Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much sunbathing do you all do??

How much sunbathing do you all do??

Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much sunbathing do you all do??

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham

get prescription glasses for sunnies here, they are a lot stronger and darker than UK ones. I bought my pair in Boots in UK and they were no use at all!!! Went to opticians here and have the biggest darkest pair I could get for $140!!! Well worth it.

Talking of burning the eyes we went to the beach a few weeks ago and I always put the coloured stuff under the kids eyes it was a very windy day, and they were in the sea all the time, I didnt re-apply the coloured stick stuff and OMG my poor kids eyes were burnt red underneath, that is the first time EVER, my kids have burnt , God did I feel guilty

The coloured stick stuff needs to be put onto ears as well, as there is a very hiigh amount of people with tops of ears missing due to skin cancer, (reckon thats why have the boys here have long hair), make sure if your litle boy or girl has short hair, sunblock is applied.

Kath
Dark sunglasses actually do more harm than good. The darkness causes your pupils to dilated, therefore letting in more UV rays. You should have just enough tint so you can see without squinting on a sunny day but someone looking at you should be able to see your eyes if looking at you. This will allow your pupils to constrict, which they are meant to do in high light conditions, and not let in as much of the sun's harmful rays.
20 years working in ophthalmology taught me a few things.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
but someone looking at you should be able to see your eyes if looking at you.
The problem with this is the women can see me looking at their tits, that's why I prefer the darker shades.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
The next day she looked like she had gone 3 rounds with Mike Tyson..,
Don't knock it. People used to get good money for just turning up.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:05 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
The problem with this is the women can see me looking at their tits, that's why I prefer the darker shades.

<choke>
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Happy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really niceHappy feet is just really nice
Smile Re: How much sunbathing do you all do??

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Think you'll find lots of Aussies avoid the sun as skin cancer isn't a good look! Big hole in the ozone over Aus, hence the high rates of skin cancer!
Hi everybody,
Its my first time on here
I dont find much time to sunbathe as I'm working or doing house work on my day off.
I always use plenty of suncream when I'm out and about so i dont end up looking like an old leather handbag in my old age
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I am a 'bum' man myself. Women as far as I know do not have eyes in the back of their heads. I know it seems that way sometimes.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Dark sunglasses actually do more harm than good. The darkness causes your pupils to dilated, therefore letting in more UV rays. You should have just enough tint so you can see without squinting on a sunny day but someone looking at you should be able to see your eyes if looking at you. This will allow your pupils to constrict, which they are meant to do in high light conditions, and not let in as much of the sun's harmful rays.

I know from talking to my optomotrist, that I'm covered for everyday conditions with my Clear hi density multi focal lenses. Apparently they are the highest density available at present, made in Japan, and cost over 400 bucks without the frames. Supposedly they stop at least 70 pct of UV rays coming through.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's why I am a 'bum' man myself. Women as far as I know do not have eyes in the back of their heads. I know it seems that way sometimes.
My Mrs tells me she has eyes in the back of her head and my little lad often says that his teacher is often reinforcing this fact!!!

Last edited by bigpaul; Feb 11th 2007 at 8:56 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
you sure about that??? I would think carefully before assuming too much about us women!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:05 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Yep .And wrap arounds.The safety sunnies we use at work are very handy when working in the city.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

LOL !!

Isn't this all about the difference between us Brits and the Aussies and the differing climate.
Brits sunbathe 'cos we never get it in the UK. Maybe for a day or so in August, so we spend thousands flying to the Canaries to lie in the sun for some "emergency tanning".
When it's out all the time (paradise !!) why lie in it??
I guess it's the same as anything (can't remember who said it) - when you can get something anytime, you don't want it. When you can't get it, it's all you think about.

Or something..........
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tofster
LOL !!

Isn't this all about the difference between us Brits and the Aussies and the differing climate.
Brits sunbathe 'cos we never get it in the UK. Maybe for a day or so in August, so we spend thousands flying to the Canaries to lie in the sun for some "emergency tanning".
I guess it's the same as anything (can't remember who said it) - when you can get something anytime, you don't want it. When you can't get it, it's all you think about.

Or something..........
You always want what you can't have....
Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:57 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think it goes back to the days when a tan was a status symbol because it showed you could afford to fly away to an sunny location.

Originally Posted by tofster
LOL !!

Or something..........
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:48 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I found out about eye cancer the last time I visited the optometrist (suspected retinal detachment, thankfully it wasn't but it gave me a scare), who told me had freckles on the backs of my eyes! I'm a lot more careful about wearing sunglasses after finding out about that...
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:14 am
late starter

Rhubarborama is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mo33
Just wondering if all you lucky people down under spend much time sunbathing? I know that if we book a holiday for 2 weeks we are out in it all day (with lots of sunscreen on!!) Does the novelty of the sun and getting a tan soon wear off?? Is there anyone out there that's still got an english rose complexion??
A Perth pom who craved a deep tan
Went to sleep in the sun in mid Jan
Without block, hat or hair
He cooked medium rare
Now his skins like the elephant man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.