits in the kitchen, pretty small one that is, the other one which is massive ( has a leg span of the size of my hand) sits in the hall (on the walls)

If I see him tonight I'll take a pic of it. Haven't seen him for a few days now.. perhaps my cats have murdered him.They keep eating the poor spiders.

Just because they look big and ugly to some there is no reason to kill them - Hell If I did that, I'd go and murder Mark Latham .. now have you seen him? That is one scary looking thing !
Old Aug 25th 2004, 5:21 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Yeah I agree, the Huntman spideys are pretty cool. A good spider to help you get over any spider fears maybe.

How big are white tails though? Was just running up the stairs and there was a diddy little spider with some white on its butt just stood in the middle of the stair. Nearly dislocated my knee avoidin the cocky sod! Was probably just some harmless little thing though.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 5:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by loose
Yeah I agree, the Huntman spideys are pretty cool. A good spider to help you get over any spider fears maybe.

How big are white tails though? Was just running up the stairs and there was a diddy little spider with some white on its butt just stood in the middle of the stair. Nearly dislocated my knee avoidin the cocky sod! Was probably just some harmless little thing though.
I've never seen a white tail loose, ask renith, His little daughter apparently got bitten one a while back. I think they are pretty small. They have been linked to necrosis in the past, but a lot of people think this is now totally wrong.
I tend to just have Huntsmen, wolf and red backs, plus the usual tiny jumping ones and daddy long legs etc. The only ones I kill are the redbacks because they are always where I tend to may put my hands when not looking ( usually I have them and their webs in my garage on the inside of the metal garage door, and boxes.. but haven't seen any at all in my new house.. all other homes I've had them) . The rest , like the wolf spiders I just chuck outside unharmed , except the huntsmen - I love them
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:15 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
They keep the pests down.
Yeah, by using a flippin' arm lock, the bullies (think about it, they have 8 to choose from!!!)

D D
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Huntsmen apparently eat cockroaches. So they are welcome in my house any time!!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Huntsmen apparently eat cockroaches. So they are welcome in my house any time!!
Ditto. I like them. Quick buggers as well.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Huntsman really are fine. They rarely, if ever bite and they do keep down the other nasties.

What gives me the shivers is the theory that spiders always travel in pairs. You go through all the shenanigans to capture/kill the genuinely dangerous one, and then you have to think "Omygod, where's the other one!"
Old Aug 25th 2004, 10:28 pm
b.uk

b.uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: huntsman already

[QUOTE=jensteve]Well thats it I've just moved to a spider infested city called Perth!! :scared:

You didn't have to go to Perth for spiders, some poor woman in Newcastle-under-Lyme in the UK has had up to 400 of them in her house recently! It is believed a female Huntsman was hidden among the bananas she bought from her local Asda. The mummy Huntsman had her egg sac with her...overflowing with kiddie Huntsman just waiting to pop out. Pest controllers have been called in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.