Wikiposts

HSBC bank Aus

Old Aug 9th 2003, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi ya welshpom,

You're right the card is not actually an Amex card but it is administered by them. You're in a much better position to say whether that affects your use of the card.

Hi Jolyn

I guess you're right to a certain extent about the Aussie banking system. I believe the "all in one" cheque and mortgage account was invented there. Having said that, the charging structure is pure profiteering. Now that's not me saying that but a member of First Direct International!

At the end of the day, all we can do is go for whatever the best deal on paper and accept that charges are going to be made.

Good luck all
Old Aug 9th 2003, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Update

Went to my local branch on Friday to get the identity proof signed.
Waited 45 mins to see a personal banker.
When the girl started walking towards me I thought she looked familiar. Anyway she referred it to a manger and
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Update

Waited 45 mins to see a personal banker.When the girl started walking towards me I thought she looked familiar. Anyway she referred it to a manager and THEY REFUSED TO SIGN IT. Couldn't believe it as I have banked with them for 12 years. They don't know me at the branch and 'cos the form says they have to know you for 12 months or more they apologised for not being able to sign it.

I use my branch about twice a year, so I don't know anyone in it really.Then I realised the girl I had been talking to was the sister of one of my office staff at work. I told her we were emigrating etc. Now I am going to have to tell my boss when I get back as she might pass the info on!

Stormed up to HSBC and they said they couldn't sign it either.
Went home peed off. Popped in to see my sister-in-law and she told me my sons friends Mother works in Barclays. Rang her up and she said she would sign it no problem for both of us.

At last a result- no thanks to Natwest. I would change my account now if I could. They have mucked me around for years.

Why does everything have to be so much hassle?

Last edited by tinaj; Aug 9th 2003 at 8:32 am.
BE Forum Addict

Update

Waited 45 mins to see a personal banker.
When the girl started walking towards me I thought she looked familiar. Anyway she referred it to a manger and
Old Aug 10th 2003, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry you had so much hassle Tina but it sounds like you've sorted it out now. That NatWest branch sounds awful - 45 minute wait?!

We bank with Primeline (Natwest telephone service) so I rang them first to get them to ring ahead to the branch to ask them to sign it. Then I asked directly for the manager when I arrived and said he was expecting me. Plus I took chocolates and thanked them for all their service as if I knew them well.

Just depends on who you get I suppose. All you need is some jobsworth to make a drama out of it. The branch manager at our local was very laidback - has emigrated to the USA before himself - and actually asked me 'so how long have we known you?' so I said 6 years.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Tina - also sounds like they missed the point at your local NatWest - a bit dim perhaps? The reason a foreign bank manager can sign it is because you are known to the bank and have a banking history - you don't have to be known by them in particular.

You're asking them to sign as an officer of the bank, not personally!
Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

That's what I tried to explain to them. As the form states 'The referee has known the applicant for at least 12 months' They took it as a personal knowledge.

Thank God I know someone who works at Barclays, we should be able to get it sorted out now.