Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much sunbathing do you all do??

How much sunbathing do you all do??

Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much sunbathing do you all do??

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
and eye cancer something I'd never even knew existed. Jan

Eye cancer ?

Neither did I.

I wear glasses, so can't wear sunglasses. This may be a worry !
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
I see quite a few sunbathers around here. They are usually pommy migrants. Some look like Egyptian mummies with skin like an old shammy leather.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

No sunbathing for me. I'm fairly pale skinned and I find it boring and then I start getting too hot and irritated. If I'm going out in the sun has to be at least 30 factor sun cream, and hat. I love the heat but not the sun, can't even sit in it for too long, a nice big umbrella or a shady spot for me. I wish parasols were still in fashion they'd be just the thing for me

Dolly
Old Feb 10th 2007, 2:50 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elmtree

Many opticians advertise two pairs of specs for the price of one, so spectacle-wearers usually take prescription sunglasses as their 2nd pair.
The Cancer Foundation also sell sun glasses. These are wide enough and deep enough to go over most spectacles. They're shaped so the the sun doesn't get in over the top or down the sides; they're not trendy, but they're the safest glasses on the market.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Many opticians advertise two pairs of specs for the price of one, so spectacle-wearers usually take prescription sunglasses as their 2nd pair.
The Cancer Foundation also sell sun glasses. These are wide enough and deep enough to go over most spectacles. They're shaped so the the sun doesn't get in over the top or down the sides; they're not trendy, but they're the safest glasses on the market.

Duly noted.

Thank you.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

When we spent our 6 months in Perth we didn't sunbathe - both hubby and I are very pale and covered ourselves in factor 30+ whenever we went out. Also I have lots of moles which I have to be careful of.

There were a few times when bits of skin got missed - Mr. MP missed a patch on his shoulder about the size of a 50p and he blistered horribly. He still has a scar and this was after just 20 minutes of sun. And one time we drove down to Margaret River and I had my arm out of the car window - it wasn't even really sunny but I was very pink when we got there! After a few weeks further north in WA (Kalbarri) I actually found myself with a bit of a tan but it looked a bit strange, being a redhead.

My teenage cousins have grown up in Perth - one is pale and freckly and the other is olive skinned. Both wear sunscreen ALL the time yet they still have a light tan because they do so much sport outdoors. Neither of them sunbathe. My friend (also a born and bred aussie) is the palest person you will ever see. Her skin is so white it's almost translucent. She looks so beautiful (and ten years younger than her age of 29) because she never lets the sun blink on her.

Pale and interesting - that's the way to go.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

I do love lying in the sun but only really on holiday as thats what its for but from april onwards i will get used to not jumping in the garden at the first sign of hot sunny weather.
In england its the only thing thats bad for you that you can do freely with out getting taxed on eg smoking , drinking , driving , even eating now , so i wonder how many poeple worry about skin cancer and still smoke 20 a day i bet there are a few.

oh well il still enjoy the sun in oz and id wouldnt swap it for manchesters grey depressing sky ever
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Both cataracts and macular degeneration, not to mention solar retinal burns are all linked to some degree to UV exposure. It is vitally important in this climate to wear 100%UV blocking sunglasses to help prevent these conditions. Cataracts can be safely removed and the vast majority of us will end up with them in our lifetimes anyway, but macular degeneration and retinal damage are permanent. My children and I do not ever go out without UV protection on our eyes as well as our skin. Any sunglasses sold in Australia have to meet the 100% protection guidelines, so whether you pay $10 or $1000 for a pair they will protect you the same. Your best bet is the largest ones you can get that protect your entire eye area and if you can find them, the ones with the side shields are best.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Both cataracts and macular degeneration, not to mention solar retinal burns are all linked to some degree to UV exposure. It is vitally important in this climate to wear 100%UV blocking sunglasses to help prevent these conditions. Cataracts can be safely removed and the vast majority of us will end up with them in our lifetimes anyway, but macular degeneration and retinal damage are permanent. My children and I do not ever go out without UV protection on our eyes as well as our skin. Any sunglasses sold in Australia have to meet the 100% protection guidelines, so whether you pay $10 or $1000 for a pair they will protect you the same. Your best bet is the largest ones you can get that protect your entire eye area and if you can find them, the ones with the side shields are best.

It had never occurred to me that eyes can be at risk, so I'm glad this has been brought up and advice offered.

If we ever get to Aus I shall invest in some suitable sunglasses to go over my glasses.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It had never occurred to me that eyes can be at risk, so I'm glad this has been brought up and advice offered.

If we ever get to Aus I shall invest in some suitable sunglasses to go over my glasses.

Untinted, yes I said untinted, hi density plastic lenses offer plenty of protection from UV rays. I've been wearing bins all my life, and have had plenty of chats with optomotrists about this subject, especially as I worked outside for the first 16 years I was here. Sunglasses would have prevented me from reading meters effectively. Check with your optometrist when you get here.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Untinted, yes I said untinted, hi density plastic lenses offer plenty of protection from UV rays. I've been wearing bins all my life, and have had plenty of chats with optomotrists about this subject, especially as I worked outside for the first 16 years I was here. Sunglasses would have prevented me from reading meters effectively. Check with your optometrist when you get here.

Will do.

Thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

NONE NONE NONE.

The sun is far too strong!! Youll get brown just walking around.

Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:50 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Its not the weak Pommie sun over here, spend 1 hour sunbathing under the summer sun on a clear cloudless day and you will look like an Aboriginal.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:51 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mo33
Just wondering if all you lucky people down under spend much time sunbathing? I know that if we book a holiday for 2 weeks we are out in it all day (with lots of sunscreen on!!) Does the novelty of the sun and getting a tan soon wear off?? Is there anyone out there that's still got an english rose complexion??
As with the others

sunbathing = smoking in terms of cancer risk

In Oz you get used to applying every morning before you step out. Reapplying on a regular basis dependent on the exposure (note this is not the same as whether its sunny - cloudy days are just as potent).

Even with Factor 60+ and a full UV suit, our daughter is getting a tan.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Eye cancer ?

Neither did I.

get prescription glasses for sunnies here, they are a lot stronger and darker than UK ones. I bought my pair in Boots in UK and they were no use at all!!! Went to opticians here and have the biggest darkest pair I could get for $140!!! Well worth it.

Talking of burning the eyes we went to the beach a few weeks ago and I always put the coloured stuff under the kids eyes it was a very windy day, and they were in the sea all the time, I didnt re-apply the coloured stick stuff and OMG my poor kids eyes were burnt red underneath, that is the first time EVER, my kids have burnt , God did I feel guilty

The coloured stick stuff needs to be put onto ears as well, as there is a very hiigh amount of people with tops of ears missing due to skin cancer, (reckon thats why have the boys here have long hair), make sure if your litle boy or girl has short hair, sunblock is applied.

Kath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.