Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How will the floods affect $

How will the floods affect $

Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How will the floods affect $

it's where the funding comes from is the issue, state Government could be bankrupted by such an event.

I read a long while ago now that Katrina was a factor in the USA financial crisis build up.

Love the good old aussie positive attitude but life has been going on here in a "we're not in resession" bubble for last 2 years and eventually there is going to be a pop.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:25 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

My crystal ball says that during 2011 there will be some bad-ish news out of Australia and some good-ish news out of the U.K. and that by end 2011 we may see £1.00 = $2.00.

I wonder.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
My crystal ball says that during 2011 there will be some bad-ish news out of Australia and some good-ish news out of the U.K. and that by end 2011 we may see £1.00 = $2.00.

I wonder.
I have a similar feeling. So many of the indexes published show various sectors of the economy contracting although unemployment is still falling. Meanwhile in the UK you see things like manufacturing expanding at the fastest rate for many years. I too think the pound will recover a bit this year.

As for the floods - sure some sectors will benefit financially but the govt coffers will also be substantially depleted - less to spend elsewhere.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Planning to move to move to Australia in summer, should i exchange money now or wait ?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:46 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

First off, I have no expertise in this...sooo..read with caution. I think the pound may dip a bit again but there may be a slow rise after that. Very slow. Just keep an eye on it and see what is going on. I think we all hope that by summer it will be better.

Or, you could do some now, some later?

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Jan 13th 2011 at 12:00 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

yeah that might be an idea, some now some later...
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:06 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon your right Boyle
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I have a similar feeling. So many of the indexes published show various sectors of the economy contracting although unemployment is still falling. Meanwhile in the UK you see things like manufacturing expanding at the fastest rate for many years. I too think the pound will recover a bit this year.

As for the floods - sure some sectors will benefit financially but the govt coffers will also be substantially depleted - less to spend elsewhere.
I do too, although it could just be wishful thinking, several sources are suggesting interest rate rises for the UK in the 2nd half of 2011 which should be positive for the pound. The outlook for Aus rates seems to be stablising and less increases than previously thought could happen, which would also help Aus mortgage payers.

Again for the floods, its too early to say but the loss of exports may be more significant to the dollar than the rebuilding cost.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

They are talking about the floods being very inflationary (tradie wages, food etc). Coupled with low unemployment does this mean the reserve will increase interest rates in an attempt to dampen inflation? If so, then those higher interest rates would increase the value of the aussie dollar?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:47 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
They are talking about the floods being very inflationary (tradie wages, food etc). Coupled with low unemployment does this mean the reserve will increase interest rates in an attempt to dampen inflation? If so, then those higher interest rates would increase the value of the aussie dollar?
I saw something last night that said that the interest rate is more than likely to stay untouched rather than the expected rise in Feb...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I saw something last night that said that the interest rate is more than likely to stay untouched rather than the expected rise in Feb...
Yeah I imagine that would be the case now with the disaster just happened but maybe when inflation starts shooting up...?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:33 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Inflation due to scarcity of food, labour and services will surely only be a localised thing?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Inflation due to scarcity of food, labour and services will surely only be a localised thing?
Somewhat but not totally - limited labour means all states will have to pay more to retain/attract tradespeople from other states/immigrants. Limited fresh food means all states will have to pay more.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Somewhat but not totally - limited labour means all states will have to pay more to retain/attract tradespeople from other states/immigrants. Limited fresh food means all states will have to pay more.
I think thats the ripple effect will be country wide. Especially as I believe Canarvon to be flooded (banana plantations there are huge!) My cousin has a 30,000 hc farm in Donald, their crops are gone, and their house isnt doing too well either...Its NOT just QLD thats copping it thats for sure...and thats just a couple of small things...link them together....
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hevs
I think thats the ripple effect will be country wide. Especially as I believe Canarvon to be flooded (banana plantations there are huge!) My cousin has a 30,000 hc farm in Donald, their crops are gone, and their house isnt doing too well either...Its NOT just QLD thats copping it thats for sure...and thats just a couple of small things...link them together....
Yeah I agree. If QLD/NSW can't supply its quota of fruit and veg all Australia will be short not just flooded areas. If Brisbane requires hundreds of extra tradies then other markets will lose some and that will drive up wages.