Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How was your weekend(in Oz)?

How was your weekend(in Oz)?

Old Aug 29th 2004, 2:57 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default How was your weekend(in Oz)?

Well, a few hours ago when I was already thinking about doing this post, it was going to be one big positive!
Unfortunetly, it has a bit of a negative stuck to the end of it now, though, nothing major, just lost my crappy job.....
Anyway, nothing major, Pascal has a job, and I don't think I'll have a problem getting another(better!!!) one, and a good thing we bought the West (newspaper) yesterday! :-D And I can sleep in tommorrow!

Oh, the reason: combination of not enough experience to become a senior, and being to expensive (I just started last week, in a bakery). They're looking to train some people to become seniors. They probably realised I wouldn't stick around very long anyway.
Well, now I can concentrate on getting a job which suits my skills! Anyone need an assistant Faciliy(ies) Manager or something like that??

So, my weekend:

Friday afternoon started off great, with a (expat) girls afternoon in the city.
Weather was disgusting though, pouring with rain all week! But, not so cold at night luckily, cos of the clouds.
Was looking for an umbrella, couldn't find one at target or anywhere, so Crazy Clarks it was, 3.99 lol.
Got back to my car in Northbridge, and luckily I didn't have a wheelclamp! ( I put $4 in the machine, and then my ticket didn't come out! And seeing as I didn't have more change, I decided to take the risk....!! )

Pascal got home on time for his doing(5.30), had dinner, picked up Emily in Leederville, and were just driving onto the freeway when Mairi called with her brilliant news !!!!
Then, off to Bunbury! Left Perth at about 7, got there at 9. Quiet busy on the road, but not tooo full. Luckily didn't hit any kanga's!

Had pizza at Allen and Jess's, and went of the the Prins of Wales pub to see singer-songwriter Jez, from Byron Bay. He's good! And a guy called Mark from the Wahler something band was the backup, he was good too.
Pub closed at 12!!
We were talking to the owner, saying he should get another license, but he didn't want to, cos after 12 you just have drunks and fights and stuff!
Talked to Jez as well, got a cd signed. Pascal got his new cd and Allen his first one, so they can copy it off each other! :-D

Last edited by Simone; Aug 29th 2004 at 3:10 pm. Reason: remove sig
Old Aug 29th 2004, 3:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How was your weekend(in Oz)?

Had a freeeeeezing night!!!!!! Because it had cleared up, it froze!! (litarally!!). Brrrr!
Had to get up early too!
Drove to Balingup (a little hippy/greenie town, in between Donnybrook and Bridgetown, which are inbetween Bunbury and Manjimup), to go to the Annual Medieval Carnival.
Hadn't been before, cos it only started in 1998.
I wasn't expecting that much, cos I know Oz , but it was bigger than I thought. And $5 entry isn't to bad, hey?!
Parked at Em's aunts house, and she gave us cloaks!!! (only wore it to keep warm!!!)

Pascal and Allen arrived a bit later, having detoured via a 4WD track. Then went on to by the famous Balingup Magic Mushroom Pie (yes, the area might be know for it's magic mushrooms, but this(awardwinning) pie, is just ordinary mushrooms). Was quite good actually!
So, stayed there and saw a band, and a circus act (Fat Matt, who Emily knows from our circus days, 10 years ago) Pascal got called forward to hold a big unicycle. I felt so sorry for him, he hates any attention!
And Matt was talking to him in half German, lol!

Then the Grand Parade, which Jess was in, with her drum group.

The drummers
Old Aug 29th 2004, 3:03 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Just about the whole primary school....

:scared: Anyone thinking of Guineviere???? :-D

Allen and me(looking fat! But it's the cloak!!!!!!! lol)
Old Aug 29th 2004, 3:05 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Some guy...(acually, they said that's the school principal!)

