Reload this Page >

How would it work?

Wikiposts

How would it work?

Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:46 am
Just Joined

hislopa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How would it work?

I have got my visa and I have approached my work about a transfer to Aus in my current role. My colleague and I provide 3rd line support for the companies intranet site as well project work. My colleague will be staying in the UK.

I have been asked to produce a paper on How it would work.... I am looking for good work reasons to be able to justify my move to Aus. For example:

How would I provide support during UK hours, I don't want to be nocturnal
What happens when UK colleague is sick or on holiday
etc etc..

Does anyone out there have experience of doing this? How does it work? Does it work?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:07 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How would it work?

Originally Posted by hislopa
I have got my visa and I have approached my work about a transfer to Aus in my current role. My colleague and I provide 3rd line support for the companies intranet site as well project work. My colleague will be staying in the UK.

I have been asked to produce a paper on How it would work.... I am looking for good work reasons to be able to justify my move to Aus. For example:

etc etc..

Does anyone out there have experience of doing this? How does it work? Does it work?

where i work we have a place in OZ, however they not really intersted as they can employe a citizen to do the job. The best way to get any organisation to commit to something like this is to offer them a financial saving. A cost down or something, not sure how you would do this but it's your best chance, i think rules change for transfers in JULY. check it out with someone "in the know"
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:58 am
Just Joined

walnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How would it work?

Originally Posted by hislopa

etc etc..

Hi, Can't say I am an expert but I have to put together business cases for internal projects at work, which looks similar to your situation. I would put together a power point presentation structured as follows:
1. Set the scene/context (outline the proposal and provide a summary justification)
2. Detail the operating model (team structure, reporting lines, how it would work, transition plan etc)
3. Costs & Benefits (both financial and non-financial). ie (what would happen if you left the company both in term of impact of you not being there, cost of hiring/training someone else? Does your intranet require 24 hour support or at least support during unsociable UK hours? If a problem/emergency change reported at 17:30 UK time would it normally have to wait to the next day whereas you could fix it immediately etc etc Regarding costs, is the company going to pay for your transfer, will you be on a (lesser) local Oz wage?
3. Risks & issues, with mitigating actions (natural tendency it to try and avoid evaluating and highlighting risks but someone will probably raise them. It would better to think about them up front and provide mitigating actions (ie if your UK counterpart is off ill then you could provide telephone support?))
4. Financials (add up all the costs and savings and provide a cumulative return on investment. Also detail alternative cost scenarios (ie you leaving). To calculate a cumulative return on investment add up the costs (if there are any) in year 1 then for each subsequent year in which there is a saving (which there hopefully will be if you are on a local wage) chip away at the initial investment until it reaches 0, this is your breakeven year. For instance if the costs were 10K in year 1 and the saving was 5K each year from year 2 your cumulative ROI would show a breakeven in year 3).

Hope that helps.