British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Huge Electrical Storm (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/huge-electrical-storm-485938/)

Timber Floor Au Oct 8th 2007 7:53 am

Huge Electrical Storm

Theres a huge electrical storm, firing in from Ipswich Esk and Toowoomba way towards Brizzy.

BOM are saying hailstones, very high winds are likely.

The light show is AWESOME.

Get that CAR under cover NOW !

emmyjc1 Oct 8th 2007 7:59 am

Re: Huge Electrical Storm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5399953)
Theres a huge electrical storm, firing in from Ipswich Esk and Toowoomba way towards Brizzy.

Just done it! heres a page about last night
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...ead-story.html

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 8th 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5399953)

Just sat on my balcony watching it roll in at the moment! This is gonna be a goodun! :eek:

emmyjc1 Oct 8th 2007 8:03 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5399968)
Just sat on my balcony watching it roll in at the moment! This is gonna be a goodun! :eek:

Im scared!

Pollyana Oct 8th 2007 8:03 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5399968)

Its gonna be big, and there will be more to come - BoM reckon Wednesday will be quiet but the other nights could be pretty nasty.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 8th 2007 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5399978)
Its gonna be big, and there will be more to come - BoM reckon Wednesday will be quiet but the other nights could be pretty nasty.

Maaan! This is wicked! Never seen lightning like this in my life!! :thumbsup:
You certainly start to appreciate the power of Mother Nature, living out here! :ohmy:

Timber Floor Au Oct 8th 2007 8:16 am

MAN HOW COOL IS THIS !!!! jeeze aint seen one like this for a couple of years !! Last time, was when Q1 opened.

For those in UK< who have never been to Australia..

The typical scenario ( during summer months , and its only SPRING ! )

Hot day, then gets very hot and very humid..
Wnid picks up, about 4pm ish.. then very high winds, and you can see lightening from all directions.
It swirls around you, and the cracks of thunder shake your fillings, the storm intensifies, ...
The humidity increases, the lightening strikes get more ferocious..
Then if your very unlucks, HAIL hits you !

And i mean HAIL the size of Cane Toads wrapped in KINDER EGG BOXES !! wearing shiny helmets and drinking LUCOZADE !!

Its a marvel !!

I LOVE IT !

Timber Floor Au Oct 8th 2007 8:24 am

BOM RADAR

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR66...ange=true#skip

Daydreamer123 Oct 8th 2007 8:25 am

Oh wow! Get me all excited! I grew up in Johannesburg, with brilliant, scary storms. I miss them! Can't wait to get to Oz now. I love the feeling of the electricity in the air, making your hair all static!:thumbsup:

Sheff_Sparky Oct 8th 2007 8:26 am

more pics if you can please!

These are fantastic:thumbsup:

Timber Floor Au Oct 8th 2007 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky (Post 5400021)
more pics if you can please!

These are fantastic:thumbsup:

http://cornfordphotography.com/Vario...ng%20Large.jpg

moneypenny20 Oct 8th 2007 8:29 am

Well unless it comes back it was total crap down here :mad: Expecting something special, bit of rain, few loud claps, couple of flashes and now it's all gone :(

Timber Floor Au Oct 8th 2007 8:30 am

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...tning3_1_2.jpg

Timber Floor Au Oct 8th 2007 8:31 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5400029)
Well unless it comes back it was total crap down here :mad: Expecting something special, bit of rain, few loud claps, couple of flashes and now it's all gone :(

Apparently you have it coming your way, from out west in next hour..

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.shtml

bcworld Oct 8th 2007 8:32 am

About 10 minutes ago just saw the Emirates flight from Auckland coming in over the Southside with lightning bolts nearly hitting it every few seconds.....bet that was a fun ride! Quite surprised they came in at the height of the storm.

Timber Floor Au Oct 8th 2007 8:36 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5400036)
About 10 minutes ago just saw the Emirates flight from Auckland coming in over the Southside with lightning bolts nearly hitting it every few seconds.....bet that was a fun ride! Quite surprised they came in at the height of the storm.

