Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How often do you visit?

How often do you visit?

Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

mel.b will become famous soon enoughmel.b will become famous soon enough
Question How often do you visit?

I'm wondering how often people return to their home country to visit family. I moved from Australia to Ireland in Nov 2007 and have had 3 visits back to OZ - the first in Dec 2008 and then in March 2010 (for my sisters wedding) and again in October 2010 (to visit my first nephew).

I'm really close to my parents and we would speak regularly on the phone and my mum has come over here for a holiday (and is coming again in Sept). I wouldn't be as close (ie have long chats) to my brother and sister but would keep in touch via texts and facebook. Family is important to me and my first nephew was born in Oct 2010 and my first niece in March 2011 but I've not yet met my niece.

I'm really debating about my next trip back. Part of me wants to go home - either at Christmas or maybe in march for my birthday and also my niece's 1st birthday, but the other part of me wants to save the money as I am saving to buy a house

I know my niece and nephew won't remember if i was there for Christmas / birthday but I will...

So how often do you return to visit family, and if you were single and didn't have to pay for airfares for the whole family would you go more often than what you can / do currently?

Cheers,
Mel.b
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you visit?

We have no plans to go back for at least the next 12 months and probably longer so that will be maybe 2.5 to 3 years since we were there. We are meeting up with family in Las Vegas for Christmas though. We agreed we would like a family visit at least every two years.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:35 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

At least once a year. More if there's something going on (e.g., wedding) and last year three times - and for extended trips - because I had family emergencies, death, etc., to deal with.

It's the most expensive "holiday" of our year and quite stressful but it has to be done. Family is family and I love them, whatever they've put me through

My Dad and sister can't travel here otherwise I would send tickets and let them have the jetlag occasionally.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

We have been here for 5 years. I have been back once (3 years ago) for my grandmother's funeral and it was such a short visit (6 days) cos thats all the time my husband could get off from work at the time to look after the kids.

We are planning to go back next year for a visit.

It works out so expensive (we have 4 kids).

Most of the family have been over to stay with us, we have had family here every christmas. They ususally stay between 2 weeks to 2 months.

I would like to go back more often though, its just the money that stops me.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:44 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 3.5 years and we're going back for our first visit in September.

Other than family emergencies, I don't know if we'd particularly go back again after that, at least not while our parents are able to travel out here to see us.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been back in almost 4:5 years been here cause it's too expenive for 5 to go for a visit, also none of the family have come to visit us either & we are suppose to be very close too.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

In 30 years I've been back 6 times - so that's approx every five years. Not really due to the cost of it. I want to see other parts
of the world, rather than spending all my holidays in the place I grew up.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:24 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Currently averaging 3.5 years. Would like to do it less often. Will definitely not go back at Christmas again. September is a much better time to visit the UK.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:30 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Once in 6.5 years.
No plans for a trip.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Back to UK once or twice a year - usually about 9 months apart. Not often enough for my liking, I would much prefer 6/6 if I could
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:32 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
In 30 years I've been back 6 times - so that's approx every five years. Not really due to the cost of it. I want to see other parts
of the world, rather than spending all my holidays in the place I grew up.
I can certainly think of better places to go than Redcar and Swindon but it's the price I pay for being able to live a relatively normal life the other 50 weeks of the year.

(Incidentally, it's 18 years this week since I put my sister in a psych hospital - the first time.)
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting to see peoples different responses.

We have been here for nearly 5 yrs, went back once just 9 months from first arriving (got tickets subsidised by work). Haven't been back again.

Said we'd go last year, drove to Darwin instead.

Said maybe this year, driving to Broome instead.

So much to see here it's hard to justify going back to Peterborough to fight with the hourds in Tescos!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

...arrived permanently in Sep 2005.

Trips back Sep 2007, Xmas 2008, Xmas 2009...and coming up Aug 2011.

Family came here Xmas 2006.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Had 2 trips back every 2 years (in Summer), had to postpone this year due to finances ...

OH wants to do a Christmas trip but I'm trying to convince her that December in Kent is more of a Drizzly Wonderland.

Given the choice I'd bypass the UK and land in Galway for 2 weeks of diddly-dee and .

Given my family have not set foot on a plane bound for Oz I would not feel one bit guilty. My mates have though and I'd meet them in Galway
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:34 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 6 years and been back once. No plans for further trip unless emergency. I can think of better things to spend $10k on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.