Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to reduce living costs?

How to reduce living costs?

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default How to reduce living costs?

We are struggling to survive on my meagre income in Sydney. Rent alone is taking away bulk of my pay. I was wondering if I could reduce my living expenses by moving to some other city/region/state? I work for a omnipresent retail chain and it might be possible to carry my job with me on the same scanty pay. We are a family of 3 with a child. I will appreciate any practical suggestion you may have.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to reduce living costs?

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
We are struggling to survive on my meagre income in Sydney. Rent alone is taking away bulk of my pay. I was wondering if I could reduce my living expenses by moving to some other city/region/state? I work for a omnipresent retail chain and it might be possible to carry my job with me on the same scanty pay. We are a family of 3 with a child. I will appreciate any practical suggestion you may have.
You yourself have made a very practical suggestion.... get the Hell out of Sydney. If you can maintain a similar sort of salary then move to a cheaper part of Australia. Just look South to the Gong, see what rental prices are like in comparison to where you are now and then judge if it's a route out.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It is a bit of a no brainer that there are places cheaper than Sydney. The salary you currently have might have a Sydney weighting but I shouldn't think it covers the extra accommodation costs that you incur here. If Sydney is not financially viable then moving seems like a sensible option.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons I left Sydney many moons ago, it was lovely living there but I thought this is not for the long haul. I thought once I marry we may have to move to those "suburbs" and not for me. So up stakes with a couple of friends and move to Melbourne, best thing I ever did.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful looking to move out of Sydney if you are still within your lease or you may be liable for rent for the rest of the rental period. I think from memory you are new to Sydney.

Reducing costs - We've noticed a massive difference in prices in the same chain shops in different parts of sydney, so we stick to going to one we know is cheaper rather than just going to one on the way home from work/friends etc. We buy our meat/fruit/veg/fish from individual shops rather than the supermarket - generally slightly cheaper and loads better quality.

Last edited by Bikergirl; Dec 4th 2011 at 12:31 am.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

If you do move city then secure a job first in the new city before moving. Budget for moving costs too.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Shop around for fruit/veggies & meat. I buy steak in bulk at around $10 a kilo for sirlion which would be double that in coles/woolies. Additionally we buy fruit & veggies in season and bulk. By buying potatoes in 10kg bags I pay less that 90c a kilo and a kilo bag of peppers costs me $2 rather than $5 to $7 loose in Woolies. This is all in inner Sydney which I've noticed in more expensive than outer Sydney (local greengrocers not Woolies).

With rent costs is there a cheaper area a bit further out? Living on the train line so just buying a train travel card rather than a my zone can also save $20 a week.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Omnipresent retail chain? If you are suggesting something like a Harvey Norman or the likes perhaps you could get a transfer to the Gong, Newcastle or Central Coast and stay on the same salary.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

As dumb as it sounds: Try to cut your transportation costs...
Means: Think twice about your car(s), etc....
This often helps...
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

After four years, we have decided Sydney is just a rat race. Australia has so much more to offer than Sydney. Time for a lifestyle choice my friend.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

You'll certainly reduce your costs by leaving Sydney - and very possibly have a nicer life too, I saw a statistic that a great number of immigrants who go to Sydney move on fairly quickly.

Any possibility you could also increase your income? If you came on a skilled visa I'm guessing it wasn't for retail?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coldbeer
You'll certainly reduce your costs by leaving Sydney - and very possibly have a nicer life too, I saw a statistic that a great number of immigrants who go to Sydney move on fairly quickly.

Any possibility you could also increase your income? If you came on a skilled visa I'm guessing it wasn't for retail?
i'd be curious to see that statistic, because based on the ever expanding feeling of Sydney, the congestion and the escalating rent/house costs, I dont believe it.

to cut costs, its the obvious things that you've already thought of I'm afraid. there is no black art to it.
  • move to a suburb further out
  • send the wife to work
  • buy in bulk from places like costco
  • order things online from US/Euro while its cheaper
  • say no to treats every now and then
  • change jobs. most substantial payrises I have had come from changing jobs not waiting to be promoted.
  • sell kidney
  • ebay everythign that is not nailed down
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering if I could reduce my living expenses by moving to some other city/region/state?
From previous posts you've made, you're on a state-sponsored 176 and recently moved here - you might not get much support on this forum if you seriously look at moving states before your initial 2 years is up.
We are a family of 3 with a child. I will appreciate any practical suggestion you may have.
Are you claiming Family Assistance payments? The 2 year waiting period does not apply for PRs with family payments, which means you might be able to get some government payments to help.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by In Exile
i'd be curious to see that statistic, because based on the ever expanding feeling of Sydney, the congestion and the escalating rent/house costs, I dont believe it.
It was in the SMH - I can't find the exact article for now - but this paints a similar picture.

Certainly we arrived in Sydney and left within a year (even with a joint income of the mid 200's). We're much happier out of Sydney, apart from the stunning harbour I didn't really enjoy living there, for some of the reasons you listed, and some others.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:50 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if it applies to you, but the biggest expense of living in Oz in the burbs is two plus cars. Definitely try to get by on one if you're a two-car family. Some inconvenience, but for a lot of young-ish families I know it's the difference between living beyond your means or just within.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.