Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bayside 1 year on

Bayside 1 year on

Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Bayside 1 year on

on Sunday - but I can't wait until then - busy organising our celebration evening !

I'm not going to lament on the full years diary. I will only say we are extremely happy, the blood sweat and tears of the 'paper process' was certainly worth it. If you have children, the key to successful relocation is finding a good school where they are accepted and feel safe.
I'm so proud of the boys and how they have embraced and accepted what was essentially 'our decision' to move them across the world !

Life is what you make it, Australia is not the UK its a very laid back America (in my personal opinion) - embrace everything and live life to the full. Enjoy the fact that 'keeping up with the Jones' doesn't exist (in general) and life content does.

Queensland and its people obviously are different - to me there are extremely laid back, its too hot to go fast ! Very dry humoured - and what you see is what you get. Its certainly refreshing.

Its not cheap, wages in general are less and the cost of living is the same as UK. My main concern is the health, if you are healthy fine but you should make contingency plans for health/dental/optical bills, as well as having private insurance. To me, that is the main difference, in the UK you could live on the 'edge' monetary and get a way with it, here (OK if you are young) you will always need a few thousand in the bank for the unexpected.

The grass is always greener but it is just as hard to cut - so don't expect an easy ride - there is no such thing.

To all those waiting - good luck and hang in there - to all those here, isn't life just great !

SD.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Bayside 1 year on

Originally Posted by surfdude
to all those here, isn't life just great !

SD.
I can't argue with that

But it may not apply to everyone in Australia, maybe it's just the Bayside

We spent the last couple of days at Seaworld Nara Resort with some friends from Sydney, and they are now looking at moving up here to the relaxed QLD way of life.
One important comment from them was: "If we can get the right income in QLD we will be moving"

Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I can't argue with that

We spent the last couple of days at Seaworld Nara Resort with some friends from Sydney, and they are now looking at moving up here to the relaxed QLD way of life.
One important comment from them was: "If we can get the right income in QLD we will be moving"

They were right, that is the key to success or failure in Qld - good income and is it sustainable. Keeping fingers crossed it is !

Seaworld Nara is just great isn't it, did you use the pool table - hubby had to wait two hours to be thrashed by his wife in the public bar !
SD.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by surfdude
They were right, that is the key to success or failure in Qld - good income and is it sustainable. Keeping fingers crossed it is !

Seaworld Nara is just great isn't it, did you use the pool table - hubby had to wait two hours to be thrashed by his wife in the public bar !
SD.
It was quiet, almost empty, always able to get a shaded spot at the pool, and the pool table in the bar was vacant almost all the time

Did learm something interesting there. When we asked where the nearest pizza place was, the reception advised ringing Dominios who deliver there !!

So we sit by the pool area, while the kids swim, until the pizzas get delivered right to our table !! $24.95 for two big pizzas, orange drink and garlic bread, Delivered to the hotel swimming pool

Oh yes, and I saw my first Surfers Paradise Parking meter maid WOW
For those that don't know: http://www.abc.net.au/goldcoast/stories/s1340441.htm

Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:00 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Nah, dont think so

Glad to hear you're doing so well though Surfdude, just goes to show that a positive attitude and an open-mind goes a long way while immigrating. Hope you're next 12months are just as good
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:49 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Great to hear you're all enjoying your new life after all the hard work in getting here.

A balanced post with the challenges of real life in Aus included.

Long may your happiness last and good luck for your future

Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:12 am
sula

Its not cheap, wages in general are less and the cost of living is the same as UK. My main concern is the health, if you are healthy fine but you should make contingency plans for health/dental/optical bills, as well as having private insurance. To me, that is the main difference, in the UK you could live on the 'edge' monetary and get a way with it, here (OK if you are young) you will always need a few thousand in the bank for the unexpected.

The grass is always greener but it is just as hard to cut - so don't expect an easy ride - there is no such thing.

Good advice!
Sula

Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post and glad to hear its going well for you.Great to hear your boys are settled.
"The grass is always greener but just as hard to cut"
I shall bear that one in mind.Does make you think doesn't it.
And yes this is probably very true.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:36 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Great post and glad to hear its going well for you.Great to hear your boys are settled.
"The grass is always greener but just as hard to cut"
I shall bear that one in mind.Does make you think doesn't it.
And yes this is probably very true.
I cant wait to get a ticket from one of those meter maids - hubba hubba !!!

Oh yeah - and it's good to hear you are doing well !!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Fantastic post, very interesting medical point...can't wait to join you all in Bayside later in the year..

Just out of interest how old are your boys and which school are they going to. We are in the process of adding our 4 year olds name to preschool lists for January, but would like some recommendations...

Unsure where we'll be living, depends on whats available to rent when we arrive but don't want to miss the boat on a precious preschool place.

Many thanks
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

astonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura about

Actually the maids STOP you getting a ticket by putting coins in expired meters for free.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Fantastic post, very interesting medical point...can't wait to join you all in Bayside later in the year..

Just out of interest how old are your boys and which school are they going to. We are in the process of adding our 4 year olds name to preschool lists for January, but would like some recommendations...

Unsure where we'll be living, depends on whats available to rent when we arrive but don't want to miss the boat on a precious preschool place.

Many thanks

My boys are 10 and 14, so slightly older than your child ! They go to Sheldon College, can't praise it enough. Do a search on the forum, there are many threads on this subject.

There are plenty of places to rent in the area and it is great to see the ocean every day (well its more like a glass lake than rolling surf !)

Good luck with everything,
SD.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:45 am
Badge

Originally Posted by astonished
Actually the maids STOP you getting a ticket by putting coins in expired meters for free.
who funds this? (Its a serious q)

Badge

Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your happiness - long may it continue.....
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

NorthernLass is on a distinguished road

Hiya SurfDude! What Bayside suburb are you living in?? We are hoping to head that way early next year. Nice to hear some real positive feedback!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.