British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   huntsman already (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/huntsman-already-250704/)

jensteve Aug 24th 2004 1:44 pm

huntsman already

Well thats it I've just moved to a spider infested city called Perth!! :scared:
4 days into our new life and hubby gets a knock on the bedroom door from his brother asking ever so nicely can he give him a hand with something. Thinking as he was on his way to work it had to be paint pots or something up hubby got, he then crawled back into bed a few minutes later saying "I want to go home" :eek:
Why? his brother is scared to death of spiders and a huntsman was eyeing his breakfast up about to apparently jump on him. Poor hubby had to catch this monster from hell and proceded to put it in a clear container to freak me out when I fell out of bed. It was rather large and we where told it was a baby, personally it didn't look cute to me! :(
Brother assures me thats only the second in 8 years so hopefully I don't have to see another one for many more years but I think I will.
Jenny and Steve spider catcher

philip&claire Aug 24th 2004 1:49 pm

Re: huntsman already

You telling me these things JUMP? :scared:

jensteve Aug 24th 2004 1:51 pm

:scared: :scared: So we are told!!! cringe :scared: :scared:

PartialtoPerth Aug 24th 2004 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve
4 days into our new life and hubby gets a knock on the bedroom door from his brother asking ever so nicely can he give him a hand with something. Thinking as he was on his way to work it had to be paint pots or something up hubby got, he then crawled back into bed a few minutes later saying "I want to go home" :eek:
Why? his brother is scared to death of spiders and a huntsman was eyeing his breakfast up about to apparently jump on him. Poor hubby had to catch

Errm ... just where in Perth are you?

philip&claire Aug 24th 2004 1:55 pm

Have told hubby that he'll come home from work & there'll be several plastic tupperware containers dotted about the floor, under each one will be a huge jumping spider :scared: yuk :scared:

lucyb Aug 24th 2004 1:56 pm

OH. MY. GOD! :eek:

jensteve Aug 24th 2004 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PartialtoPerth
Errm ... just where in Perth are you?

Terrified of going to bed in Ocean Reef!!! stick and tupperware at the ready
Jenny

philip&claire Aug 24th 2004 2:01 pm

I have this mental image of you pulling back the sheets at night to check there's not one lurking in your bed....do you???

whisky Aug 24th 2004 2:01 pm

I have found that most of the blighters have a big jump on them here.

I nearly had a fit the other day, I had just finished having a shower, and got the towel, looked down and a spider was on my leg. :eek: Had the shakes for a while after that. That has happened to me twice now in the shower.
As you can imagine, I check the towel both sides before I put it anywhere near me.

I remember ages ago, someone saying that they like to go in damp places, and not to let your kids just throw their clothes on the floor. As many times as i have told my daughter and keep picking things up behind her, it is only me that keeps getting picked on. :eek: :eek:

Whisky

possoms Aug 24th 2004 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve
Why? his brother is scared to death of spiders and a huntsman was eyeing his breakfast up about to apparently jump on him. Poor hubby had to catch this monster from hell and proceded to put it in a clear container to freak me out when I fell out of bed. It was rather large and we where told it was a baby, personally it didn't look cute to me! :(
Brother assures me thats only the second in 8 years so hopefully I don't have to see another one for many more years but I think I will.
Jenny and Steve spider catcher

At least they can't harm you its the white tips you've got to look out for they are very poisonous saw loads of em when i was in perth. :(

Siren & Brian Aug 24th 2004 2:02 pm

We are in Perth as well and as yet the only reeaaaally creepy spider I saw was an orb spider which Mr. Siren threw into the neighbour's yard (as mentioned before - we don't like them much :D )

Now I will have to walk around with my hands over my eyes because I am FREAKING OUT at the thought of a huntsman... this is the only one that scares me.

So far, every person I've spoken to has had things to say like...
"We've only see one in 11 years (8 years, 12 years whatever)"

I just want to know when my time is coming so I can skip it :D

I feel for ya Jen ;)

Siren

philip&claire Aug 24th 2004 2:05 pm

Now hang on.......I'm being told quite often by family members who live in perth, that as long as you "spray" regulary, these 8 legged things will be kept at bay. Now I understand that I'm to be sharing my shower with a spider :scared:

jensteve Aug 24th 2004 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by philip&claire
Now hang on.......I'm being told quite often by family members who live in perth, that as long as you "spray" regulary, these 8 legged things will be kept at bay. Now I understand that I'm to be sharing my shower with a spider :scared:

This is the question, if your in the shower grab the towel and find a beasty on you do you
a) swatt it off your leg, get dressed and then deal with sid
b) run starkers out the shower, probably knocking yourself unconcious on the doorframe, and if still conscious screaming.
Personally I choked at the idea of towel in shower and would go for option b.
and yes I will now be checking towels and bedding more often.
Jenny

possoms Aug 24th 2004 2:18 pm

Now I will have to walk around with my hands over my eyes because I am FREAKING OUT at the thought of a huntsman... this is the only one that scares me.

Siren[/QUOTE]

Hi

I saw a huntsman in Exmouth WA it petrified me was about the size of a tea plate no lie :( since returrning home i'm trying to get over my fear of spiders (always been scared) there is a big one currently living in my bathroom and i'm practising how long i can stay in the room with it to try and get used to them for when we get over there. We are going to Tas I believe they've got the lot there :(

Kay

PartialtoPerth Aug 24th 2004 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by whisky
I remember ages ago, someone saying that they like to go in damp places, and not to let your kids just throw their clothes on the floor.

Are there more of them due to the rainy weather?

Have just crossed Ocean Reef off my list of suburbs to settle in ... :(