Thank god it wasnt the old uk air operator, DAN AIR ( Dan Dare ) lol

Vim Fuego Oct 8th 2007 8:36 am

Patience MP, one's a-coming :)

Gotta love storms ... of the non-destructive variety, naturally.

But the supermarkets are rubbish and the t-shirts fade so it's only a matter of time before I book the ticket :lol:

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 8th 2007 8:43 am

That's coz we're getting right over head right now! Powers gone out in block next door, ours flickered a bit. Rain like I've never seen! :eek:

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5400036)

Can see em still taking off from here! Nutters!

Sheff_Sparky Oct 8th 2007 8:46 am

thanks those pics are amazing!

moneypenny20 Oct 8th 2007 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5400033)
Apparently you have it coming your way, from out west in next hour..

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.shtml

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5400049)
Patience MP, one's a-coming :)

Gotta love storms ... of the non-destructive variety, naturally.

But the supermarkets are rubbish and the t-shirts fade so it's only a matter of time before I book the ticket :lol:

Well it had better or I'll have words to say to BOM :mad::lol:

Pollyana Oct 8th 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5400098)
Well it had better or I'll have words to say to BOM :mad::lol:

This one came further north than you Pen, gave you a break - you know you'll get some in the next week or so, if not later tonight.

Fluffy, if the season is as spectacular as the BoM are threatening, then keep your camera ready as you'll get some amazing storm shots off Redcliffe ;)

Stella340 Oct 8th 2007 9:40 am

Jeeez this thunder is LOUD! :ohmy:

The OH Oct 8th 2007 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Stella340 (Post 5400228)
Jeeez this thunder is LOUD! :ohmy:

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

VikkiL Oct 8th 2007 10:29 am

I have been loving these storms!

Its great to live bayside as we get the lovely breezes but hells bells, it nearly blew me off the balcony.

Fantastic :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

doub Oct 8th 2007 11:27 am

1 Attachment(s)
Wasn't much to write home about here in Wello Point - got this picture thou

mark937 Oct 8th 2007 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by doub (Post 5400521)
Wasn't much to write home about here in Wello Point - got this picture thou

Bloody great here on the sunshine coast! Have to say, the multiple lightening strikes reminded me of War of the World (Tom Cruise one)! Have sat through many a storm in Australia, this one is pretty awesom

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 8th 2007 8:58 pm

Anyone got any tips for snapping lightning?

My camera takes about 3-4 seconds to capture the bloody shot, by then it's too late! :frown:

It has a fully manual option on it as well, I just haven't got a bloody clue how to use it and stick to auto most of the time. Anyone help?

Urno Oct 8th 2007 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5399997)
Hot day, then gets very hot and very humid..
Wnid picks up, about 4pm ish.. then very high winds, and you can see lightening from all directions.
It swirls around you, and the cracks of thunder shake your fillings, the storm intensifies, ...
The humidity increases, the lightening strikes get more ferocious..
Then if your very unlucks, HAIL hits you !

This is exactly what happened our way last night. Very muggy, but sitting on the balcony with a stubby watching the lightning was awesome!

Only one very loud crack of thunder, which upset the kids a bit (but the noise was gone before bedtime..phew!), and nice fresh rain & wind.

I'm not looking forward to hail, as we haven't got a carport! Having hail insurance doesn't comfort much....

moneypenny20 Oct 8th 2007 11:46 pm

I think I must live in some strange pocket:blink: People on the radio talking about the hail and the fab lightning and they are only a couple of km up the road. When the storm came back we had one loud clap and some rain:(

jad n rich Oct 8th 2007 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5402793)
I think I must live in some strange pocket:blink: People on the radio talking about the hail and the fab lightning and they are only a couple of km up the road. When the storm came back we had one loud clap and some rain:(

Nothng here either, just a little bit of thunder/rain, nothing at all by summer standards :eek: thats more when your roof goes, the glass in the windows is flying around, next doors tree is now upside down in your roof, trees and bits of metal are blowing up the street...... Ahhh summer:D it aint even started yet.

moneypenny20 Oct 9th 2007 12:02 am

Having only been here for two mild summers, I still haven't seen a 'proper' storm. Not what I would call a storm anyway:D

Pollyana Oct 9th 2007 2:27 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5402828)
Having only been here for two mild summers, I still haven't seen a 'proper' storm. Not what I would call a storm anyway:D

First summer I was here there were spectacular storms almost every day for about three months; the last two years haven't even come close to that one.

moneypenny20 Oct 9th 2007 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5402995)
First summer I was here there were spectacular storms almost every day for about three months; the last two years haven't even come close to that one.

