Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to watch UK programs in Oz?

How to watch UK programs in Oz?

Old Dec 25th 2010, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to watch UK programs in Oz?

Originally Posted by Tellyaddict
I have just downloaded Expat Shield and it is free. Seems to work ok.

Can anyone tell me how many GB I will need to watch maybe an hour night of BBC Iplayer? Do you use less if you live stream or is it better to download the programmes?

If you can help please could you reply in laymans terms as I am not really into computer jargon

Thanks
I've found iPlayer is about 0.5GB per hour, downloading rather than streaming can be a little less maybe 0.3GB per hour, depending on the method used to encode the show HD make a huge difference to the file size.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by freebo
I've found iPlayer is about 0.5GB per hour, downloading rather than streaming can be a little less maybe 0.3GB per hour, depending on the method used to encode the show HD make a huge difference to the file size.
Thanks Freebo
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tellyaddict
I have just downloaded Expat Shield and it is free. Seems to work ok.

Can anyone tell me how many GB I will need to watch maybe an hour night of BBC Iplayer? Do you use less if you live stream or is it better to download the programmes?

If you can help please could you reply in laymans terms as I am not really into computer jargon

Thanks
We have this downloaded too and it seems great - have watched all the Christmas Specials of the soaps, Royle Family etc with no probs.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Melbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really nice

Hi,

I have just downloaded the expat shield as well and have been able to watch iplayer for the bbc and also itv's programmes online but it doesn't seem to work for the channel 4 content.

Anybody else have this problem?

Also is it possible to watch this on your tv rather than on the computer?

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by Melbourne bound Mark
Hi,

I have just downloaded the expat shield as well and have been able to watch iplayer for the bbc and also itv's programmes online but it doesn't seem to work for the channel 4 content.

Anybody else have this problem?

Also is it possible to watch this on your tv rather than on the computer?

Cheers,
Mark.
I have not tried Channel 4 yet but I have been and bought a monitor lead and a sound lead so that I can watch it on the TV rather than the lap top screen. Haven't tied it out yet though - will do tonight to watch the Benidorm Christmas special. Will let you know how I go.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting stutter with it... plus it was channel 4OD I was after, which I can confirm doesnt work.

Not sure why I'm getting stutter.... I'm supposed to have a 24 Mbs connection, which I've just tested at 16.5 Mbs.

Why would BBC and ITV work and not 4OD ?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 5:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
We have this downloaded too and it seems great - have watched all the Christmas Specials of the soaps, Royle Family etc with no probs.
Me too, off now to watch Little Britain 1 and 2 and Catherine Tate Christmas special (from last year) on the BBC player. My daughter is getting rid of Austar in the New Year so I downloaded it for her this morning and told her how to get her Corrie fix for free.

A few annoying pop up ads, but you can't complain as the programme is free. I actually get a better connection now than I did with Identity Cloaker.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Melbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really niceMelbourne bound Mark is just really nice

Any techies have any idea why a few of us can't access channel 4 online even with the expat shield on?

Anybody able to access it with a different vpn?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Any techies have any idea why a few of us can't access channel 4 online even with the expat shield on?

Anybody able to access it with a different vpn?
Not sure about Expat Shield but 4OD on PS3 works using my VPN (hideipvpn).
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi Freebo,

as I mentioned I am a bit of a tech muppet but does what you say mean you can watch the programmes on your tv this way through your PS3?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Freebo,

just been on youtube to try and work out what to do and found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS24z9XguEI

Is this what you mean so that you need a cable from your PS3 through your computer to enable the PS3 to access the internet via the VPN on the PC?

I was hoping there was a way to do this without wires but didn't see anything on there to do this?

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

golgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nice

I have been using these guys for the last two years and have had no problem with them at all:

http://www.lamnia.co.uk/

Also they are uk based
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Freebo,

just been on youtube to try and work out what to do and found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS24z9XguEI

Is this what you mean so that you need a cable from your PS3 through your computer to enable the PS3 to access the internet via the VPN on the PC?

I was hoping there was a way to do this without wires but didn't see anything on there to do this?

Cheers,
Mark.
Hi,
If you have a wireless connection to your PS3 you then need to run a proxy server on your PC and then point the PS3 at this, its not totally straightforward, I did a post on it a while ago, will see if I can find it.

EDIT - Post 7 - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697033
Old Dec 30th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Freebo,

I am probably being a bit thick here (I'm not the best on computers) but does this mean there is a wired or wireless connection from the PC to the PS3?

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up on expat shield - I was able to show the DH a news item that he hadnt been able to see before which was great. However, I have uninstalled it - doesnt the constant ad banner at the top of every page and the erratic flicking back to their home page get on anyone else's nerves? I would dearly love to catch up with some of the programs but the erratic nature of it began to bug me very quickly - was I doing something wrong and could have turned it off when I didnt need it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.