Wikiposts

HSBC Debit card

Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:13 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC Debit card

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Solution:
Get a credit card with no annual fee (Wizard) or FF miles (Citibank)
Use this card to pay for everything.
Settle the account every month thereby paying no interest.

In the 4 years that we have been using credit cards here we have had:
A business class flight Perth-Johannesburg
An economy class flight on SIA Johannesburg-Perth
An economy class return Perth-Sydney
3 economy class returns Perth-NZ
And still have plenty of points left for more flights

All this for using credit cards and having paid not a cent in interest (only extra paid has been one annual $20 FF fee on the Citibank card)

Sweet as.
I really can't be bothered with all these different "rewards" schemes, although I've done literally hundreds of flights and spent a fortune on credit cards (I get special arrangements on flights.) I do seem to remember joining some frequent flyer scheme way back when they started and being given a mile to start the account with - I wonder if it's still there?

I agree though, I wouldn't dream of paying for a credit card, or running a debt on one with the interest rates they charge.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I really can't be bothered with all these different "rewards" schemes, although I've done literally hundreds of flights and spent a fortune on credit cards (I get special arrangements on flights.) I do seem to remember joining some frequent flyer scheme way back when they started and being given a mile to start the account with - I wonder if it's still there?

I agree though, I wouldn't dream of paying for a credit card, or running a debt on one with the interest rates they charge.
I only have 1 reward scheme and that is QFF - everything goes into that.

Credit cards are great if you are disciplined with them - in fact, you can make money out of them. Our flights to New Zealand in Dec/Jan is costing us about $400 in taxes - nothing when you consider that we will be travelling in peak time.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I agree. I have never understood the 'option' to pin or sign. It's almost like they just don't get the concept.

S
It is the changeover period, just like in the UK, when, from about 2002? to 2006 you could do either. Actually some people can still sign in the UK.

The French who had theirs before the UK, could also not understand why the British had it so wrong. Maybe they didn't consider the changeover period.

I still have one current Australian card that was issued without a chip, so if they made it chip only, before all cards have been renewed and updated with chips, it could be a problem.

But it probably wont be long before the changeover is complete.

Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:37 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is the changeover period, just like in the UK, when, from about 2002? to 2006 you could do either. Actually some people can still sign in the UK.

The French who had theirs before the UK, could also not understand why the British had it so wrong. Maybe they didn't consider the changeover period.

I still have one current Australian card that was issued without a chip, so if they made it chip only, before all cards have been renewed and updated with chips, it could be a problem.

But it probably wont be long before the changeover is complete.

Are you sure it's a changeover period? I had sort of assumed that it was, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that PIN will become the only option in the future...

S
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:34 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Are you sure it's a changeover period? I had sort of assumed that it was, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that PIN will become the only option in the future...

S
AMEX have said in AU they are not intending to adopt PIN entry
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

There was going to be a change over to pin, but people complained about it and resisted so now its become the norm to be able to just sign, which I personally prefer
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:37 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I have just received a reply from HSBC: I asked exactly what the "extra protection" is on my HSBC debit card if I press "Credit".

The reply did not attempt to answer that, just reiterated what is in the PDS about limits and then went on to say how he was sending me a debit card....

Words fail me!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:01 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
There was going to be a change over to pin, but people complained about it and resisted so now its become the norm to be able to just sign, which I personally prefer

Why though? It's nowhere near as secure - I can't even remember the last time anybody checked the signature when I bought something...

S
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:20 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I only have 1 reward scheme and that is QFF - everything goes into that.

Credit cards are great if you are disciplined with them - in fact, you can make money out of them. Our flights to New Zealand in Dec/Jan is costing us about $400 in taxes - nothing when you consider that we will be travelling in peak time.
Indeed I use solely my Amex for everything as does the dear lady. Charge card means I have to pay it all at the end of the month, there is no option.

I usually fly back to London at least once a year first class on points plus $400 or so as a result. Which isn't bad for doing nothing when its a $12k+ fare otherwise
Old Jun 19th 2010, 10:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
Indeed I use solely my Amex for everything as does the dear lady. Charge card means I have to pay it all at the end of the month, there is no option.

I usually fly back to London at least once a year first class on points plus $400 or so as a result. Which isn't bad for doing nothing when its a $12k+ fare otherwise
How much do you have to spend on a charge/credit card to get that ?

Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice

Hi,

I have an Australian HSBC Bank account. I opened it from the UK a few months ago. I have not been to Australia since, and have not used my debit card. Reading this i am really confused about the system in oz. In the UK you put your debit card in, then your pin and your good to go.

Why do they have the Debit, Credit and Cheque button? To the customer what is the difference apart from the spending limit on the Debit? If you press the credit button does it act like a credit card? Do they charge you?

Sorry about this i am pretty lost by this...

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2010, 9:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think it's all part of the Australian "thing" of having to be different, to be honest. Like their electrical plugs, many road rules and so on.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JetBlast
Hi,

I have an Australian HSBC Bank account. I opened it from the UK a few months ago. I have not been to Australia since, and have not used my debit card. Reading this i am really confused about the system in oz. In the UK you put your debit card in, then your pin and your good to go.

Why do they have the Debit, Credit and Cheque button? To the customer what is the difference apart from the spending limit on the Debit? If you press the credit button does it act like a credit card? Do they charge you?

Sorry about this i am pretty lost by this...

Thanks
Originally it was simply to differential between the 3 accounts.
People had Credit Cards, Savings Accounts and Cheque Accounts, therefore 3 buttons for the 3 options.

But now the MasterCard and Visa companies are offering people the option to select Credit even on their debit cards, so that they (the banking organisations) can charge the retailer a higher percentage of the sale as their commission.

It makes no 'direct' difference to us the customer though.

As I only use a credit card, I just put my credit card in, press Credit, so it knows it is a credit card, (and the retailer pays a higher fee), then my pin and I am good to go

If I used a Debit card, I would just put my debit card in, press Debit, so it knows it is a Debit card, (and then the retailer only pays a smaller fee), then my pin, and again, good to go

If we think too much about it, we can confuse ourselves.

Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:01 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
I think it's all part of the Australian "thing" of having to be different, to be honest. Like their electrical plugs, many road rules and so on.
I think there are a few countries that are "different" to the UK

Old Jun 20th 2010, 9:20 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think there are a few countries that are "different" to the UK
I'm not referring only to the UK though. So far as for example plugs are concerned there are several different standards around the world - getting fewer - but Oz and NZ are AFAIK alone in not adopting a standard widely used elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.