Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How un-Australian is this?

How un-Australian is this?

Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default How un-Australian is this?

You know when you read the guidebooks or anything about Aussie culture you are always reminded about the sanctity of the "shout".

Anyway, last week about 40 of us went for our Christmas meal at the Witches Cauldron in Subi ($36 set lunchtime menu, very nice!) we paid for the food and the boss told us the company would be covering the wine, beer and soft drinks.

Monday comes around and the boss has circulated an email saying the drinks bill was higher than anticipated so could anyone who had beer please make a contribution.

Wine drinkers didn't have to stump up, just the people who had beer, no one got pissed, I just had 4 stubbies of Rogers (mid strength).

Our office stormtrooper came around with a tin to get contributions off everyone (regardless of what they drank) and only me and another Pommie refused to cough up - on principle.

As usual all the Aussies rolled over and took the shit and it was down to the Pommies to make a stand, just like when we went on strike last year.

So, offering to buy a round and then asking for contributions afterwards because it was more expensive than you thought it would be - how un Australian is that?
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How un-Australian is this?

I can't believe they made you pay for your meal as well, that's ridiculous.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I can't believe they made you pay for your meal as well, that's ridiculous.

It's all to to with the fringe benefits tax
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:27 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Good job you didn't have your office do in The Belgian Bar on Murray St!
With the prices in there, your office stormtrooper would have been buzzing round with his Black & Decker, sawing your arms & legs off...!!!!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:30 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

That's just rude!!

Siren
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's quite silly.
Don't know about un-australian, cos I never know what's australian and what's not

We're not have a real christmas do at all.

All us girls here have organised everybody to bring a plate next Tuesday for lunch. That's it.

Pascal however is going to York to skidive, and have lunch. Only 3 of them though.
I'm invited too, and also Pascal's parents who arrive on Tuesday.
I'm not going to skidive but will have lunch, and visit York while we're there! That's next Wednesday.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:53 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
It's all to to with the fringe benefits tax
Yep, originally we were going to be asked to buy our own drinks for that reason, then we decide 'what the 'eck', hired a couple of limos, booked out a private room in a restaurant and are going to an exclusive vodka room afterwards (the type that are 5C and they give you the russian fur hat and coat to wear). Much more my style
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:54 am
Badge

My view is that there was a stuff up. It happens.

If there was a cry for help, and my colleagues helped, then I would help, rightly or wrongly.

If one of my colleague(s) carried the can, I would help to carry the can, rightly or wrongly. Within reason. I'm not advocating you all admit to war crimes.

If I felt myself and a another Pommy wasn't cooperating then it would look like a pattern developing and I'd expect to cop it. (Just kidding - I'm sure this was a fluke)

Doesn't make it perfect or right.

It all depends on the exact situation. My mob are pretty generous about all that.

BM

Last edited by Badge; Dec 14th 2004 at 2:57 am.

Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:06 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

You know when you read the guidebooks or anything about Aussie culture you are always reminded about the sanctity of the "shout".

Anyway, last week about 40 of us went for our Christmas meal at the Witches Cauldron in Subi ($36 set lunchtime menu, very nice!) we paid for the food and the boss told us the company would be covering the wine, beer and soft drinks.

Monday comes around and the boss has circulated an email saying the drinks bill was higher than anticipated so could anyone who had beer please make a contribution.

Wine drinkers didn't have to stump up, just the people who had beer, no one got pissed, I just had 4 stubbies of Rogers (mid strength).

Our office stormtrooper came around with a tin to get contributions off everyone (regardless of what they drank) and only me and another Pommie refused to cough up - on principle.

As usual all the Aussies rolled over and took the shit and it was down to the Pommies to make a stand, just like when we went on strike last year.

So, offering to buy a round and then asking for contributions afterwards because it was more expensive than you thought it would be - how un Australian is that?

Went for dinner at that place a few months back after hearing it had a good reputation, what a let down, it was rank, way way overpriced, the food was crap, the wait staff were all kids.... it reminded me of some dodgy family run english beefeeter that was serving up processed slop and trying to pass it off as something half decent.
It was more expensive than the Red Herring or Oceanus and you wouldnt even put it in the category below these sort of places....
Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:09 am
Badge

Lets face it, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.
It's ''unAustralian'' to help out, its ''unAustralian'' to not shout.

But stuff-ups happen, all depends on how tight knit the team is, and what the dept budget is.

Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:23 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Went for dinner at that place a few months back after hearing it had a good reputation, what a let down, it was rank, way way overpriced, the food was crap, the wait staff were all kids.... it reminded me of some dodgy family run english beefeeter that was serving up processed slop and trying to pass it off as something half decent.
It was more expensive than the Red Herring or Oceanus and you wouldnt even put it in the category below these sort of places....
My bestfriend's brother is a waiter there. He's about 24 I think

Haven't been there myself, but lots of people I know liked it.
Must go check it out myself one day

Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:12 am
(It's not my real name)

Maybe you went on the chef's day off.

It was a relief to finally get to a decent restaurant, I've tried most of the ones at Hilllary's and they have all been very poor. The last time I went to the Italian Cafe I got food poisoning.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:59 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a relief to finally get to a decent restaurant, I've tried most of the ones at Hilllary's and they have all been very poor. The last time I went to the Italian Cafe I got food poisoning.
Must of done, I wont be rushing back though

Have you given the Trigg Island Cafe a go? its not too much further down the coast than Hillary's for you, I can recommend the Ribs and Calamari as a main, its a monster portion. Great View too, you'll need to book for around sunset time.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:45 am
(It's not my real name)

Must of done, I wont be rushing back though

Have you given the Trigg Island Cafe a go? its not too much further down the coast than Hillary's for you, I can recommend the Ribs and Calamari as a main, its a monster portion. Great View too, you'll need to book for around sunset time.
I wasn't too impressed with Trigg Island Cafe. The highlight of the evening was stoned naked teenagers streaking past the restaurant.

The two best eateries I've been to in Perth - Balthazar and the Old Swan Brewery.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Hands up! How many people have got food poisoning in Oz? I've had it three bloody times now and I'm getting paranoid about eating out AND take aways. If you can't trust Pizza Hut who can you trust? The only place I've been to a few times where I didn't get it and can't hope to get it was the Sheraton Towers, also the Shark Inn, but only the one in the city, the other one in the SE subs was a dive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.