Hunting QLD

Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hunting QLD

I have been curious about trying hunting here in QLD. Does anyone know what a good entry point would be?

I see that I cannot buy a gun without a club or legitimate purpose. Is this likely to cause a problem? I have recently moved from Logan to the North West (Ferny Grove) so I don't live inner city any more.

I have done a little bit of shooting in the states but I'm a total novice (M16A2, Shotgun, Baretta). It seems logical that the next part of my QLD adventure is to add onto fishing to go hunting and do the environment a service and fill the freezer whilst I'm at it.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 9:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hunting QLD

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I have been curious about trying hunting here in QLD. Does anyone know what a good entry point would be?

I see that I cannot buy a gun without a club or legitimate purpose. Is this likely to cause a problem? I have recently moved from Logan to the North West (Ferny Grove) so I don't live inner city any more.

I have done a little bit of shooting in the states but I'm a total novice (M16A2, Shotgun, Baretta). It seems logical that the next part of my QLD adventure is to add onto fishing to go hunting and do the environment a service and fill the freezer whilst I'm at it.

Any advice appreciated.
My advice is if you want to do the environment a service, pick up litter in the bush.

You don't need a gun to have an adventure.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My advice is if you want to do the environment a service, pick up litter in the bush.

I already do I carry a bin bag with me and pick up litter when I see it.

You don't need a gun to have an adventure but it sure helps.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 9:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
True, but it makes it a whole lot more fun

Lock and load
Old Dec 27th 2015, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
True, but it makes it a whole lot more fun

Lock and load
Are you a hunting man?
Old Dec 28th 2015, 1:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a hunting man?
Not really. I've done a bit but not that much into it

I have no moral opposition to properly regulated hunting, it's just something that doesn't really interest me

There's plenty out there that needs killing. If you do start, be sure to off a fox for me - I hate those c***s

I do like guns though - I've often thought that I should have been born in the Southern US!

Last edited by Amazulu; Dec 28th 2015 at 3:09 am.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 10:41 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I have been curious about trying hunting here in QLD. Does anyone know what a good entry point would be? I hope you like kangaroo or wild pig....oh, and don't forget that you will need the express permission of the land owner before you start your field trip.

Any advice appreciated.

I am assuming that you want a rifle not a pistol. I think hunting would come under recreational shooting.....

I know alot of people that do recreational shooting are not members of a rifle club and still have weapons and a licence. Handguns would probably be a different matter.
Key requirements: https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...ceApplication/

"A Firearms Licence is the most common type of licence within Queensland. It allows possession and use of single shot/manual repeating rifles and shotguns (Category A & B) most commonly for:Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns (Category C & D) may also be possessed under a Firearms Licence for some genuine reasons, however sufficient evidence must be provided to justify the need to possess such firearms."
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...nces/firearms/

M16 and other automatic weapons are a big no-no......

Last edited by The Bloke; Dec 29th 2015 at 10:44 am.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I am assuming that you want a rifle not a pistol. I think hunting would come under recreational shooting.....

I know alot of people that do recreational shooting are not members of a rifle club and still have weapons and a licence. Handguns would probably be a different matter.
Key requirements: https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...ceApplication/

"A Firearms Licence is the most common type of licence within Queensland. It allows possession and use of single shot/manual repeating rifles and shotguns (Category A & B) most commonly for:Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns (Category C & D) may also be possessed under a Firearms Licence for some genuine reasons, however sufficient evidence must be provided to justify the need to possess such firearms."
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...nces/firearms/

M16 and other automatic weapons are a big no-no......
Zero interest in a handgun in fact I have never felt very comfortable firing a handgun. Rifles however I am a lot more comfortable with and they are useful for hunting.

Gaining access to land is increasingly becoming difficult I've read. Perhaps Australia is slowly being locked down?
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking up archery and crossbow clubs. It seems to be a bit of a thing here to go hog hunting with a crossbow or recurve bow.

Oh, and there's way more skill than shooting a gun
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by denzil73
Try looking up archery and crossbow clubs. It seems to be a bit of a thing here to go hog hunting with a crossbow or recurve bow.

Oh, and there's way more skill than shooting a gun
I've looked into that but to tell the truth the amount of skill involved sort of puts me off. Its pretty cool if you are good at it though. I love watching the stalking videos on youtube.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 3:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked into that but to tell the truth the amount of skill involved sort of puts me off. Its pretty cool if you are good at it though. I love watching the stalking videos on youtube.
In NSW trying to get any sort of hunting authorisation off the ground is very difficult, but not impossible. It depends upon what and where you are hunting. If it's non indigenous animals on private land, then you only need a general licence, if you want to hunt on public land, then you will need a Restricted licence, and for this you need to complete a mandatory course in all aspects of hunting, and become a member of registered hunting organisation. I have, of course, no idea if this is the same in QLD.

The benefit of the hunting organisations is that they use the membership fees to buy up land and then stock them - usually with boar and goats.

Good luck with it. A good shoot is an excellent pass time, even if you don't get anything. I thoroughly enjoyed the Boxing Day shoot this year - though unfortunately I couldn't bring any birds back with me...

S