Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to Withdraw Super

How to Withdraw Super

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 11:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Withdraw Super

The back of the "Outgoing passenger" card you fill in when going outbound at the airport says that you can laim your super money back.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...epartaustralia

is the reference it points you to.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

Without wishing to hijack this thread, can anyone advise whether it is possible for one to return to Australia after departing part-way through their 457 working visa?

We left Australia for family reasons recently, and without going into a whole string of "whys?", and "hows?", may possibly be looking to return there in the future- probably not for another year at least.

As long as one finds a sponsor for the 457, is it possible, or is there some kind of "cooling-off", period before you can re-apply etc?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomE
Without wishing to hijack this thread, can anyone advise whether it is possible for one to return to Australia after departing part-way through their 457 working visa?

We left Australia for family reasons recently, and without going into a whole string of "whys?", and "hows?", may possibly be looking to return there in the future- probably not for another year at least.

As long as one finds a sponsor for the 457, is it possible, or is there some kind of "cooling-off", period before you can re-apply etc?
Yes you can reapply if you meet all the criteria, no there is no "cooling off period"
Old Oct 8th 2012, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Joy.Please has a spectacular aura aboutJoy.Please has a spectacular aura aboutJoy.Please has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by newjersey
It seems that you are moving back in, so if you want to start your PR from lying to the government, go ahead.
What negativity ! The OP is fully justified in asking for his super back - it is his money. He has paid his taxes while he worked in Oz and might not want to (surpise surprise !) claim any social security from Australian govt.

OP, now that you are a PR(though not yet activated), you probably can't withdraw super till retirement age. That's what I understood from the following link (refer the 'temporary resident' section) -

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/19155.htm

Last edited by Joy.Please; Oct 8th 2012 at 10:17 am.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:38 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joy.Please
What negativity ! The OP is fully justified in asking for his super back - it is his money. He has paid his taxes while he worked in Oz and might not want to (surpise surprise !) claim any social security from Australian govt.

OP, now that you are a PR(though not yet activated), you probably can't withdraw super till retirement age. That's what I understood from the following link (refer the 'temporary resident' section) -

He is only entitled to have it back if he is not a permanent resident (or citizen) of Australia.
If he had sorted it after the 457 was cancelled, and before getting PR that would be fine. His PR has been granted, proving there is no intent to permanently depart Australia - hence he is not entitled to withdraw his super.
It has nothing to do with wanting to claim social security from the Aus Govt, that is totally unrelated to a Super fund.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you should understand better what super is before commenting. It certainly has nothing to do with social security! It is his personal retirement fund and it is wise to save up for ones old age.

It is good that Australia tries to ensure that people do this, because not everybody takes responsibility to do so themselves.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

vr4indian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Thank you all for your suggestion. I got message that I cant withdraw my super. However, it been disheartning to see the way certain group of people are interpreting questions while answering.

Basically, if you think it is dumb question, please delete post or reduce priority before unleashing your knowledge with lot of 'undesirable' attitude.

Thank you again for help so far.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vr4indian
Hi All

Thank you all for your suggestion. I got message that I cant withdraw my super. However, it been disheartning to see the way certain group of people are interpreting questions while answering.

Basically, if you think it is dumb question, please delete post or reduce priority before unleashing your knowledge with lot of 'undesirable' attitude.

I have no idea what you mean, you have received a lot of factual responses. If you want a particular type of response, then don't ask questions on an internet forum.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by vr4indian
Hi All

No-one will delete the post, it is asking for assistance and thats what the forum is for.
No-one can "reduce priority"as it has the same priority as every other post on here.
Its a public forum and you have been given straight answers. If this is not what you wanted maybe you should consult a financial advisor and pay for a private consultation instead.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Joy.Please has a spectacular aura aboutJoy.Please has a spectacular aura aboutJoy.Please has a spectacular aura about

Didn't check back BE - hence delayed response.

Social security is very much related to the Super fund. I am surprised Bermuda Shorts (who I guess is an Accountant) also is questioning this.

Social security is formed of 3 pillars usually - State provided support (Old age pension in Australia), Occupational accumulation (Super fund in Australia) and finally, Privately funded income (privately purchased annuities).

Australian govt. is encouraging 2nd and 3rd pillars to reduce burden on the 1st pillar. That is why Australian govt. prohibits withdrawal of Super fund before preservation age. Otherwise people would withdraw, exhaust the money and come to the govt. for Old Age pension.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It has nothing to do with wanting to claim social security from the Aus Govt, that is totally unrelated to a Super fund.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

My understanding is sound - see my response to Pollyana.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Perhaps you should understand better what super is before commenting. It certainly has nothing to do with social security!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My understanding is sound - see my response to Pollyana.
No it isn't as you have demonstrated again.

Your knowledge of what an accountant does is not too hot either.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

You sure are hot.

Hot headed, I mean

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Your knowledge of what an accountant does is not too hot either.