Then went to Bridgetown, where a 50 year anniversary reunion was happening (all weekend). I wasn't expecting much, cause there wasn't really one big event planned, and I didn't expect many/any of the 'younger' students to be there (our class was Class of '97). And there wasn't....!
So, we took a school tour, which was given by our old English teacher, who's now principal, and he's quite funny, so we had fun, showing Pascal and Allen 'our school'. And admiring the great view, which you don't appreciate when you're a student!
Was wierd to see the difference in the computer/books ratio in the library!! ha ha

Last edited by Simone; Aug 29th 2004 at 3:08 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 3:06 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Had dinner at Jess' mum's house, got some petrol ($1.14!!!) and drove back to Balingup, to see if there was anything happening. There was a bit, a 'band' that had also performed at the festival, was playing at the town hall, and all the 'hippies' were there. It was pretty cool, so stayed for a while. The music was good, and they had a bonfire going. And we think we saw magic mushrooms being passed around, but now aren't sure! (We aren't sure because we're just not sure, not that we took any :-P )
When we left, we were all like, ' I feel normal now' lol.
The band was Junkaholics or something like that. People drumming on garbage bins and all that kind of stuff, sounded pretty good!

OMG, this post is getting way to long, anyone still awake???!!!

Ok, so, left there, drove back to Bunbury, where I drank Cadbury Chocolate Liquer(Omg, how good was that!!!) and we watched Whalerider, which was good.
Had another cold night, and drove back to Perth on time, cause Em had uni work to do. Saw 4 emu's in a paddock somewhere south of Mandurah!!
Got some veggies at the Subi markets on the way back, nice and cheap.

At 8.30 the bakery called and no more job...
At least I can sleep in tommorrow. Mmm, might go and get myself a glass of bundy to get me warm!

Looking forward to next weekend, but also

So, did you do anything interesting/exciting in the weekend????
Halloooo anyone still there???

One more silly foto to round this post off:
Old Aug 29th 2004, 3:07 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Simone, you are completely mad girl! Looks like you had a good weekend (apart from the job - and you'll get a better one, just you wait and see).
Old Aug 29th 2004, 3:13 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by bundy
Simone, you are completely mad girl! Looks like you had a good weekend (apart from the job - and you'll get a better one, just you wait and see).
I'm not mad, they all are! I was just cold!
Emily's the one in the yellow btw. The others are her sister, her aunt and her cousin in the blue....
Old Aug 29th 2004, 3:34 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Simone,

sounds like you had a great weekend - apart from the job thingy. Never mind! a better one will come along, your skills were wasted in that bakery - although we will miss the discount cakes - how selfish am I

Love the piccies, esp the cloaks. Very fetching

PS. Chris says he would love to take Pascal (and you) out 4WD'ing (and he promises not to get stuck next time !!!! )
Old Aug 29th 2004, 4:16 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
Simone,

sounds like you had a great weekend - apart from the job thingy. Never mind! a better one will come along, your skills were wasted in that bakery - although we will miss the discount cakes - how selfish am I

Love the piccies, esp the cloaks. Very fetching

PS. Chris says he would love to take Pascal (and you) out 4WD'ing (and he promises not to get stuck next time !!!! )
Yes, it's a big shame about the cakes and bread!
Though, good for my weight!

Cool! Well, it'll stop raining as much soon, so no mud to get stuck in....
Old Aug 30th 2004, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Sorry about the job Simone. You'll find something better!!

Looks like you had fun in the weekend. Reminds me of carnival or something, are you sure you're not from Limburg or Brabant
Old Aug 30th 2004, 5:59 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Sorry about the job Simone. You'll find something better!!

Looks like you had fun in the weekend. Reminds me of carnival or something, are you sure you're not from Limburg or Brabant
lol, no!
Not my kind of thing at all!! That's why I was reluctant to wear the cape, but it was warm!

So, you've been to carnival in HOlland? I've never been! And I lived there the last 8 years! But they didn't have it in my area(Overijssel). Well, some towns did, but not like down south.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Simone, looks like fab weekend, never mind about job, there will be another one around the corner...see you Thursday

Teresa
Old Aug 30th 2004, 8:42 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Simone
lol, no!
Not my kind of thing at all!! That's why I was reluctant to wear the cape, but it was warm!

So, you've been to carnival in HOlland? I've never been! And I lived there the last 8 years! But they didn't have it in my area(Overijssel). Well, some towns did, but not like down south.

Hi Simone,

sorry to hear about the job but I'm sure it'll work out for the best. Just think of all that extra pole dancing you do !!

Looks like you had a great weekend. We'll (Jill and the Little 'un) have to go to Bunbury when I get over as I have some cousins down there I haven't met yet.

Best wishes and keep smiling !

Warren

Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Simone
lol, no!

Yes, I went as Cleopatra in Roermond - many many years ago. I mainly remember a lot of alcohol and feeling very cold in the early hours of the morning. Oh yes... and saying "alaaf" very often