Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How would you spend the money?

How would you spend the money?

Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default How would you spend the money?

All sold up and we are headed downunder with a couple of suitcases to face an uncertain future. I don't know if it was a good decision at early forties and with a young family to look after. I have never been unemployed before, so there is a bit of an uneasy feeling as well in the underbelly. But hey, everyone is doing it..... so are we. But at least we should be wise with our money because that's all we got now from selling property, car, deposits etc..... about $325,000 in AUD. I know its not a lot, but its not too small either. How would you go about spending the money?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How would you spend the money?

Originally Posted by caliburn
All sold up and we are headed downunder with a couple of suitcases to face an uncertain future. I don't know if it was a good decision at early forties and with a young family to look after. I have never been unemployed before, so there is a bit of an uneasy feeling as well in the underbelly. But hey, everyone is doing it..... so are we. But at least we should be wise with our money because that's all we got now from selling property, car, deposits etc..... about $325,000 in AUD. I know its not a lot, but its not too small either. How would you go about spending the money?
A small deposit for a small flat/house depending on where you move too.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:56 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

As said invest it , dont place it in a bank as tax man will know and tax you on it
Old Jul 17th 2011, 11:51 pm

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

you shoould be able to get a nice house for that and still have 50k plus to help while you set yourself up, thing is it won't be near the center of one of the major cities (is that really a bad thing) just fill your ipod with lots of nice songs and enjoy the commute or work out of town alittle
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:03 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, sod the money, just........good luck....those who brave the unknown, those who step outside the box, those who take a risk, well they deserve all the luck in the world.

Australia, i love it, if you do, well it will work because it works!

Keith
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:28 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'd leave most of it in the UK (or probably offshore) until I was certain I was staying in Oz.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:43 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bello
you shoould be able to get a nice house for that and still have 50k plus to help while you set yourself up, thing is it won't be near the center of one of the major cities (is that really a bad thing) just fill your ipod with lots of nice songs and enjoy the commute or work out of town alittle
House for $275k????? Jeez...wish I knew where that was!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'd leave most of it in the UK (or probably offshore) until I was certain I was staying in Oz.
Especially at this current exchange rate!!
Leave it in UK and just sned some over occasionally IF and when you need it. Then when it becomes a bit better rate send it all over as deposit for a house, IF, you are staying permanently.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:07 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to weigh it up, exchange rate v relative interest rates, but as I don't have any savings (only debt!) I've never done the sums.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

It will probably spend itself the first few months

After that, you can get 6.3% interest in OZ at call, but the ATO will take its chunk - banks are made to inform centerlink ATO etc of interest details in OZ.

Gawd knows where you would buy a house for 275,000 Might be a nice deposit.

Keep emergency funds at the ready. EG flights for emergency, family so X 4 you would easily need $8000 more at short notice.

Keep aside plenty for education and health expenses, especially with kids.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:44 am
Just Joined

simo71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:I'd leave most of it in the UK (or probably offshore) until I was certain I was staying in Oz.

Same! As you said you may don't like it here.
We arrived earlier this year and we are planning to be back in London by next Jan.
My husband hasn't found a permanent job yet and we found it very expensive here,so far this adventure turned into a stressful nightmare and I'll be glad when we can put it behind us. Good luck with everything! I hope your experience in OZ will be better than mine.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 4:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd send it to me. PM me for my bank details.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:09 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bello
Regarding the $275,000 house, which city are we talking about? Hobart maybe?

We paid $310,000 5 years ago and live about an hour from Brisbane CBD (on a very good commuting day), we thought this was a pretty good deal and going on the current market we haven't changed our mind. I guess there is cheaper to be had in places like Inala but they are cheap for a reason ...

Enjoy the commute? There some things even a stack of good tunes won't fix and wasted time is one of them.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:05 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely leave the money in the UK. The AUD has to fall and sterling will appreciate when interest rates begin to rise. Only bring in what you need. Aussie housing market is a bubble waiting to burst in many people's views.