Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to Open a Common Wealth Bank Acc in UK

How to Open a Common Wealth Bank Acc in UK

Old May 13th 2003, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all
Talking How to Open a Common Wealth Bank Acc in UK

Hi All

I've managed to clear up some questions I had with regard to opening up a Common Wealth Bank Account and thought I'd share this with the forum although I realise some of you know this stuff already.

First of all the telephone number for the Common Wealth Bank London is 020 7710 3990.

Funds can be deposited in sterling but this must be confirmed when opening the account and later (when the exchange rate is more favourable) can be converted to AUD. Only interest accrued is taxable by the Australian tax office. As yet I am unsure of the current interest rate.

We intend depositing the proceeds from the sale of our house come September 03 (hopefully, if it sells - only went on the market last week).

The charming 'Australian' chappie confirmed the above and will be sending me details and applications by post today.

Any contributions or corrections to the above would be gratefully received from those in the 'know'.
Old May 13th 2003, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to Open a Common Wealth Bank Acc in UK

Just a quick point to add to the above.

If you don't advise them BEFORE you deposit sterling into the account it will be automatically converted into Australian Dollars at the prevailing rate at that precise time.

Cheers

Kev
Old May 13th 2003, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

We found it just as easy to take a bankers draft i $ and open the bank account when we got there.
Old May 13th 2003, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point

For every transaction less than £30k, don't they charge £15?

Regards
Old May 13th 2003, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the forms to open a bank account with Commonwealth Bank and would like to get this set up before I go to Adelaide (yehhh) in 2 months (sweat, sweat!!) but in the forms they ask for passport (no problemo) and 2 utility bills with name and address on. Trouble is I have been living in rented accommodation and my name isn't on bills and so don't have these. Anyone overcome this problem.

Elaine
Old May 13th 2003, 1:17 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by grubelice
I have the forms to open a bank account with Commonwealth Bank and would like to get this set up before I go to Adelaide (yehhh) in 2 months (sweat, sweat!!) but in the forms they ask for passport (no problemo) and 2 utility bills with name and address on. Trouble is I have been living in rented accommodation and my name isn't on bills and so don't have these. Anyone overcome this problem.

Elaine

They normally take credit card bill instead or anything else monthly/quarterly that you pay at that address.