Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How soon can I get a mortgage?

How soon can I get a mortgage?

Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice
Default How soon can I get a mortgage?

I'm arriving in Brisbane at the end of the month and will be staying with relatives for the short term (as short as possible). I did plan to rent for 6 months or so before buying, but I'm getting put of this idea because or the ever increasing property market and I've already been off the property ladder (in the UK) for almost a year.

I will have the immediate funds for around a 30% deposit with further funds to pay off a further 20% in June 2008 (when my $100K bond is released), plus I have a job which I start almost immediately after arriving.

All this considered, would I be able to get a mortgage straight away? and would I get a decent deal e.g. not pay a higher rate than everyone else.

cheers
showdan
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon can I get a mortgage?

Hi Showdan,

I think generally you will only need 3 months of payslips as evidence to secure finance...which will also probably coincide with the end of the probationary period of your employment in Oz.

For the sake of 3 months I'd stick it out and avoid rushing into a low doc home loan (if you can get one) which may involve a higher interest rate.

I'd speak to a broker when you arrive though......I can put you in touch with a very well regarded one in Brisbane if you want to PM for his details......with equity like you have I'm sure he'd be more than happy to introduce you to the Ozzie phenomenon of the investment property or 10!!

Cheers,

Bazza
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

devilishdean will become famous soon enoughdevilishdean will become famous soon enough

We have been here 2 1/2 months and got a mortgage the day I started my first job. We had ben in Australia 3 weeks We just self certified and use a loan advisor. She got us a great deal. We have actually become quite friendly with her now so if you need any help when you get hear send me a PM and I will forward her details.
Best of luck with everything
Old Jul 15th 2007, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We got a morgage straight away. But we did have a big deposit.

If you are working they will want pay slips so you should be fine. I am self-employed and had to through Rams low doc who charge a high interest rate, but got rid of them now i am up and running.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 10:35 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

We are banking with Westpac and they told us as long as we have a 20% deposite we could borrow straight away.

We are renting for 6 months so we can be sure where we want to be before buying.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by showdan
All this considered, would I be able to get a mortgage straight away? and would I get a decent deal e.g. not pay a higher rate than everyone else.
G'day

Don't think you get one straight away, you'll need one or two payslips first. As long as you're doing the same sort of work as you did in the UK you should not pay more that 7.4% which is probably cheaper than many folks.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:31 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i got a 95% mortgage on a part time income with three months of pay slips...
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Default another mortgage question

As a temp spouse visa holder is there any rule saying on how much of a loan you can have ie: 80% of the loan?
Cheers Lorri
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of
Default Re: another mortgage question

Originally Posted by supersonic4
As a temp spouse visa holder is there any rule saying on how much of a loan you can have ie: 80% of the loan?
Cheers Lorri
Yup,

Banks are not allowed to lend more than 80% to temporary visa holders, overseas residents, etc. Some banks will limit the loan to 70%.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

I got a mortgage with only two weeks payslips as long as i wasnt on a trial period. My partner was the same. Bankwest, we did have a resonable deposit though, not sure if that made a difference, good luck though
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
Yup,

Banks are not allowed to lend more than 80% to temporary visa holders, overseas residents, etc. Some banks will limit the loan to 70%.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Thanks Bob,thats the thing that annoys me the most,other types of visas can get pr straight away,its not fair that spouses are classed as temp.What about the spouses of the others they don't get looked at like they are some kind of crim,and made to suffer for it,what with not being able to apply for some jobs ,having to have 20% deposit and heaps of other things that come up,people think you are some sort of fly by night if you are a temp visa.
Rant over for now.
Cheeers Lorri
Ps I wish we did have 20% deposit but....... nope.

Last edited by supersonic4; Jul 17th 2007 at 7:16 am. Reason: more stuff
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
Yup,

I don't know where you get the idea that they are "not allowed to" but I can tell you that you are wrong - there is no such law.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob,thats the thing that annoys me the most,other types of visas can get pr straight away,its not fair that spouses are classed as temp.What about the spouses of the others they don't get looked at like they are some kind of crim,and made to suffer for it,what with not being able to apply for some jobs ,having to have 20% deposit and heaps of other things that come up,people think you are some sort of fly by night if you are a temp visa.
Need to set a few facts straight.

Firstly, not all spouse visas are temporary. Those in long term relationships get PR straight away.

Secondly, the reason the temp spouse visa was introduced in 1996 was to deal with the number of bogus marriages.

Thirdly, there is absolutely no obligation to go for the temporary spouse visa if you can qualify for a skilled PR visa instead.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Rant over for now.
Cheeers Lorri
Ps I wish we did have 20% deposit but....... nope.

If your OH is an Australian then I can't see you'll have a problem anyway
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

scallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simba
We are banking with Westpac and they told us as long as we have a 20% deposit we could borrow straight away.

We are renting for 6 months so we can be sure where we want to be before buying.
Same info was given to us by Westpac, in the end we waited to find the right place but the in principle agreement happened on day one of my job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.