Yup. I remember seeing the pics of the hail stones down here a few months before we got over.

bcworld Oct 9th 2007 4:48 am

Looks like the storms are back...currently hitting northern NSW.

BOM is reporting tennis ball sized hail in Lismore! :ohmy:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/warning.jsp?id=IDN28300

curly Oct 9th 2007 5:54 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5403242)
Looks like the storms are back...currently hitting northern NSW.

BOM is reporting tennis ball sized hail in Lismore! :ohmy:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/warning.jsp?id=IDN28300

And in SEQ again http://www.weatherzone.com.au/warning.jsp?id=IDQ20038 just heard some thunder as I type ;)

VikkiL Oct 9th 2007 6:52 am

Thunder and lightning going for it again! Nowhere near as good as the last couple of nights though is it? Lots of rain though :thumbsup:

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 9th 2007 6:58 am

Hold on to yer knickers folks - here it comes agiain!

T'other arf has just rang me from under a bridge on the Gateway Motorway somewhere - shes crapping it as bloomin' big hailstones are bouncing around her everywhere!!!! :eek:

Woman in Bottlo just now told me that just up the road in caboolture they are getting frozen golf balls falling out of the sky! :eek:

God, I love it here! :rofl::thumbsup:

Pollyana Oct 9th 2007 7:08 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5403451)
Hold on to yer knickers folks - here it comes agiain!

T'other arf has just rang me from under a bridge on the Gateway Motorway somewhere - shes crapping it as bloomin' big hailstones are bouncing around her everywhere!!!! :eek:

Woman in Bottlo just now told me that just up the road in caboolture they are getting frozen golf balls falling out of the sky! :eek:

God, I love it here! :rofl::thumbsup:

Issued at 5:03 PM Tuesday, 9 October 2007.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:05 PM, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Strathpine and Lake Samsonvale. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Redcliffe, Beachmere and Bribie Island by 5:35 PM and Comboyuro Point, Cape Moreton and waters off Bribie Island by 6:05 PM.

Other severe thunderstorms were located near southern waters of Moreton Bay, Amity Point, Sunnybank Hills and Southport. They are forecast to affect Brisbane CBD, Cleveland and Wynnum by 5:35 PM and Brisbane Airport, Mud Island and southern Moreton Island by 6:05 PM.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Grape sized hail has recently been reported from the Caboolture area.

Its coming your way Fluffy........it's not bits of cotton falling from the sky this time, either!

Jimclevs Oct 9th 2007 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5403493)
Issued at 5:03 PM Tuesday, 9 October 2007.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:05 PM, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Strathpine and Lake Samsonvale. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to northeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Redcliffe, Beachmere and Bribie Island by 5:35 PM and Comboyuro Point, Cape Moreton and waters off Bribie Island by 6:05 PM.

Other severe thunderstorms were located near southern waters of Moreton Bay, Amity Point, Sunnybank Hills and Southport. They are forecast to affect Brisbane CBD, Cleveland and Wynnum by 5:35 PM and Brisbane Airport, Mud Island and southern Moreton Island by 6:05 PM.
Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.
Grape sized hail has recently been reported from the Caboolture area.

Its coming your way Fluffy........it's not bits of cotton falling from the sky this time, either!

Hi

Lismore (northern NSW) had a storm earlier this afternoon with hail the size of tennis balls :(

I reckon that one would not have been much fun.

Jim

Jimclevs Oct 9th 2007 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Jimclevs (Post 5403556)
Hi

Lismore (northern NSW) had a storm earlier this afternoon with hail the size of tennis balls :(

I reckon that one would not have been much fun.

Jim

............. but having just read an earlier post ............ you already knew that .......... doh :)

Jim