Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HSBC - This is good

HSBC - This is good

Old Oct 16th 2003, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default HSBC - This is good

Hi,

Was trying in vain to get the 100 point check form to complete the account "online savings" but the Ozzies kept sending me the wrong ID form. So I phoned my Local Branch well not that local it being in Edinburgh and I asked could she help me get a form, so she has emailed Sydney, then she said, "why don't I just use our international buiness centre and open up normal account in Brisbane so it's open for you etc when you arrive" I will get all the paperwork for you and will keep in touch, bring your ID in and I will get everything sorted for you. Including the online savings.

Well what can I say, that is good service. I Didn't think you could do this but she said that she had done it for a couple about 6 weeks ago and all they needed to do was ask.

So you can, I would pop in or phone and ask.

It's nice to get good service
Old Oct 16th 2003, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi Carrinne

We used the Internation Business THingy too, ID was a pain in the arse but you have to do it for everything these days.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 6:33 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Brush up on your Cantonese if you go to the Sydney branch though, otherwise they just stare at you like you're an idiot and say 'Huh!?' a lot. Crap.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Still no HSBC on the sunny coast tho, might be a right pain if you have a cheque or something. Cheques are still a big part of business and daily life out here.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 6:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Still no HSBC on the sunny coast tho, might be a right pain if you have a cheque or something. Cheques are still a big part of business and daily life out here.
The only time I have needed a cheque in the last year was to apply for an Aussie police check for final stage processing.

With westpac you need a separate account for a cheque book. Absolute rip off.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

It's taking a while to get out of the habit of using cheques, used them willy nilly in uk but you get charged for a cheque book and also for putting cheques through I think But then again I get charged if I use the cash machine & EFPOS too many times and somethings you just cant use Visa for.

Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
The only time I have needed a cheque in the last year was to apply for an Aussie police check for final stage processing.

With westpac you need a separate account for a cheque book. Absolute rip off.
You get cheques for annoying things tho, like a electricity bond refund or a change of insurance policy or something, without a branch it could be a hassle. Like suppose you want to pay stamp duty they want a Bank Cheque or buying a car, bank cheque again, dont know but for me it would be a right pain if me nearest branch was 1.5 hours away.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:32 am
WBB

i dont understand why people use the hsbc in oz, i bank with them here (first direct) and they are very good, but they have very few branches in oz.
i will be choosing a better represented bank like commonwealth or anz when i get there, i will then transfer my doh from first direct to my new bank...job done.
if you need a little cash for the first few (car rental/housing) untill you can set up a bank and get your money over why not just take some with you?

Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:20 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Well I never go into my branch in the UK therefore do not see it as a problem that my branch will be 80km away. I do most of my UK banking by internet banking. I am used to getting cash back even in the pubs here in the UK so does not bother me that I can't draw cash from a HSBC machine or another banks machine.

I have got out of writing cheques here in the UK as I am only allowed to write a limited number on my current account to get a better interest rate so not using a cheque book is not a huge problem.

I guess we will wait and see once we get there. HSBC seemed the easiest way for us with smaller account charges than Commonwealth and ANZ. If we discover a better option we can always change once we get settled.

Jo
Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:25 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i dont understand why people use the hsbc in oz, i bank with them here (first direct) and they are very good, but they have very few branches in oz.
i will be choosing a better represented bank like commonwealth or anz when i get there, i will then transfer my doh from first direct to my new bank...job done.
if you need a little cash for the first few (car rental/housing) untill you can set up a bank and get your money over why not just take some with you?
I hav'nt needed to go into a bank for years now, not once.

HSBC can print and send you a bank cheque by post, if you ever really need one. And that would be pretty rare in any case.

They have excellent rates and low fees for starters. THe internet banking service is good, and the customer service i have always received has been excellent.

All transactions i make now are by phone or internet these days anyway.

HSBC offer unlimited free eftpos, unlimited atm withdrawals at hsbc atms, and 5 free from any other atm. When did you last visit an atm more than once a week anyway?

Commonwealth and ANZ unfortunatly screw you with bank fees, or they used to anyway...
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

i haven't lived near my bank for 4 years It's in Wigan I am in Scotland there isn't even one near me, so that's how much I need to go in.

Gone with HSBC as the others have quite costly fees, how I want to run my account is to get a credit card and pay everything on that and then just hav eone direct debit per month on my account.

Paying money in will be the only pain
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:32 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Carrianne
i haven't lived near my bank for 4 years It's in Wigan I am in Scotland there isn't even one near me, so that's how much I need to go in.

Gone with HSBC as the others have quite costly fees, how I want to run my account is to get a credit card and pay everything on that and then just hav eone direct debit per month on my account.

Paying money in will be the only pain
You can post payment to the Brisbane branch, I've done that from the UK.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:48 pm
WBB

i would only use eftpos and credit card anyway as i do in the u.k.
i am with first direct who have no branches so i am used to that side of things but it just seems to make sense to me to use a well represented bank.
there would be no fees for eftpos so i dont see the problem

Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I've opened up an HSBC account here (which I did while in the UK) and only have a Debit Card with them.

I haven't used a cheque here yet and if I need cash I can go to the local supermarket and just ask for it (via EFTPOS) over the counter (don't even need to buy anything).

There are lots of easy ways to pay bills, post office, internet, phone, credit card, direct debit, so no need for a cheque account at all.

My nearest HSBC branch is about a 1/2 hour drive away, and apart from going there to pick up my ATM card (which had been destroyed anyway), have not had to go near the place.

I've found that people are not so happy to take cheques here like they do in the UK, and cash gives you alot more flexibility when purchasing things (more discounts).

Regards
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

I called HSBC yesterday about getting a pack so i could get my aussie account set up, got through to Hyderabad, now no offence to anyone who doesnt have english as their first language, but my god, all she could say was what is your sort code and account no and i'll transfer you to your branch, i eventually managed to get her supervisor to transfer me to their international dept but all in all it took 50 mins, should i take this as an omen and just go with the commonwealth?

Lynn

by the way they never did manage to undersatnd that i wanted an account in australia, they through that was my name and called me andrea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.