Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hows this for a "it's a small world" story?

Hows this for a "it's a small world" story?

Old May 24th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Smile Hows this for a "it's a small world" story?

OH came home from work last night,& told me he's got chatting to some guy he'd been dealing with & it only turns out he was from Scotland - not too much of a coincidence, but he used to live in the same village as Steve's dad & knew his dad & uncles because he was in the same class at school
How's that for a small world

Anyone got any other "it's a small world" stories?
Old May 24th 2006, 10:03 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hows this for a "it's a small world" story?

Originally Posted by woogle
OH came home from work last night,& told me he's got chatting to some guy he'd been dealing with & it only turns out he was from Scotland - not too much of a coincidence, but he used to live in the same village as Steve's dad & knew his dad & uncles because he was in the same class at school

yep,

When i was VERY young i stayed in Melbourne and shared a house with a Scottish guy and another 3 females (2 Scottish and one aussie), anyway, the Scottish guy, Iain, was patiently waiting for his Scottish girlfriend to come over (she was a nurse, like myself), time went by , no girlfriend.

I left and went back to Scotland and was working for a nursing agency in Glasgow, ended up in one of the big hosps in Glasgow one day and was working with another agency nurse, who went on to tell me she had left her permanent nursing post to go to Australia to stay with her Scottish boyfriend, but had since changed her mind as she had met someone else and had not plucked up the courage to tell him, I said 'don't bother I'll telephone him tonight @
Old May 24th 2006, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

I went to work in Cyprus for the summer 14 years ago and got a job in an Irish bar. This bloke from Manchester came in and started chatting to me. turned out his aunt lived ten doors away from me in Dublin. Her used to spend the six weeks of the summer holidays in Dublin every year until he was 16. He knew all my friends and I had grew up playing with his cousins and then as we got older going to the pub together at weekends. Funny thing is I dont remember him or him me but all my friends remembered him well when I asked them. His aunt even has pictures of us together as kids.
Oh and I forgot to mention we've been married 12 years now!
Tracie
Old May 24th 2006, 10:08 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
I went to work in Cyprus for the summer 14 years ago and got a job in an Irish bar. This bloke from Manchester came in and started chatting to me. turned out his aunt lived ten doors away from me in Dublin. Her used to spend the six weeks of the summer holidays in Dublin every year until he was 16. He knew all my friends and I had grew up playing with his cousins and then as we got older going to the pub together at weekends. Funny thing is I dont remember him or him me but all my friends remembered him well when I asked them. His aunt even has pictures of us together as kids.
Tracie

Awwwwwwwwwe, that;s a lovely story
Old May 24th 2006, 10:08 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

We met and got friendly with a couple from Yorkshire when we were on holiday in Majorca about 10 years ago. We went to Oz in 2000 were walking round 'the rocks' in Sydney and bumped into the girl. Couldnt believe it. Definately a small world.
Recognised each other instantly.

Joex

Last edited by mark 'n' joe; May 24th 2006 at 10:12 pm.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Awwwwwwwwwe, that;s a lovely story
It's both our mother's party piece. They tell everyone, they both reckon it was faith that brought us together whereas I reckon that it was the drink
Tracie
Old May 24th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we were the only 2 foreign/English counsellors at Camp America, at a summer camp in a small place in the back of beyond, Pennsylvania.

Fast forward 3 years, the other English guy (now a mate) was retaking exams, and to fill in time was working for Portsmouth council (UK). His replacement was the American camp director's son, whom we all hated, as he was an idiot. He had come to live near his English girlfriend who was from Portsmouth.

Not exactly who either of us would have wanted to bump into!
Old May 24th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Tracie[/QUOTE]

How cool
Old May 24th 2006, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

lawrenson is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was 7 we went to Oz for a two year exchange. We overlapped the previous English family and went to meet them in their house (the one we were to move into). The weekend that we returned to the UK they moved in around the corner from us and the youngest daughter and I started school together dressed in the same dresses.

They then moved away but we were reunited some years later when she came back to our village for her honeymoon.
Move on several years and moving all over the country- I went to hospital to have my daughter and when I got up in the night who should be sitting at the nurses desk but the older sister of that family! Two years later I went back to have second daughter and they were short staffed in delivery suite. Pat was called to work but could not come because she had a cold. She would have delivered my baby if she'd not been ill!
Old May 24th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

[! Two years later I went back to have second daughter and they were short staffed in delivery suite. Pat was called to work but could not come because she had a cold. She would have delivered my baby if she'd not been ill! [/QUOTE]

Blimey!
Not on the same scale, but when I was in mid labour having my first child, a nurse came in asking if I wanted breakfast Was just about to yell at her,when it turned out to be one of my best friends from school,who I hadn't seen for 22 years ! It was great & she stayed with me through the rest of the delivery & it was really great for her to be at the birth
19 months later when I had my second, her sister was the Ward sister & she stayed around whilst I had my daughter!
Old May 25th 2006, 12:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

When i first moved to Australia last year I went off to Joondalup to exchange my drivers licence. I handed over my English one and the lady behind the counter said "I used to live in Sawtry". Really I said, "Yeah Ermine Way" she replied. My Dad and his wife live on Ermine Way. She had been brought up 3 doors down from my Dad and she went to school with my step brothers.

Second one which really tops it. My Dad was in his local pub and he got chatting to a newcomer at the bar. He noticed that he had a similar accent from Lancashire and of course started talking about where they were from. The bloke was from about 10 miles down the road. He said to my Dad that he used to go out with a cracking girl from my Dad's village in the mid 60's.
Always held a torch for her, her name was Margaret. My Dad nearly fell of his bar stool because this bloke had gone out with my Mum 3 years prior to her marrying my Dad.
Old May 25th 2006, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

On the radio, there is a show called Tingley Thursday where people ring in with interesting stories etc. A guy called in to say that his parents have a photo of his dad holding him in the hospital on the day he was born, and in the background of the photo is his wife's mum holding his wife (obviously they were born in the same hospital at the same time..). I think he was an Irish guy. I just think that was an amazing story.
Old May 25th 2006, 1:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Co-incidences!

A few years ago I was sitting on a bench, waiting to be served at a ticket counter. One of the people in front of me at the counter I recognised from his back - an old colleague XXXXXX. I said to Mrs Wol that I would say hello when he'd finished, and at that point he turned to go - and it was nothing like the person I'd thought it was from the front.

At which point the guy sitting to my right tapped me on the shoulder and said "Excuse me, but I couldn't help hearing who you were talking about - I'm XXXXX's son!"

Spooky!
Old May 25th 2006, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

On my daughters first day at school in Oz, a mom was looking at her a bit strangely. Her daughter used to go to the same playgroup as mine in UK, 7 years ago. I didn't recognise her as my childminder used to take her for me.

They are now really good friends of ours.

Very small world !!!
Old May 25th 2006, 1:14 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

A guy based elsewhere (Wales) make rare appearance at office I am working at (Hamps). Got talking, somehow mentioned a place, said I used to live there (Dorset). He asked if I knew a chocolate shop, yep, my parents used to own it . He only use to be a supplier of the company (in London) my Dad use to work for (before my parents bought the shop) and they would regularly have a drink on a Friday afternoon 20 odd years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.