hunter valley

Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:55 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default hunter valley

Hi All
I would like to take a wine tasting trip up to the Hunter valley (I think thats the right place) but haven't got a clue where to start. I have looked on line at different websites offering tours but would like to ask people's opinions on how they have done the tour. First I thought about driving up and doing a tour from there but then thought mmmm no wine tasting for me and whats the point in that, so shall either do a bus tour or even get the train.
Any help and advice would be great.
Thanks alot.
Lisa
xxxx
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hunter valley

Sorry can't help you on the tour....because I always end up driving.

What will be noticable if you have ever been to the likes of the south of France or the Rheine Valley in Germany is the almost complete lack of vines in most of the fields in the Hunter. Most of the 'vineyards' have a few vines at the front, but then the fields at the back are completely empty.

Sure there are a few very good producers there, but as we found out when we started asking a few direct questions, much of the wine they sell is produced in the Hunter but from grapes that are shipped in from SA and other areas. Its simply impossible to produce the amount of wine they claim comes from teh Hunter from the vines that are actually grown there.

Sorry to disappoint, but its a bit of a con. Its a lovely area and a good day out though
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:42 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Sorry can't help you on the tour....because I always end up driving.

What will be noticable if you have ever been to the likes of the south of France or the Rheine Valley in Germany is the almost complete lack of vines in most of the fields in the Hunter. Most of the 'vineyards' have a few vines at the front, but then the fields at the back are completely empty.

Sure there are a few very good producers there, but as we found out when we started asking a few direct questions, much of the wine they sell is produced in the Hunter but from grapes that are shipped in from SA and other areas. Its simply impossible to produce the amount of wine they claim comes from teh Hunter from the vines that are actually grown there.

Sorry to disappoint, but its a bit of a con. Its a lovely area and a good day out though

Thanks for your reply but I'm not bothered about looking at any vines i just want to taste the wines LOL. I've also seen a tour that does cheese and chocolate tasting in with the wine tasting tour anyone done this aswell as it sound nice.
I really want to go just to show my Mum (who is visiting from uk with her partner) and to give us something to do and thought mmm wine tasting goooood.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

I love wine tours, you don't have to worry about driving and you learn a bit more that way too. I did one in the Hunter Valley with the YHA which was great, but am sure they are all fairly similar. I was up there on the weekend and Iron Gate vineyards does a sweet shiraz which is specially made to go with chocolate and is fantastic.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about driving, there are lots of bus tours/shuttle buses etc that will allow to you see a few wineries & drink at the same time, then drop you back in Cessnock/Pokolbin/Maitland. Then you've got the choice of staying in a B&B there, or public transporting it back home - or to newcastle/sydney for the evening. OR there are some hotels out amongst the vineyards, although I imagine the pricetag would match the gorgeous location.
It's a fun day out though, I've done it a few times now (live there! ) and it's not wearing off yet! (Just remember to budget for buying a few bottles along the way!)
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:44 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Hi All
I would like to take a wine tasting trip up to the Hunter valley (I think thats the right place) but haven't got a clue where to start. I have looked on line at different websites offering tours but would like to ask people's opinions on how they have done the tour. First I thought about driving up and doing a tour from there but then thought mmmm no wine tasting for me and whats the point in that, so shall either do a bus tour or even get the train.
Any help and advice would be great.
Thanks alot.
Lisa
xxxx
have a look at this website.......

http://www.huntertourist.com.au/index.html

there are a few of us up here, so if you have any more questions, ask away.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:09 am
Lisa

Thanks alot for all your replys am looking at some sites and checking train times.