British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   HSBC Online Bank Account (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/hsbc-online-bank-account-231517/)

Gazza May 19th 2004 2:19 pm

HSBC Online Bank Account

Hey all,

Just an update on the above.

Very straight forward to arrange - emailed HSBC in Sydney (from HSBC website) with a few Q's. Chap replied very quickly and sent me an application form.

Went to my local HSBC branch to get my ID checked (took passport, credit card and bank statement) to meet the 100 point requirement. They took copies and the manager certified them with HSBC stamp & his signature.

Now away to post to Sydney where the account manager will then send me my account details so that I can wire my first deposit using tranzfers.com. Will then get ATM card etc.

If you want the contact I have in Sydney send me a PM.

Cheers,
Gaz

Barron May 19th 2004 3:22 pm

Please let me have details tried phoning London they were helpful but said i do not have enough time

fogmeister May 19th 2004 6:33 pm

Re: HSBC Online Bank Account

Hi Gaz ,I also went to HSBC and they were well confused, they done certified copies of our passports only, should they have done certified copies of all our documents, cheers

Gazza May 19th 2004 8:49 pm

Originally posted by fogmeister
Hi Gaz ,I also went to HSBC and they were well confused, they done certified copies of our passports only, should they have done certified copies of all our documents, cheers
Hi fog,

I think so. Cert copies were required for all docs making up the 100 points. Passport only gets you 70 points if you're outside Oz.
I would wait to see what HSBC come back with. They might process your application or request more copies - time will tell.

Good luck

Gaz

fogmeister May 20th 2004 7:12 pm

Cheers Gazza, I'm gonna go back tomorrow and sort it

TOB May 21st 2004 6:10 pm

Hi,

Did your credit card have to have your full name on it? We were told that it had to have the full name on and the initials wouldn't suffice. All our cards have initals and surname on.

Thanks TOB

Originally posted by Gazza
Hey all,

Very straight forward to arrange - emailed HSBC in Sydney (from HSBC website) with a few Q's. Chap replied very quickly and sent me an application form.

Went to my local HSBC branch to get my ID checked (took passport, credit card and bank statement) to meet the 100 point requirement. They took copies and the manager certified them with HSBC stamp & his signature.

Now away to post to Sydney where the account manager will then send me my account details so that I can wire my first deposit using tranzfers.com. Will then get ATM card etc.

Cheers,
Gaz

ptlabs May 22nd 2004 2:11 pm

Originally posted by TOB
Hi,

Did your credit card have to have your full name on it? We were told that it had to have the full name on and the initials wouldn't suffice. All our cards have initals and surname on.

Thanks TOB
TOB,

Passports are worth 70 points.

Driver's licences issued outside of Australia are worth 25 points.

You'll need just 5 more points to reach the 100 threshold. Any ATM card with your full name on it would do the trick :)

You might not need to show a credit card after all....

Peter

Jules&Dex May 23rd 2004 7:01 am

HSBC Online Account

Hi Gazza,

We are about to send certified joining docs for HSBC account to Sydney, but have just read the posting about sending docs using Royal Mail (from Timber Floor Au).

Did you send yours via private courier ie; DHL?

Cheers

Jules

:)

Gazza May 24th 2004 7:26 am

Re: HSBC Online Account

Originally posted by Jules&Dex
Hi Gazza,

We are about to send certified joining docs for HSBC account to Sydney, but have just read the posting about sending docs using Royal Mail (from Timber Floor Au).

Did you send yours via private courier ie; DHL?

Cheers

Jules

Hi Jules,

No - I just used regular Royal Mail - cost £1.56.
The envelope had nothing valuable in it i.e. passport, so I didn't think a courier was necessary.

If it were to get lost it wouldn't be too much trouble to download form, fill it out again and have them certify more copies.

By all means use a courier if you want peace of mind.

Gaz

midge04 May 24th 2004 12:05 pm

Originally posted by Gazza
Hey all,

Cheers,
Gaz

Hi, Ive also joined HSBC, when u get your docs certified in your British branch do you have to give them the equivalent of the $2000 there and then. I have all the forms but just getting the money together before i take the docs down ther.

wandrews May 24th 2004 12:12 pm

Apologies, for I must have missed the first part of this thread, but are you saying you have successfully opened an online OZ bank account before you have emigrated?

stephenwhite68 May 24th 2004 12:22 pm

Sent PM to you concerning this matter
Hope you can help

Gazza May 24th 2004 1:07 pm

Originally posted by midge04
Hi, Ive also joined HSBC, when u get your docs certified in your British branch do you have to give them the equivalent of the $2000 there and then. I have all the forms but just getting the money together before i take the docs down ther.
Hi,

The branch manager in Sydney told me I could wire the money after the account has been opened. No chqs or cash needed.
He will send me a note of the account no. so I can arrange this after my application is processed.

Gaz

stephenwhite68 May 24th 2004 1:10 pm

I am having MAJOR problems trying to get in touch with someone in perth HSBC
all my e-mails are coming back unread !

no help !

Jules&Dex May 24th 2004 6:56 pm

HSBC Online Account

Gazza,

Thanks for the info. We are slightly concerned that there are copies of our passports/credit card (& signature) details.

Cheers Jules